FANDOM

• I’m sick and tired of Fandom Users spamming trillions of comments in one page. Also, according to the latest Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Act revision, anonymous users may not edit a wiki. Would it be great if Fandom Users didn’t exist and only registered users existed?

Loading editor
    • Individual communities are permitted to forbid anonymous contributors from editing, but to enforce such policies on a network-wide level would not only violate the spirit of collaborative editing for which wikis have long stood, but would also potentially damage FANDOM's ad revenue. Though I'd venture to say most anons read articles rather than edit them, if anons were to attempt to get involved by making minor spelling or syntax edits in a good-faith capacity, only to discover that they cannot edit in any way, it might dissuade them from ever returning to the site.

I personally was an anonymous contributor for many years before making any account; had anonymous editing been restricted on a network-wide level at that time, it's likely I would never have stuck around.

Loading editor
    • Also, COPPA does not say that.

COPPA stipulates that American companies cannot store personal information of people they know to be under 13. If you edit anonymously, you do not actually give FANDOM/Wikia any personal to store.

In practice, FANDOM/Wikia has disabled anonymous editing at a number of wikis geared towards a younger audience, to make sure those who want contribute register, and thus imply (or lie) that they're over 13. But this does not mean anonymous users may not edit any wiki.

Loading editor
    • No, that wouldn't be great, real attackers and vandals do have throw-away accounts.

Anonymous users sometimes cause minor damages, but sometimes their contributions are constructive. I contributed to Wikipedia e.a. from 2006 to 2011 and again from 2016 as IP because I've had it with admin abuse or stupid abuse filters as logged in user (most stupid Wikia filter: cannot write xxx, most stupid meta link-spam filter: cannot link to the mediawikiwiki custom search engine on commons.)

Of course very small wikis unable to organize any kind of recent change patrol are forced to insist on registered users, but that's not generally true. Besides the anonymous users pay the show here, they get the ads.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      Also, COPPA does not say that.

COPPA stipulates that American companies cannot store personal information of people they know to be under 13. If you edit anonymously, you do not actually give FANDOM/Wikia any personal to store.

In practice, FANDOM/Wikia has disabled anonymous editing at a number of wikis geared towards a younger audience, to make sure those who want contribute register, and thus imply (or lie) that they're over 13. But this does not mean anonymous users may not edit any wiki.

Has no relation with COPPA!

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message