FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for November 29, 2017:

• BUGFIX: We will fix an issue where anonymous comments could display the IP of the person viewing the page, rather than the IP of the person who left the comment.
      Loading editor
    • Does this mean that anonymous users' names will now only be displayed as "A FANDOM User" and their IP will be hidden?

Loading editor
    • Ah, that is what's going on! When I opened the contributions page of an article comment yesterday, it was empty. Must have been my own IPs page then.

Loading editor
    • What's the problem with IP adresses of anonymous users? 

I was posting several comments today and yesterday on RWBY wiki. I don't know why, but all the fandom users there have got the same IP - and that caused a lot of misunderstandings and accusations of miltiposting. I just want to know whether it will be fixed later, or not. I mean, whether the correct IP adresses of anonymous users will be finally shown or not?

Loading editor
    • I thought that was just something with a script I have.

Loading editor
    • The issue was that the site wasn't passing along the IP of the commenter properly, so it was falling back to using the IP of the person viewing the page. Even when it just displayed 'A FANDOM user', it would still affect the contributions link that that text pointed to (which also meant it affected scripts that 'revealed' the IP). It should all be back to normal now though.

Loading editor
    • 92.112.34.103 wrote:

all the fandom users there have got the same IP - and that caused a lot of misunderstandings and accusations of miltiposting

That's actually hilarious, because all the anonymous users would have had the IP address of the reader. All the readers would have had to accuse themselves of multiposting.

Loading editor
    • Yeah - not a great situation, that :) Sorry for any confusion it caused!

Loading editor
    • In addition I almost gave away my IP replying to an anon :(

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message