FANDOM

• It seems recently Wikia introduced this auto-play video feature where "relevant" videos play on large, popular articles on each wikia.

What I'm not happy with his how this has been introduced. I'd rather it found videos that were added to the wiki and played them according to relevance, rather than choosing videos from YouTube and other websites. Why? Because we know what we are uploading, and we do not want other people to be getting their videos automatically added to articles that we haven't checked through.

To put this into some kind of context, here's an example:

http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicles_in_GTA_V

All the data on the article is factual, however a random video now plays on the top of this article and contradicts all the information on this article. "5 Fastest Vehicles in Grand Theft Auto 5" - the problem is, the video is completely wrong. Whoever made the video didn't understand the game and has actually made factual errors which make our content look wrong - Why is Wikia randomly picking videos? Can we not have a setting which only allows videos uploaded to that Wiki to play, instead of any random video from any website? This isn't fair, it makes documentation seem nonfactual and inaccurate, it's deceiving our views.

Loading editor
    • The video is custom-made, rather than random, but we do want it to be accurate.

Could you send in details of the mistakes to Special:Contact/general? We'll get that info passed straight on to the video creation team. Thanks!

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      The video is custom-made, rather than random, but we do want it to be accurate.

Could you send in details of the mistakes to Special:Contact/general? We'll get that info passed straight on to the video creation team. Thanks!

Is there any way to delete those videos? It's really anoying to have a big video above of some articles, It kinda destroys the page

Loading editor
    • MasterOkabe wrote:

Kirkburn wrote:
      The video is custom-made, rather than random, but we do want it to be accurate.

Is there any way to delete those videos? It's really anoying to have a big video above of some articles, It kinda destroys the page

Add the following to your personal CSS.

.article-video .ooyala-article-video, .featured-video-wrapper {
       display: none;
      }
        Loading editor
    • @Original Authority I used it yesterday. Thanks! The code doesn't work for me anymore. Wikia is way more powerful than we thought.

@MasterOkabe Late reply, but I also heard from AnimationFan (on Lynn Loud Jr.'s article in TLH wiki) that you can get banned by Wikia if you attempt to remove the big autoplay video. Like, what the frick? That's very harsh.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message