FANDOM

• Hello there! You wrote Documentation/end box/doc, Documentation/end box2/doc, and Documentation/start box/doc. I was wondering if you would complete the series by writing [[Template:Documentation/docspace/doc|Documentation/docspace/doc]], [[Template:Documentation/start box2/doc|Documentation/start box2/doc]], and [[Template:Documentation/template page/doc|Documentation/template page/doc]]? I don't know what those subpages are doing. Lady Aleena (talk) 06:31, October 22, 2017 (UTC)

I nowiki'd the links to make them unwanted. Lady Aleena (talk) 06:58, October 27, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Lady Aleena wrote: Hello there! You wrote Documentation/end box/doc, Documentation/end box2/doc, and Documentation/start box/doc. I was wondering if you would complete the series by writing Template:Documentation/docspace/doc, Template:Documentation/start box2/doc, and Template:Documentation/template page/doc? I don't know what those subpages are doing. Lady Aleena (talk) 06:31, October 22, 2017 (UTC)

Basically it's a messy system imported from wikipedia:Template:Documentation, and I'm not at all convinced that it's a good idea. The basic concept is simple: A template can contain its own usage info + template categories in a <noinclude ></noinclude> part.
      For complex or protected templates it could be better to put that in a xyz/doc subpage, included with <noinclude>{{documentation}}</noinclude>, and xyz/doc maybe beginning with {{documentation subpage}}, because it's pretty and puts the xyz/doc in a category. So far, so simple, so good. It needs a null edit of xyz sometimes, to get new categories in xyz/doc.
      But then they (on enwiki) also wanted an optional xyz/sandbox for experiments and more features, creating an incredible mess. Somebody here was completely confused and started to reinsert categories from xyz/doc in xyz (for hundreds of templates with a bot), I tried to repair that manually as good as possible (testing the effect on the freeciv wiki).
      While at it I removed some convoluted "features", and well, some apparently missing red links are not really needed, sub-templates never used directly need no documentation.
      Whatever triggers these red sub/doc links could or should be fixed. Possibly I did that on the freeciv wiki, because red links annoy me, and forgot to also fix it here. Or I never figured out how to fix it. Or I fixed it also here, and it was reverted.
      But if you want to try it, have fun, the zealous admin armed with a bot is not more active. :-) ––Dunnoob 💩 08:02, October 22, 2017 (UTC)
        Loading editor
    • Just checked your wiki's wanted pages, the same things are wanted there too. I tried figuring out what triggers the need for /doc subpages but was unsuccessful. Maybe you'd have more luck. I have a feeling all of it would need to be torn completely apart and put back together.

What do you think? Lady Aleena (talk) 19:40, October 25, 2017 (UTC)

By the way, those /doc pages are showing up on wanted pages only. They are not showing up on wanted templates. Lady Aleena (talk) 19:43, October 25, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Two should be straight forward: Template:Documentation/docspace + Template:Documentation/template_page. For the 3rd I don't see immediately how to fix it.  :-(

To find oddities on Special:WantedPages you can click on the red link, answer a question about the template type (non-article will do), and click on "what links here" to find the reason, resulting in (example) Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Documentation/start_box2/doc.

I'll fix one of the two bogus "wanted here on a message wall" above, you can fix the other here, the 3rd (still) "wanted by {{Documentation/start box2}}" is the real issue.

If you have no better idea we can simply create the (un)wanted Template:Documentation/start box2/doc and put a dummy <noinclude>[[category:Template documentation| ]]</noinclude> in it. :-P

Loading editor
    • I think I got the gist of that. Just create it without anything in it except a template type and a category. Lady Aleena (talk) 06:52, October 27, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message