FANDOM

• I think that FANDOM Staff should implement a change that allows users to edit their own user page even if it is protected. The reason I suggest this is because user pages are protected in cases of heavy vandalism by other users. However, once a user page is protected, the person whom it belongs to isn't allowed to edit it unless they are an admin, and that is somewhat unfair.

It should also be noted that sometimes user pages are protected due to the owner themselves editing it in a disruptive way. In that case, they should be protected so that only staff can edit it. However, if the page is protected due to disruption by other users, I think it would be fair to allow the owner to edit the user page if it's protected and they have done nothing wrong.

What do you guys think about this change suggestion? I personally think it would be a good idea.

Loading editor
    • Well, the idea is that pages are open to edit and pre-emptive protection is not really ideal.

Well, for userpages, it really should be the owner to edit his/her own userpage and no one else. I could say it could be treated like a .js or .css where only the person and admins can edit it. That would require a software update. 

interesting idea though.

Loading editor
    • Seems like a good idea in theory but also in theory, the user should be the only one who edits their own userpage. I'm not sure that protection option would really be required as most users would probably appreciate it if only they edit their own userpage.

Loading editor
    • I am in favour of userpages being edited only by the user him/her self, admins, and staff.

Loading editor
    • This idea does sound good. However, we know how staff treats voting threads regarding updates.

Loading editor
    • Only the user? The user and admins, please. I will not have my WantedPages/Files polluted with red links and deleted images from user pages.

Loading editor
    • It's unusual to edit user pages of another user, but sometimes it's required, e.g., user pages ending up in non-user categories, similar issues as explained by Tupka217, or red user links needing a simple {{w::{{FULLPAGENAMEE}}}} to show a Community Central user page on another wiki, where bots/staff/VSTF contributed something. That's just maintenance not requiring admin help.

RedBomb1 talked about protected user pages, that's not the same issue. Somewhere in the code is a mechanism protecting personal CSS or JS, maybe this code could also guard protected user pages: User or admin only, nobody else.

Loading editor
    • I have had a similar opinion for a while. I think that only the user and those with elevated permission (ex. admins and staff) should be allowed to edit a user's profile (as well as its subpages). As MechQuest already said, treat it the same as the JS and CSS pages.

Loading editor
    • Really, just how much is a user page vandalized? I've rarely seen such things happen. And when they do, it's more of a reaction to being banned than anything else.

Besides, I've seen certain instances where user pages are signed by others users to regard them as friends or something. And finally, wouldn't this also apply to any user sub-pages (e.g. sandboxes)?

Loading editor
    • I’ve seen a few wikis where user pages have been vandalized....it happens here sometimes too.

Loading editor
    • Not as often as Wikipedia but it happens at times. Mine was vandalized (although deleted altogether).

As for things in userspace such as sandboxes, it is mostly irrelevant  since the userpage is the page that is viewewd, not a sandbox.

Loading editor
    • In my opinion very few user pages actually need permanent protection. For those non-admin pages that do, I could see this suggestion being a useful improvement. However, remember that site maintenance is not just done by admins, regular users can also revert vandalism, and do site maintenance, that may involve user pages. As long as they are respectful, and act in good faith, I don't see a reason to prohibit regular users (or even anons) from editing someone else's user page.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message