FANDOM

• Noreplyz
    Noreplyz closed this thread because:
    If you have any questions, please post a new forum post. Thanks!
    21:50, March 24, 2018

As we announced on our Monday Technical Update post, FANDOM is shifting to a four-times-a-week release strategy. This change will begin next Monday, October 23rd. Releases will now occur on: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. FANDOM does not schedule code releases on Friday to prevent any bugged releases that might affect the site over the weekend.

As a result, the bi-weekly blog will be discontinued after today. Release notes will be posted here the day before the code release date. So for example, on Monday we will post notes regarding Tuesday's code release. Friday will be the date we post Monday's code release notes and as such the first notes here will be posted on Friday, October 20th.

You can follow this board to get notifications for the new notes.

If you've never read our Technical Updates blog, we'd strongly recommend you subscribe now. These notes provide critical bug fix, configuration changes, and new feature information. It's the easiest way to see what's changing daily at FANDOM!

Loading editor
    • How will people be able to track old release notes? Will there be a topic or category?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: How will people be able to track old release notes? Will there be a topic or category?

We will not be deleting the blogs. They will remain on our site for such archival purposes.

Loading editor
    • Ok thx

Loading editor
    • Can you add the this board in the local navigation or somewhere in the News section?

Loading editor
    • DaNASCAT wrote: You can follow this board to get notifications for the new notes.

Meh, 15.10., 19.10., I hope (or fear?) that "follow" has an effect like "showing up on my watchlist", which I'll certainly flip to "nofollow" if it ends up as "changed at least four times per week". Also see Thread:1327746.:-P

Loading editor
    • Ok thx 

Loading editor
    • Why let anyone post to this board?

Loading editor
    • DaNASCAT wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: How will people be able to track old release notes? Will there be a topic or category?

We will not be deleting the blogs. They will remain on our site for such archival purposes.

I was actually talking about release notes going forward, but I guess if only release notes will appear in this board, I guess that's okay.

Loading editor
    • Also, I got another question. Can you make it so that users won't be able to create threads in this board?

Loading editor
    • I hate this get it back to normal it erased my coding and page it have lots of info AND YOU JUST RUINED IT

Loading editor
    • Interesting.

Loading editor
    • Sneakycool00 wrote: I hate this get it back to normal it erased my coding and page it have lots of info AND YOU JUST RUINED IT

Have you tried submitting a bug report? (Special:Contact/bug on the wiki you have the issue on)

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: Also, I got another question. Can you make it so that users won't be able to create threads in this board?

They can, by setting up an abuse filter against it. I don't think it would be as much of an issue, though.

Also, will users be pointed to the link to watch the board at the bottom of every technical update so they could properly receive notifications about technical updates?

Loading editor
    • Why is all this happening now?

Loading editor
    • Vicerion wrote: Why is all this happening now?

Read their previous blog post.

Loading editor
    • Ok

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Noreplyz removed this reply because:
      off topic
      12:07, October 19, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      13:37, October 19, 2017
    • Wow

Loading editor
    • Please note that we've put in place an AbuseFilter block to prevent non-staff from creating threads in this board already :)

Loading editor
    • DaNASCAT wrote:
      As we announced on our Monday Technical Update post, FANDOM is shifting to a four-times-a-week release strategy. This change will begin next Monday, October 23rd. Releases will now occur on: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. FANDOM does not schedule code releases on Friday to prevent any bugged releases that might affect the site over the weekend.

As a result, the bi-weekly blog will be discontinued after today. Release notes will be posted here the day before the code release date. So for example, on Monday we will post notes regarding Tuesday's code release. Friday will be the date we post Monday's code release notes and as such the first notes here will be posted on Friday, October 20th.

If you've never read our Technical Updates blog, we'd strongly recommend you subscribe now. These notes provide critical bug fix, configuration changes, and new feature information. It's the easiest way to see what's changing daily at FANDOM!

ummm i just joined and i have no idea what this is... HELP!!!!!!!!

Loading editor
    • Lilyrose234 wrote:

DaNASCAT wrote:

ummm i just joined and i have no idea what this is... HELP!!!!!!!!

Developers work on software and they post updates in a forum instead of blogs.

Loading editor
    • DaNASCAT wrote: Please note that we've put in place an AbuseFilter block to prevent non-staff from creating threads in this board already :)

I just tested it. The abuse filter works.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy
      JustLeafy removed this reply because:
      Wh not
      02:58, October 20, 2017
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      22:42, October 19, 2017
    • TIL following an entire board forces you to get notifications for every reply in every thread in that board, even if you're not following any thread.

Please someone deal with the spam above.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote: TIL following an entire board forces you to get notifications for every reply in every thread in that board, even if you're not following any thread.

Please someone deal with the spam above.

Special:Contact/feedback... ;-)

Loading editor
    • Hi! How do you get forum on the wiki navigation? I need this help over at w:c:themagicschoolbus2 because we need to get the forum activated. We only have discussions which is weird.

Loading editor
    • Discussions are replacing Forums, so all new wikis will be created with them already installed. Only older wikis will have Forums and eventually those will be replaced with Discussions as well.

Loading editor
    • Rogueforvogue wrote: Hi! How do you get forum on the wiki navigation? I need this help over at w:c:themagicschoolbus2 because we need to get the forum activated. We only have discussions which is weird.

This is the wrong forum board for this question, but... if you never had Forum, you can't get it. You're stuck with Discussions.

Loading editor
    • Woohoo

Loading editor
    • And this is the problem with forum logs...

Loading editor
    • Yep, lots of irrelevant stuff and I doubt it'll go away. Creates notification frustration. One reason I'm not a huge supporter of this change. Perhaps one way around that would be some way to just get notifications for new threads, not new replies. Or give users the option to choose between the two though I doubt such an addition will ever happen.

Loading editor
    • Change will always happen @DEmersonJMFM you just have to live with it as Fandom is working on trying to be user friendly for ALL users and these updates will help "lets hope" because there are bugs on here that need fixing and they just have to take it one at a time.

Also if you don't want to see the replies to this thread why don't you just unfollow it and not get the notifications that come from it.

Loading editor
    • Enchanted Iris wrote:

Also if you don't want to see the replies to this thread why don't you just unfollow it and not get the notifications that come from it.

That's the problem. Some of us are following the board this thread is in, which, for some reason, gives us notifications for every reply to every thread in this board.

Loading editor
    • Honestly I’m having doubts about this setup. Unless each & every update is its own thread, rather than have one thread per week, then the updates will be lost amidst the replies & difficult to sort through for historical purposes.

I suggest that each update be its own thread so that the main thread will have the update info, & the replies will be like the comments were with the old blog format. I also suggest that the AbuseFilter be amended to prevent non-autoconfirmed accounts from participating in this board; the justification for which can be easily seen above. Similarly to blogs, I suggest that threads be auto-closed with JavaScript after the newest thread has been out for a few days, to stymie the barrage of notifications that necroposting in this board would inundate users with, assuming said users have followed the board.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

Enchanted Iris wrote:

That's the problem. Some of us are following the board this thread is in, which, for some reason, gives us notifications for every reply to every thread in this board.

Hence the reason I said to unfollow it and then you won't get the notifications if it's such a big deal.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      22:40, October 19, 2017
    • Enchanted Iris wrote:
      Hence the reason I said to unfollow it and then you won't get the notifications if it's such a big deal.
      Then we will not be able to keep up with the updates, which we need to view. Comments we don’t need, the update information we do.
        Loading editor
    • Ok

Loading editor
    • I found that a new wiki had forum. How can that be? It is w:c:themagicschoolbusridesagain and they have forum and we were created before them

Loading editor
    • Is that even possible? 

Loading editor
    • If it is, it ain't fair to me

I really need forum!

Loading editor
    • Please, this is not the thread for this. This is a better conversation to be had at Board:Support Requests - Getting Started, or you can take your questions directly to Staff via Special:Contact/general.

Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:
      Enchanted Iris wrote:
      Then we will not be able to keep up with the updates, which we need to view. Comments we don’t need, the update information we do.

You can always save the page to get the information you need about the new updates without having to follow the thread.

Also @Rogue discussions are basically the same thing as forums so in all honesty you will be using the same thing.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      22:41, October 19, 2017
    • Enchanted Iris wrote:
      You can always save the page to get the information you need about the new updates without having to follow the thread.
      Yes but we would not be alerted about the information as it comes out, which is a luxury we previously enjoyed in the old format.
        Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:
      Enchanted Iris wrote:
      Yes but we would not be alerted about the information as it comes out, which is a luxury we previously enjoyed in the old format.

You can easily check the thread daily when your on and don't need to be alerted of it as I just saved it and unfollowed it as I don't need to be alerted of something that I can easily check on.

Loading editor
    • I can easily do many things, but at some point the accumulation of "easy" things becomes difficult things.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      I can easily do many things, but at some point the accumulation of "easy" things becomes difficult things.

No not really just because many easy things build up that doesn't mean they get harder because you let them sit there it's not hard to save a page and then go back to it when you need to be in the know on anything it's not rocket science it's just save the page and then go back afterwards when you need to see the update not hard at all.

I won't reply again as I have something else to do.

Loading editor
    • It would be a benefit to have notifications considering the releases will be nearly daily. In my eyes that's the only benefit of moving from blog to forum. More people seeing the release or it being "user friendly" doesn't really matter if they don't know what the threads are meant for or come to post randomly.

@Enchanted Iris - Perhaps you can "easily" remember to check something everyday, applying more work to yourself simply to allow others free run to light up people's notifications for no reason sounds pretty stupid to me. I shouldn't have to save a page and look constantly for changes when a notification system exists. A lot of us would much rather spend our time elsewhere, like managing and adding to wikis with whatever free time we actually have, but could benefit from these updates and the following on-topic discussion/updates notifications can provide.

Loading editor
    • It seems very interesting and it will be welcome as long as it doesn't negatively affect the communities.

Thanks for the support.

Loading editor
    • Thx 

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Off topic.
      03:21, October 21, 2017
    • Thanks

Loading editor
    • oh ty for this it was helpful!

Loading editor
    • My account on Rocky and Bullwinkle Wiki is blocked by Trivialist and PyroGothNerd, what can i do to rescue all accounts

Loading editor
    • Mead-April-Dufour wrote: My account on Rocky and Bullwinkle Wiki is blocked by Trivialist and PyroGothNerd, what can i do to rescue all accounts

Sorry, that's not what this board is for. Contact the admins on their wall here on Community Central. Please remain calm, civil and nonconfrontational when you explain things.

Loading editor
    • How to find a way to contact the admins

Loading editor
    • I can contacted them, that's what can i do to get any chances to edits on Rocky and Bullwinkle Wiki to get an admin as adoption and user right

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Off topic
      03:04, October 22, 2017
    • Wikia is one of the biggest sites on the Internet. When are we going to switch to HTTPS?

Loading editor
    • Anythingspossibleforapossible wrote: Wikia is one of the biggest sites on the Internet. When are we going to switch to HTTPS?

Read this.

Loading editor

And I happened to stumble opon this.

._.

Loading editor
    • (posts a comment due to the desire of wanting notifications relating to this thread XD)

Loading editor
    • Hi all! A reminder to please keep this thread on topic - posts should be relevant and related to technical updates. Off topic posts will be removed.

For general or technical help, post a new thread at the Getting Started board or the Getting Technical board respectively.

For general conversations or live help, feel free to join us at Special:Chat, or at the General Discussion board!

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      Off topic
      03:19, October 22, 2017
    • Hang on... So if your not getting rid of blogs, what are you doing with em? Reorganizing them?

Cause I'm NOT reading through all that...

Loading editor
    • Is it okay if I reported a bug in here?

Anyways, about this bug, in the Forums, there are some threads that are stated that they were edited by other people, even non-staff members.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: Anyways, about this bug, in the Forums, there are some threads that are stated that they were edited by other people, even non-staff members.

Adding a topic is an "edit." No sure if this is truly a bug.

Loading editor
    • Chillerrr1234 wrote: Hang on... So if your not getting rid of blogs, what are you doing with em? Reorganizing them?

The Blogs feature isn't going anywhere (as far as I know) - they're a crucial part to most communities.

Using threads should make the technical updates easier to read - the latest update is short and sweet :)

Loading editor
    • Aiihuan
      Aiihuan removed this reply because:
      Off-topic
      08:09, October 22, 2017
    • Noreplyz
      Off topic
      12:16, October 22, 2017
    • Noreplyz wrote:

Chillerrr1234 wrote: Hang on... So if your not getting rid of blogs, what are you doing with em? Reorganizing them?

The Blogs feature isn't going anywhere (as far as I know) - they're a crucial part to most communities.

Using threads should make the technical updates easier to read - the latest update is short and sweet :)

Okay, good.

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: Anyways, about this bug, in the Forums, there are some threads that are stated that they were edited by other people, even non-staff members.

Adding a topic is an "edit." No sure if this is truly a bug.

I have just discovered that the first person who has edited their reply has also "edited" the thread, so it pretty much is a bug.

Loading editor
    • Release notes are always a pia, not just writing them, but more so the delivery process and exactly how they get disseminated. This kind of thing always happens. I cant think of any mechanism in the current set of promoted facilities in the wikis that would offer a good forum for these, unless someone just went old school and made a page of links and pages with actual notes, which would leave the discussion portion more opaque and more clicks away.

Maybe one day, if there is not a way to do this already, there will be a release note that explains new discussion forum feature with a button on the actual Forum page, to let wiki users get notified when new discussion thread is started.

Loading editor
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
      03:01, October 23, 2017
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Noreplyz
      Off topic
      22:58, October 22, 2017
    • Noreplyz
      00:14, October 23, 2017
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
      03:00, October 23, 2017
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Mead-April-Dufour wrote: Please i can contact another admin to unblocks me on Rocky and Bullwinkle Wiki

This is not the place for that.

Locate an Admin of that wikia and contact them on their Central Wall. Make your plea *once*, be ready to accept their decision when they make it.

Loading editor
    • Alright

Loading editor
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Well I'm going to have to unsub. There's no way admins of Community are going to have time to mod stuff like this, which is a delicate issue banning people from the actual community site. I'm sure maybe part of Fandys point.

Too many emails.

As a side note, the person who is asking to be unbanned is mostly trolling. Lots of history. There's no problem to fix, unless a staff overrides the admins Bullwinkle which could never justify after reading history.

Loading editor
    • I thought I was going to like these forum thread updates . . . Now I'm reminded that past forum posts by Staff were always hijacked like this and yet, for whatever reason, blogs were left alone.

Loading editor
    • )
        Loading editor
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
    • While I am glad that there is a new forum for technical updates, I kinda agree with Annabeth and Percy about the forum hijacking.

Loading editor
    • Well you may vary well end up being the first ban here. You know where you are.

Loading editor
    • Another reminder to please keep this thread relevant to technical updates. Please see forum for relevant places for your posts.
      Also, if someone brings up something off-topic, then it would be good to not engage with their topic on here - consider doing it on their message wall instead, so that the off-topic discussion is not further continued.

Loading editor
    • Rogueforvogue wrote: If it is, it ain't fair to me

I really need forum!

You don't. Forum threads will be discontinued globally and get replaced with Discussions. So it would be pointless to add forum threads if they aren't going to be kept indefinitely.

Loading editor
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
      08:28, October 23, 2017
    • Very Nice

Loading editor
    • awesome, glad to hear it!

Loading editor
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
      12:43, October 23, 2017
    • Yeah

Loading editor
    • Why haven't you already migrated from forums to discussions on the Community Wiki?

Loading editor
    • Discussions can't really be used on Community until it supports wikitext. Answering users questions about wiki issues pretty much requires it.

Loading editor
    • And TBH, I think Forums are more suitable for such types of discussions in here.

Loading editor
    • Aiihuan
      Off-topic
      02:50, October 24, 2017
    • JustLeafy wrote: And TBH, I think Forums are more suitable for such types of discussions in here.

Yeah, for announcements and release notes, Discussions would probably okay, but having both Forum and Discussions on a wiki is pretty confusing.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: And TBH, I think Forums are more suitable for such types of discussions in here.

Yeah, for announcements and release notes, Discussions would probably okay, but having both Forum and Discussions on a wiki is pretty confusing.

I'm pretty sure Forums are gonna remain in here, the Dev Wiki, Portability Hub and in a couple other official wikis, as having Discussions in threads talking about community management, technical updates or issues, coding and all of that type of staff would be a somewhat bizarre environment for such topics.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

JustLeafy wrote: And TBH, I think Forums are more suitable for such types of discussions in here.

I so get this

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

I'm pretty sure Forums are gonna remain in here, the Dev Wiki, Portability Hub and in a couple other official wikis, as having Discussions in threads talking about community management, technical updates or issues, coding and all of that type of staff would be a somewhat bizarre environment for such topics.

Doubt it. The consensus was that they were removing threaded forums from all wikis.

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote: Doubt it. The consensus was that they were removing threaded forums from all wikis.

Yeah, but whatever I said could possibly happen.

Loading editor
    • What's the difference between 24 hours ago, and one day ago?

24 Hours vs 1 Day
        Loading editor
    • Matthew Cenance wrote: What's the difference between 24 hours ago, and one day ago?

24 Hours vs 1 Day

Maybe the timestamp turns into "1 day ago" when it is technically 1 day and 1 hour old. Not sure though, but these are my thoughts.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Matthew Cenance wrote: What's the difference between 24 hours ago, and one day ago?

24 Hours vs 1 Day

Maybe the timestamp turns into "1 day ago" when it is technically 1 day and 1 hour old. Not sure though, but these are my thoughts.

24 hours could be a round up of 23 hours and some minutes.

Loading editor
    • my bad, wrong discussion. removed

Loading editor
    • I think more people will know that you've transitioned to the forums for technical update logs if you put it in the wiki navigation at the top of the Community Central Wiki in the forum listing.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      10:47, November 3, 2017
    • Noreplyz
      Off topic
      02:33, November 4, 2017
    • Noreplyz
      Off topic
      02:33, November 4, 2017
    • TheOneFootTallBrickWall
      TheOneFootTallBrickWall removed this reply because:
      off topic
      21:23, November 4, 2017
    • Cqm

Ater giving this new format a chance for a couple of weeks, I'm not convinced it's an improvement. Where previously you could:

1. Find a chronological listing of technical updates.
      2. Search for terms within an update.
      3. Have a single discussion about an update.

You no longer can.

Forum boards are ordered by the last post rather than the date they were posted, making it hard to see an overview of recent updates. The thread namespace is pretty much unsearchable due to one of the many questionable side-effects of its implementation. I searched for DPL in Board, Board Thread and Wall thread and got nothing back (despite it literally being in the title of a recent post) but found relevant results of the same search of User blog and User blog comment. And due to the frequency of updates now, having a conversation about an update or bug is fragmented across twice as many threads. While it was always recommended to send an email in about an issue, it was nice to ask if someone else had a similar issue or have a discussion about a change. With the fragmentation, that appears to have vanished.

The only redeeming feature is that you get notifications about new updates (which was a bug in blogs that was never fixed) and replies to comments.

Exactly how was a move to a feature being phased out in the near future due to the many, many issues it always had from its conception deemed to be an improvement?

Loading editor
    • While I agree with most of the above, I should note that you can sort by date via Board:Technical Updates.

Loading editor
    • Cqm

It appears you can indeed do that although it's not labelled as a sort (the only way you can tell it's a drop-down is because of the 8x4 px chevron) and "newest threads" is a little counter-intuitive as a label for me. Perhaps it's just my preference, but I had to pause for a few seconds to process what option I should pick. Maybe a " first" on the end and a "sort by" label would help that.

Loading editor
    • Ok

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz
      off topic
      00:39, December 15, 2017
    • Sounds interesting

Loading editor
    • Allison the fairy wrote: Sounds interesting

Problems: I have reported spam-vandalism. But that didn't work! How can I do this feature?

Loading editor
    • Hey there, please create a new thread to ask questions.

To report a user for vandalism or spam, go to the VSTF Wiki and hit the blue button.

Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote: Hey there, please create a new thread to ask questions.

To report a user for vandalism or spam, go to the VSTF Wiki and hit the blue button.

I'll try to close Polandball Wiki

Loading editor
    • VL761 wrote:

Noreplyz wrote: Hey there, please create a new thread to ask questions.

I'll try to close Polandball Wiki

Again, don't bump threads. And if you to close that wiki (although, I don't think it should be closed because it has a lot of decent content), do the following:

You can contact FANDOM Staff through the contact form on Special:Contact/close-wiki.

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message