FANDOM

• November 28, 2017 Release

Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for November 28, 2017:

• NOTABLE: After this release, anonymous edits made before the release may show up as being performed by '0.0.0.0' on Special:RecentChanges. A database migration process will begin immediately after the release which will fix this data.
    • NOTABLE: The "Favorite wikis" section on user profiles is now based on the last 90 days of user activity, rather than all time account history. This change is already live.
    • BUGFIX: We recently fixed an issue that could prevent users from making new posts on Forums, when AbuseFilter is in use on that wiki. This fix is already live.
    • BUGFIX: We will fix an issue where blog comment links on Special:WikiActivity were pointing to the wrong location.
    • BUGFIX: We will fix an issue that was causing Special:WantedPages to be empty on wikis with Discussions enabled.
      Loading editor
    • DaNASCAT wrote:

• NOTABLE: After this release, anonymous edits made before the release may show up as being performed by '0.0.0.0' on Special:RecentChanges. A database migration process will begin immediately after the release which will fix this data.

Oh man. I much preferred how it was before. It would be nice if there was some way of going back to the original. But if not, then I'm going to miss how it was done before.

It would be nice if there was a better method of adjusting to this new way of listing favourite wikis.

I've already had to remove some wikis from my favourite wikis list, so that the ones that showed up before the change show up. Only I can't get them in the order they were in.

Loading editor
    • My best friend had a similar issue.

She told me, that she was very cofused when the four wikis shown in her "Favorite wikis"-section were suddenly out of order, because she uses the "Favorite wikis"-section to quickly navigate in-between the wikis, where she's an admin at.

As I only have like three wikis and nothing changed for me, I didn't have such issues, but still...

Loading editor
    • Also, is the issue with uploading avatars known? Most users uploading avatars recently seem to have broken avatars in profiles now, and fetching these avatars returns a 500 internal server error.

Loading editor
    • @KockaAdmiralac : yeah, the team were looking into that issue at the time of your post, and were in the process of rolling out a remedy. If you're still seeing issues, do let us know.

@C.Syde65 : I think you accidentally quoted the wrong section? The tweak to the favourite wikis section was partly made for performance reasons (querying 12+ years of data is pretty significant), but we also felt that making it more reactive to people's recent editing behaviour could be beneficial. Happy to take feedback on it, though!

Loading editor
    • I really like the change to the "My Favorite Wikis" feature. Very convenient and a user may not always particularly be that fond of a wiki just because they've contributed to it.

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

DaNASCAT wrote:

Oh man. I much preferred how it was before. It would be nice if there was some way of going back to the original. But if not, then I'm going to miss how it was done before.

It would be nice if there was a better method of adjusting to this new way of listing favourite wikis.

I've already had to remove some wikis from my favourite wikis list, so that the ones that showed up before the change show up. Only I can't get them in the order they were in.

Im not understanding what was before?

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote: @C.Syde65 : I think you accidentally quoted the wrong section? The tweak to the favourite wikis section was partly made for performance reasons (querying 12+ years of data is pretty significant), but we also felt that making it more reactive to people's recent editing behaviour could be beneficial. Happy to take feedback on it, though!

I can't speak for C.Syde65. However, as someone who frequently does technical edits on wikis that I have no interest in, I would prefer to see something like a set of check-boxes on my Special:UserActivity page. Then, I could use the check-boxes next to the wikis that I want to keep in my profile masthead, to control the display... instead of having it automatically controlled by a database. I do acknowledge that some people may be just as happy to keep the default settings, but I make too many edits on random wikis for that to be useful.

Loading editor
    • I'd like my favorites list to be consistently in the order it's always been with the same wikis. No changes. Perhaps our favorite wikis could be chosen manually instead of automatically.

Loading editor
    • I agree that the current strictly-ordered list is inconvenient — full manual control would be best

Loading editor
    • Please remove the unwanted videos on the top of our articles on RWBY Wiki! The entire community unilaterally requests for them to be gone!

Loading editor
    • Banarama wrote:
      I agree that the current strictly-ordered list is inconvenient — full manual control would be best
      I agree. I see no reason why users cannot simply search for Wikias they like to put in the Favorite Wikis module, otherwise it doesn’t actually represent a given user’s favorite Wikis, just whatever FANDOM’s algorithm deems is best via activity. I’m probably just going to hide my favorites altogether because it doesn’t represent me.
      A FANDOM user wrote:
      Please remove the unwanted videos on the top of our articles on RWBY Wiki! The entire community unilaterally requests for them to be gone!
      Hey, this is off-topic. You can best talk to Staff via Special:Contact/general to ask them about Featured Videos, but chances are good that they will not remove the videos because Featured Videos are not optional at all.
        Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:
      Banarama wrote:
      I agree that the current strictly-ordered list is inconvenient — full manual control would be best
      I agree. I see no reason why users cannot simply search for Wikias they like to put in the Favorite Wikis module, otherwise it doesn’t actually represent a given user’s favorite Wikis, just whatever FANDOM’s algorithm deems is best via activity. I’m probably just going to hide my favorites altogether because it doesn’t represent me.
      A FANDOM user wrote:
      Please remove the unwanted videos on the top of our articles on RWBY Wiki! The entire community unilaterally requests for them to be gone!
      Hey, this is off-topic. You can best talk to Staff via Special:Contact/general to ask them about Featured Videos, but chances are good that they will not remove the videos because Featured Videos are not optional at all.

This is really scummy of Wikia. How many communities have to leave before they stop doing this to us?!

Loading editor
    • Also on RWBY Wiki, it calls them Frequent Wikis instead. Much better name in my opinion.

Loading editor
    • I'm not a fan of the favourite wikis change but I am glad for the Abuse Filter fix.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, not fond of the how the Wiki favorites is now done either as I'm much more active on the Digimon wiki than the Monster Rancher one and I generally don't edit unless I strictly have to.

What's more like Vandraedha, I edit random wikis meaning that the algorythm's results not accurate in the slightest.

Loading editor
    • "Fav Wikis" should work like "Following Wikis" by letting the users add & modify the list themselves.

If Fandom would like to reflect the users' activity, implement a separate "User activities in Wikis" instead.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message