FANDOM


  • SayuriDarling
    SayuriDarling closed this thread because:
    Do not bump old threads. Make a new one.
    17:24, December 6, 2018

    When looking at frames, it autoplays videos, if you don't notice, as it starts muted, it will continue to play more and more videos until you finally notice. If you leave the page open, it can be using up bandwith for days. Even if you do notice, it's just annoying to have to pause it every time, not to mention that if you pause it before it has loaded, it will still play and you have to pause again. It's a small thing but as someone who's constantly trying to learn about frames, this is massively annoying. 

    So please just stop it. 

    I'm aware this is probably not the right place for this topic, but i couldn't find anything better. If you know of a better place, please tell me. 

      Loading editor
    • Get an adblocker and you won't have this problem.

        Loading editor
    • Featured videos include a preference to disable autoplay for two weeks at a time. There's a gear icon on the lower right of the player; clicking on that gives you the option to turn autoplay off. It's a global setting so will work on any article or wiki you visit. 

        Loading editor
    • just relax, have a sandwich and enjoy this...

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXJaVuNpfU

        Loading editor
    • Jenburton wrote: Featured videos include a preference to disable autoplay for two weeks at a time. There's a gear icon on the lower right of the player; clicking on that gives you the option to turn autoplay off. It's a global setting so will work on any article or wiki you visit. 

      I thought that was only possible for non-US viewers.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      Jenburton wrote: Featured videos include a preference to disable autoplay for two weeks at a time. There's a gear icon on the lower right of the player; clicking on that gives you the option to turn autoplay off. It's a global setting so will work on any article or wiki you visit. 

      I thought that was only possible for non-US viewers.

      Nope, the preference setting is global. 

        Loading editor
    • Jenburton wrote:
      Andrewds1021 wrote:

      Jenburton wrote: Featured videos include a preference to disable autoplay for two weeks at a time. There's a gear icon on the lower right of the player; clicking on that gives you the option to turn autoplay off. It's a global setting so will work on any article or wiki you visit. 

      I thought that was only possible for non-US viewers.
      Nope, the preference setting is global. 

      Forgive my asking soemthing as obviovus as this...but why even have autoplay in the first place?

      80px-PMCS Red Snifit Idle Animated Yo.-User:Fan26 (Talk) 16:33, October 9, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • Fan26 wrote:
      Jenburton wrote:
      Andrewds1021 wrote:

      Jenburton wrote: Featured videos include a preference to disable autoplay for two weeks at a time. There's a gear icon on the lower right of the player; clicking on that gives you the option to turn autoplay off. It's a global setting so will work on any article or wiki you visit. 

      I thought that was only possible for non-US viewers.
      Nope, the preference setting is global. 
      Forgive my asking soemthing as obviovus as this...but why even have autoplay in the first place?

      80px-PMCS Red Snifit Idle Animated Yo.-User:Fan26 (Talk) 16:33, October 9, 2017 (UTC)

      We use autoplay in order to be able to reduce the number of ads on each page. We're using high value preroll ads in front of great video content; in order to make those ads of high value, the videos need to autoplay.

        Loading editor
    • Perhaps I am missing something. When I go to Special:Preferences and look through the tabs, I do not see any option to turn off auto-play. Is it tied in with the display ads option?

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021, In an early comment I explained that the preference setting for autoplay video is on the video player itself. 

        Loading editor
    • I see. My bad.

        Loading editor
    • Nooki2 wrote:
      relax and enjoy this one...

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfeVRWpVBs

      Please stop it with these random videos.

      Jenburton wrote:
      Andrewds1021, In an early comment I explained that the preference setting for autoplay video is on the video player itself.

      And that only works for two weeks, correct?

        Loading editor
    • Fan26 wrote:
      Nooki2 wrote:
      relax and enjoy this one...

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfeVRWpVBs

      Please stop it with these random videos.


      Jenburton wrote:
      Andrewds1021, In an early comment I explained that the preference setting for autoplay video is on the video player itself.
      And that only works for two weeks, correct?

      Correct - after two weeks you'll need to reset the preference.

        Loading editor
    • Nooki2 wrote:
      why don't you watch this one...???

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXJaVuNpfU

      Why don't you stop spamming threads with non-relevant videos?

        Loading editor
    • Fan26 wrote:

      Nooki2 wrote:
      why don't you watch this one...???

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXJaVuNpfU

      Why don't you stop spamming threads with non-relevant videos?

      That I agree on. Anyway, in my opinion, the autoplay feature is something used to just make you watch and (as I've said before) shove ads down peoples throats. I don't really mind the autoplay feature, since I just take the video off my sidebar so I can actually read or monitor something.

        Loading editor
    • JamesTheNerdKing wrote:

      Fan26 wrote:

      Nooki2 wrote:
      why don't you watch this one...???

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXJaVuNpfU

      Why don't you stop spamming threads with non-relevant videos?
      That I agree on. Anyway, in my opinion, the autoplay feature is something used to just make you watch and (as I've said before) shove ads down peoples throats. I don't really mind the autoplay feature, since I just take the video off my sidebar so I can actually read or monitor something.

      I do that too. It only causes problems for me when I'm in desktop mode on my phone for one reason or another, and the button to make it dissapear is extra-small.

        Loading editor
    • I think it is worth reiterating that these are part of the new ad system. By using this method, Wikia, at least in theory, doesn't have to run as many ads. The number of ads was previously a major complaint.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I think it is worth reiterating that these are part of the new ad system. By using this method, Wikia, at least in theory, doesn't have to run as many ads. The number of ads was previously a major complaint.

      From my view, I haven't noticed a major difference in the amount of ads. On certain wikis home pages, there's still an ad on the side, and if you're not logged in, there's a large ad on the top of the page. I will say ad amounts are somewhat decent, but I haven't noticed a change.

        Loading editor
    • JamesTheNerdKing wrote:

      Andrewds1021 wrote: I think it is worth reiterating that these are part of the new ad system. By using this method, Wikia, at least in theory, doesn't have to run as many ads. The number of ads was previously a major complaint.

      From my view, I haven't noticed a major difference in the amount of ads. On certain wikis home pages, there's still an ad on the side, and if you're not logged in, there's a large ad on the top of the page. I will say ad amounts are somewhat decent, but I haven't noticed a change.

      Hi JamesTheNerdKing, 

      We explain the new ad mix on Wiki Modernization: New Ad Layout is Now Live; main pages were not included in the new ad mix changes. The Featured Video project has allowed us to reduce the total number of advertisements on article pages by 30%. 

        Loading editor
    • Jenburton wrote:

      JamesTheNerdKing wrote:

      Andrewds1021 wrote: I think it is worth reiterating that these are part of the new ad system. By using this method, Wikia, at least in theory, doesn't have to run as many ads. The number of ads was previously a major complaint.

      From my view, I haven't noticed a major difference in the amount of ads. On certain wikis home pages, there's still an ad on the side, and if you're not logged in, there's a large ad on the top of the page. I will say ad amounts are somewhat decent, but I haven't noticed a change.

      Hi JamesTheNerdKing, 

      We explain the new ad mix on Wiki Modernization: New Ad Layout is Now Live; main pages were not included in the new ad mix changes. The Featured Video project has allowed us to reduce the total number of advertisements on article pages by 30%. 

      That's good. The video quality isn't, but less ads are good.

        Loading editor
    • I'd like to know who is going to pick up the data bill for shoving all of these videos in our faces constantly.

        Loading editor
    • 73.37.0.14 wrote: I'd like to know who is going to pick up the data bill for shoving all of these videos in our faces constantly.

      Creating a registered account would help.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      73.37.0.14 wrote: I'd like to know who is going to pick up the data bill for shoving all of these videos in our faces constantly.

      Creating a registered account would help.

      And probably a new thread too. Older ones are rarely replied to.

        Loading editor
    • Fan26 wrote:

      Andrewds1021 wrote:

      73.37.0.14 wrote: I'd like to know who is going to pick up the data bill for shoving all of these videos in our faces constantly.

      Creating a registered account would help.

      And probably a new thread too. Older ones are rarely replied to.

      Only one who commented before might reply. Other than that, even though no one else is likely to reply, it's a waste of time to make a new thread.

        Loading editor
    • There's an option to disable auto-play for two weeks at a time. Simply click the gear button on the lower right corner of the video window. We'll be releasing the same feature on mobile very soon. 

        Loading editor
    • As for mobile, can the autoplay be programmed to respect the data plan? As in, if the mobile is on wifi, can it autoplay? 

        Loading editor
    • Unfortunately, sniffing for data vs wifi is totally unreliable at this time. We have just released the ability to disable auto-play on mobile (today) so mobile users can go ahead and disable autoplay now. 

        Loading editor
    • Why not just make it so that the ad automatically plays, but the video doesn't. Then people won't "suck up bandwidth for days" or (especially in my case) overwhelm their browser and cause it to crash. I see no reason that an ad cannot be made to autoplay but the video itself doesn't. Irregardless, I do not personally like video ads on pages that don't even have videos on the wiki... but that's beside the point. There's no reason to go off topic.

        Loading editor
    • Colouratura wrote:
      Get an adblocker and you won't have this problem.

      But if i block the video, the other pages disappear.

        Loading editor
    • How do I get rid of these ads on mobile? I literally cannot read any page because the damn video takes up half the fucking window.

        Loading editor
    • Please start a new thread. This one is both old and about a different topic.

        Loading editor
    • Brandon Rhea
      Brandon Rhea removed this reply because:
      Inappropriate comment
      07:50, November 6, 2018
      This reply has been removed
    • I recommend uBlock Origin (available on Edge, Chrome, and Firefox). I used to allow ads on wikia before the autoplaying videos were introduced, but now they get the block.

        Loading editor
    • Again, please don't bump old threads unless you have something really critical to say. Additionally, the issues with using an ad blocker have been discussed many times. Also, featured videos are not ads.

        Loading editor
    • Mikepompei wrote:

      Kiggerniller6969 wrote:
      I recommend uBlock Origin (available on Edge, Chrome, and Firefox). I used to allow ads on wikia before the autoplaying videos were introduced, but now they get the block.

      How do you block the videos? I don't think the default lists have rules for that

      As stated above multiple times to many people, please don't bump old threads. Just create a new one if you need your question answered.

        Loading editor
    • Users are free to remind others of general etiquette. Adding "kindly" doesn't make you polite.

        Loading editor
    • If you think that's what we're doing, by all means, ignore us. We'd be wasting our time helping you out.

        Loading editor
    • Mikepompei wrote:
      Mikepompei wrote:
      Kiggerniller6969 wrote:
      I recommend uBlock Origin (available on Edge, Chrome, and Firefox). I used to allow ads on wikia before the autoplaying videos were introduced, but now they get the block.
      How do you block the videos? I don't think the default lists have rules for that
      The solution has been found. Add this line to your blocker of choice:

      fandom.com##.featured-video

      Whoa.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message