FANDOM

• I stumbled on a wiki that calls itself "official."  It's claiming to be official for a trademarked product, so I would think the claim is not accurate, unless they got permission from the company, which I would doubt.  I did a quick search, and found another wiki that does the same.  I want to nicely let the admins know they can't do that without reporting the problem to staff.  Anyone know of a link where it clearly says a wiki can't claim to be official?

Loading editor
    • This is the definition of "official" from law.com as it appears at http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1386 (I've bolded what I think is the appropriate section):

official

1) adj. referring to an act, document or anything sanctioned or authorized by a public official or public agency. The term can also apply to an organizational act or product which is authorized by the organization, such as an Official Boy Scout knife or emblem, an official warranty, membership card or set of rules. 2) n. a public officer or governmental employee who is empowered to exercise judgment. 3) n. an officer of a corporation or business.

Loading editor
    • If you use special contact to contact Staff, they will politely pass on your complaint to the two wikis' admins. They will not mention your name. You do not have to worry about any unpleasantness coming back to you. The admins will probably then quickly and quietly drop the word "official" from the descriptions of their wikis without any further action being taken against them.

Loading editor
    • We haven't been told what the wikis are, so for all we know, Staff will have to remove the word "official" anyway. Not everything is under user control. Some things can only be decided while a wiki is being made.

Loading editor
    • There are some official wikis, the result of a licensing agreement. Those usually have a special tag.

In the case of small, one person-made games or webcomics, it's also possible the creator created the wiki as a knowledge base. But without examples, there's no telling. If you want to do it anonymously, contact staff via Special:Contact/general.

Loading editor
    • I appreciate your suggestions.  I was actually hoping for a link that specifies Wikia's policy in the matter, but can give them the legal definition.  As I've worked as an editor, I'm perfectly comfortable letting them know myself without going through Wikia staff (unless, of course, that becomes necessary).

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      There are some official wikis, the result of a licensing agreement. Those usually have a special tag....

I didn't know there were officially-recognized wikis (with the exception of ones where the wiki editors created their own material; I suppose Uncyclopedia could be considered the "official" Uncyclopedia).  Could you give me links to some?

Loading editor
    • I thought Shadow of War used to have a special symbol, but apparently, not in the new navbar design.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the advice.  I've since found several more supposedly "official" wikis.  I think I will use Special contact/general for help.

Loading editor
    • Some wikis are actually official, there's just no way to exactly prove it at a first glance with the new nav bar design. There used to be a little symbol that went in the wiki's wordmark (iirc it was like "[ ] WIKIA"). Though I'm sure Wikia knows which of the wikis are the real official ones.

I specifically remember seeing the symbol on The Witcher wiki before the redesign, and here's a blog discussing the (then) new and official Shadow of Mordor wiki.

Loading editor
    • The ToU section Company Original Content and some other statements in the ToU are related to this issue, and maybe the authenticated user group is or was intended to sort it out.

Loading editor
    • I sent a message to Special:Contact/general, so will probably hear from them after the weekend.  I'm having a hard time putting together the concepts of an anyone-can-edit wiki with an officially-licensed product or service.  It could open up a big legal can of worms where the company has little or no control over what's put out publicly as official.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message