FANDOM


  • Veralann
    Veralann closed this thread because:
    Discussion has run its course.
    16:38, January 18, 2018

    I am very against Discussions replacing Forums. The feel of Discussions never feels the same as the nice feel of Forums. Not only cannot users use WikiText in Discussions, it doesn't match the type of interface that Message Wall may have. And some wikis rely on Forum-based activity for their community development. Discussions is insanely different from Forums and I do not wish to be forced to change to the new features of Discussions. What is worse is that it doesn't have any specific nice categorization, so multiple different discussions coming at once is very difficult to organize. It's like trying to find the right messages from a huge stack of messages that come from one single Twitter account that deals with 100% all activity, on-topic or off-topic. Whereas Forums has a more friendly Reddit feel, where one can organize their different forums into different boards, which is far superior in how organized the messages will be in. Also, the feel of Discussions feels far too separate from the wiki itself, particularly when it comes to the lack of wiki background, which distorts familiarity and promotes the feel of segregated internet content.

      Loading editor
    • I could not have said it better myself. Forums are much more convenient and easier to use than the Discussions. I sure hope FANDOM looks into this and eventually revives Forums.

        Loading editor
    • I completely agree; you've said pretty much my exact thoughts.

        Loading editor
    • It's not like we have a choice here. So there's no point in complaining about it. Discussions will eventually replace Forum threads on all wikis. There isn't anything we can do to prevent that.

      Face it. Wikia isn't open to whether we like Discussions more than Forum threads or not. They aren't open to whether we like or dislike Discussions. They are only open to how we like Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • Completely disagree. But more importantly, I don't think this is the right way to go about this. There are already established threads that deal with this. Your voice would be better heard in those threads.

        Loading editor
    • I 100% agree, but change is inevitable.

        Loading editor
    • ChristopherLeeGallant wrote: Completely disagree. But more importantly, I don't think this is the right way to go about this. There are already established threads that deal with this. Your voice would be better heard in those threads.

      Who are you agreeing with?

        Loading editor
    • Discussions are actually pretty good to use. You just have to get used to them first. There is a script on the FANDOM open source library that allows a module to be installed on the right rail to allow users to see the discussions activity. And the Discussions are still in development and new features are constantly being released. I was told that they will be getting formatting of some type as well. And it is mobile friendly as well because I had some instances where I was browsing the Forums on my tablet and my tablet froze while browsing. Believe me: once you get used to them, they'll seem a lot better. To conclude, I'll say this: The Discussions will only be bad if you make them bad yourself.

      Mario fan forever (talk | contributions)

        Loading editor
    • >Not only cannot users use WikiText in Discussions

      Discussions are still fairly new and WikiText does not currently support it. FANDOM is working hard to implement updates to Discussions, and there is a major chance of it being implemented in a future update.

      >it doesn't match the type of interface that Message Wall may have.

      The design does not matter. Discussions are much more clean and free of bugs than Forums, more organized, and are easier to navigate through.

      >What is worse is that it doesn't have any specific nice categorization, so multiple different discussions coming at once is very difficult to organize.

      This is untrue. If you're referring to ESB, the Discussions have just been enabled. There are categories, similar to boards on Forums. The categories are much more modern and bug-free than boards, however.

      >Also, the feel of Discussions feels far too separate from the wiki itself, particularly when it comes to the lack of wiki background, which distorts familiarity and promotes the feel of segregated internet content.

      I fail to see how it feels "separate." It actually looks pretty similar to the wiki itself, especially when used on the mobile site or app. Sure, the background doesn't appear, but does that really matter? The only points you really brought up here were that their design is off, they're not organized, and that they don't have wikitext. The first one doesn't matter, the second one is incorrect, and the third one will most likely be updated in the future. And as Syde said, the change will happen, no matter what.

        Loading editor
    • Not to mention that replacing Forums with Discussions will hinder the ability to participate in game threads.

        Loading editor
    • Also if Discussions are physically unappealing to you, you can always create a CSS stylesheet and give it the same colour scheme as you would give the rest of the wiki. That's what I've done with my wiki's discussions. I got tired of discussions not blending in with the rest of the wiki, so I created a style sheet, so the colours would match. Of course, users would have to install the style sheet for themselves.

        Loading editor
    • RedBomb1 wrote: Not to mention that replacing Forums with Discussions will hinder the ability to participate in game threads.

      No it won't. There are ways around that. I've been using discussions for a while now, so I should know if there are ways around it.

        Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote: It's not like we have a choice here. So there's no point in complaining about it. Discussions will eventually replace Forum threads on all wikis. There isn't anything we can do to prevent that.

      Face it. Wikia isn't open to whether we like Discussions more than Forum threads or not. They aren't open to whether we like or dislike Discussions. They are only open to how we like Discussions.

      That's basically the mindset I've taken. I don't care for them and prefer the more established Forums, but theirs no use kicking and screaming over it. Best course of action right now is to get used to them and make out of them what we can.

        Loading editor
    • There is a lot of work and this is in thr eaely stages.

        Loading editor
    • Obviously, it's way too early for Forums to be replaced. For now, I suggest that Discussions should have more Forum-like organization. Forums is still far more superior than Discussions at the moment.

        Loading editor
    • Currently, there is no timelime so it will just take its time. I am still holding out for a MediaWiki upgrade past 1.19. Maybe it will happen when it goes to 2.0

        Loading editor
    • Wikia has a reason for it. When the forums were created, the developers created it in a way that makes it extremely difficult for Staff to fix any problems so they are starting from scratch.

        Loading editor
    • Also, Discussion won't stay the same forever. It is constantly updated with new features added and I expect most of the features on the Forum will be also in the Discussions in less than a year.

        Loading editor
    • I hope more features of Forum come soon to Discussion. I am hoping for the very best that those awesome Forum features appear in Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • Discussions is getting too early to replace Forums. So i don't know how i can do now.

      20th Century Fox ThingyHeartCatch Dwarakish Service - Majokko Tickle Collection 11:25, December 1, 2017 (UTC)

        Loading editor
    • I do remember a staff member said "they wanted to go from the start". Apparently, forums had certain bugs and mistakes. They could've fixed them, but instead, they went with a different approach. Nothing wrong with that, just as people said, it is quite lacking in things.

      Since Discussions are inevitable, the best next thing to do is to make most out of it. At least there are more people visiting the Discussions and talk about stuff.

        Loading editor
    • They should also add categories where users can tick on that work similarly to going to subforums.

        Loading editor
    • Discussions does have categories.

        Loading editor
    • It's not implemented in all wikis though, and it's not organized well at the moment. Also, the interface for categorizing different discussions is terrible.

        Loading editor
    • One thing for sure I desperately need is for WikiText to be available for use in Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • I don't see anything wrong with the Discussions interface, and Discussions categories are implemented on all wikis. Why exactly do you need wikitext on Discussions? Do you just need it for simple formatting such as bold, italic, etc?

        Loading editor
    • As has already been pointed out, the change is happening regardless.

      While there are workarounds for not being able to use MediaWiki markup, I think it is more of a convenience issue. Just imaging trying to provide the same level of help on Board:Support_Requests_-_Getting_Technical but without being able to have simple markup on the same page as your reply. There would be links all over the place.

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote: I don't see anything wrong with the Discussions interface, and Discussions categories are implemented on all wikis. Why exactly do you need wikitext on Discussions? Do you just need it for simple formatting such as bold, italic, etc?

      I can't speak for the OP, but people on the wikis I go to use more complicated Wikitext to make makeshift spoiler alerts, use templates for voting processes, use headers to organize their posts better, etc.

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote: I don't see anything wrong with the Discussions interface, and Discussions categories are implemented on all wikis. Why exactly do you need wikitext on Discussions? Do you just need it for simple formatting such as bold, italic, etc?

      I need at least things like Bold, Italics, Underlined, Strikethrough, and especially Hyperlinks. Those things are extremely missed in Discussions. Desperately need these things in Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • Really the only thing that annoys me about the switch is that Wikia is pushing it out on new wikis and trying to replace forums on others while it's not a full-on replacement for forums yet. There's things that only forums can do right now that make forced discussions a bit problematic (no highlights, lack of wikitext, etc)

      Not even CC has changed yet and I'm guessing it'll be the last to do so.

        Loading editor
    • So I suggest Discussions should make those changes in that one can use Bold, Italics, Underlined, Strikethrough, and especially Hyperlinks.

        Loading editor
    • Suggested before

        Loading editor
    • But I desperately require these features to be implemented

        Loading editor
    • @MZD Community Central needs its Forums for now - some categories include technical and design help which users ask for help in coding or other wiki text.

      @Qwerty Some features, like highlighting, are things FANDOM is working on. They've said because they don't have a solid timeline for Discussions for next year (this year they're still focused on Discussions migrating), one can assume new features aren't scheduled, but that doesn't mean that aren't thinking and working on it.

      Also, Encyclopedia Spongbobia technically still has Forums, so really you can stick to there for the time being if you dislike Discussions but you should know it's going to be replaced fully and eventually by Discussions (but by that point new features should have been added. Supporting wikitext is of course up for debate).

        Loading editor
    • Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote:

      KockaAdmiralac wrote: I don't see anything wrong with the Discussions interface, and Discussions categories are implemented on all wikis. Why exactly do you need wikitext on Discussions? Do you just need it for simple formatting such as bold, italic, etc?

      I need at least things like Bold, Italics, Underlined, Strikethrough, and especially Hyperlinks. Those things are extremely missed in Discussions. Desperately need these things in Discussions.

      Yeah, the things that Discussions are lacking in can be rather irritating at times, but I'm sure at least most of the disadvantages will be addressed sooner or later.

        Loading editor
    • I'm sure Staff will be able to implement a simple Markdown parser for Discussions to cover the lack of bold, italics, underline, etc. but implementing the whole MediaWiki parser into Discussions sounds like something that's less needed than easy to implement. Looking at the current Discussions users, most of them wouldn't be using complex things like templates in Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote: I'm sure Staff will be able to implement a simple Markdown parser for Discussions to cover the lack of bold, italics, underline, etc. but implementing the whole MediaWiki parser into Discussions sounds like something that's less needed than easy to implement. Looking at the current Discussions users, most of them wouldn't be using complex things like templates in Discussions.

      Well I have used templates for forum threads that would be considered rather complex, considering the amount of code to get the templates to function properly. If you look at the bottom message - http://csydes.wikia.com/d/p/2822921219211266634 - you'll see a template that you'd never find in a discussion post that wasn't migrated from a forum thread. Not yet anyway.

        Loading editor
    • For now, I agree, but by the least, it should be an option for now. Also, unfortunately, there is nothing to do, as Discussions will soon replace the Forums.

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote: Looking at the current Discussions users, most of them wouldn't be using complex things like templates in Discussions.

      Well, that seems like a bit of a skewed measure. If you need a feature from Forums and have Forums available, why would you use Discussions?

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      KockaAdmiralac wrote: Looking at the current Discussions users, most of them wouldn't be using complex things like templates in Discussions.

      Well, that seems like a bit of a skewed measure. If you need a feature from Forums and have Forums available, why would you use Discussions?

      Because Discussions will eventually replace Forums, so it makes no sense to not get used to Discussions before Discussions finally does replace Forums.

        Loading editor
    • I came along back in 2015, when Forums were still on wikis. Now, if you make a wiki, it had discussions. Only wikis made before the replacement point have forums. While I'm getting used to it, it's a bit of a mess. It's a lot less organized than forums, so for more active wikis, it's a bit harder to check out everything quickly.

        Loading editor
    • I pretty much agree, the new discussions is like posting 100 things on a Twitter account, but it is not yet a full replacement though.

        Loading editor
    • Well sometimes I find discussions useless, good thing the mariotube yoshichannel wiki still has the forum, which is better organized.

        Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

      Andrewds1021 wrote:

      KockaAdmiralac wrote: Looking at the current Discussions users, most of them wouldn't be using complex things like templates in Discussions.

      Well, that seems like a bit of a skewed measure. If you need a feature from Forums and have Forums available, why would you use Discussions?

      Because Discussions will eventually replace Forums, so it makes no sense to not get used to Discussions before Discussions finally does replace Forums.

      So, are you agreeing with me? My point is that drawing the conclusion that wiki markup in Discussions is not needed based on the fact that most wikis with Discussions have not complained assumes (I believe inaccurately) that, among wikis that have Discussions, those who used to use markup in Forums are represented in equal proportion to their representation in the overall number of pre-Discussions wikis.

        Loading editor
    • I just joined FANDOM recently and if i go to new wikis then there will be discussions. I think i should have been here sooner so that i could enjoy the forum longer.

        Loading editor
    • Well i have a wiki that still uses forums, so you can use that if you don't like the feel of the new discussions.

        Loading editor
    • Well face it, discussions will soon replace the forums, but for sure the discussion may get easier to organize since it is still under development. I clearly see how the discussions layout is not as great but simply it is more mobile friendly than the forum.

        Loading editor
    • Clearly at the moment Discussions isn't good enough, but later it should be just as good. But clearly it's way too early to replace Forums with Discussions because of way too little development.

        Loading editor
    • I agree with what you said but discussions is only added to wikis made after November 2016 or wikis which forums has not been active.

        Loading editor
    • GoldenTrident wrote: I agree with what you said but discussions is only added to wikis made after November 2016 or wikis which forums has not been active.

      You mean replacing Forums, that is.

        Loading editor
    • Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote: Clearly at the moment Discussions isn't good enough, but later it should be just as good. But clearly it's way too early to replace Forums with Discussions because of way too little development.

      It will probably be replaced in 2018 or later.

        Loading editor
    • Well on one of my wikis I still use the old forum, in which I have organized.

        Loading editor
    • RealLife21415 wrote:
      Well on one of my wikis I still use the old forum, in which I have organized.

      Yes, but eventually the staff will replace all forums with Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • I already know this but generally i joined FANDOM in March of 2016, the time they still had the forums, but i guess that this could change next year.

        Loading editor
    • To all you Discussions defenders... Discussions is clearly inferior until it replaces Forum on Community Central. All the excuses are just that, excuses. As long as Fandom wikis support wikitext for editing articles and more, Discussions will need to support that before it is worthy of being the sole group communication platform.

      I really want Discussions to get better, but the rate of improvement is unacceptably slow if they are going to force us to use it. It doesn't even support local wiki linking without using a whole URL! So lame.

        Loading editor
    • If Discussions is so great, Community Central should've been one of the first if not the first to replace their Forums with it so they can see first hand how significantly different it is from using Forums. Heck, it would expedite the necessary changes to make Discussions comparable to Forums if they did. But the fact remains that CC still retains their Forums while other wikis are forced to use Discussions when the feature is not good enough yet and I don't find that fair at all.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: To all you Discussions defenders... Discussions is clearly inferior until it replaces Forum on Community Central.

      ZeroTigress wrote: If Discussions is so great, Community Central should've been one of the first if not the first to replace their Forums with it so they can see first hand how significantly different it is from using Forums.

      I'd like to quickly mention that Community Central is very different from the average wiki. Most wikis use their Forums as a place to discuss about a show, game strategy or ask simple questions about the wiki's content. Community Central is a unique scenario with a much higher need for certain features, like code syntax highlighting, to deliver proper technical support and help.

        Loading editor
    • ZeroTigress wrote: If Discussions is so great, Community Central should've been one of the first if not the first to replace their Forums with it so they can see first hand how significantly different it is from using Forums. Heck, it would expedite the necessary changes to make Discussions comparable to Forums if they did. But the fact remains that CC still retains their Forums while other wikis are forced to use Discussions when the feature is not good enough yet and I don't find that fair at all.

      It may not seem fair to you, but you seem to be missing the point. Wikia is preventing newer wikis from choosing between threaded forums or discussions because it would mean more work for them when they migrate threaded forums into discussion posts.

      The reason a lot of the larger wikis that use threaded forums on a regular basis still have them is mainly because it would be more work for Staff if they were to migrate the forum threads on larger wikis, since they are usually ones that have the most forum threads to migrate. It's sorta like starting at Year 13 at school, when students are supposed to start at Year 1. Because they just aren't ready for school work at that level.

      All wikis that use threaded forums will have to switch to discussions sooner or later, unless they want to switch to wiki-style forums. And to be honest, I don't see the point of making the switch later when you can make the switch sooner to get it over and done with.

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote: I'd like to quickly mention that Community Central is very different from the average wiki. Most wikis use their Forums as a place to discuss about a show, game strategy or ask simple questions about the wiki's content. Community Central is a unique scenario with a much higher need for certain features, like code syntax highlighting, to deliver proper technical support and help.

      But if Discussions is meant to replace the Forums feature as a whole, why should CC be exempted while every other wiki must get converted? If they're still going to support Forums for themselves, then other wikis should have Forums as an option as well.

        Loading editor
    • ZeroTigress wrote:

      Noreplyz wrote: I'd like to quickly mention that Community Central is very different from the average wiki. Most wikis use their Forums as a place to discuss about a show, game strategy or ask simple questions about the wiki's content. Community Central is a unique scenario with a much higher need for certain features, like code syntax highlighting, to deliver proper technical support and help.

      But if Discussions is meant to replace the Forums feature as a whole, why should CC be exempted while every other wiki must get converted? If they're still going to support Forums for themselves, then other wikis should have Forums as an option as well.

      It's possibly because Discussions wouldn't really make sense in a place where people discuss about coding and technical help in general. Who knows if the Forums will remain in here, anyways.

        Loading editor
    • Noreplyz wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote:

      To all you Discussions defenders... Discussions is clearly inferior until it replaces Forum on Community Central.

      I'd like to quickly mention that Community Central is very different from the average wiki. Most wikis use their Forums as a place to discuss about a show, game strategy or ask simple questions about the wiki's content. Community Central is a unique scenario with a much higher need for certain features, like code syntax highlighting, to deliver proper technical support and help.

      Most wikis use forums for discussion, but since they are all wikis and most of them use some form of wikitext to format their pages, they all need to have a place to help with how to use wikitext. Until we get the "wiki" with no markup, we need forums to support markup rendering. We can't send everyone to CC to get their questions answered.

      Other wikis that can't really be tied only to Discussions: Dev wiki, Portability wiki, and Templates wiki

      CC isn't the only "special" one.

        Loading editor
    • ZeroTigress wrote:

      Noreplyz wrote: I'd like to quickly mention that Community Central is very different from the average wiki. Most wikis use their Forums as a place to discuss about a show, game strategy or ask simple questions about the wiki's content. Community Central is a unique scenario with a much higher need for certain features, like code syntax highlighting, to deliver proper technical support and help.

      But if Discussions is meant to replace the Forums feature as a whole, why should CC be exempted while every other wiki must get converted? If they're still going to support Forums for themselves, then other wikis should have Forums as an option as well.

      Did you even read my response to your previous message? Doesn't sound like you did, since you're still missing the point.

        Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

      Did you even read my response to your previous message? Doesn't sound like you did, since you're still missing the point.


      That doesn't negate the fact that Wikia insists on replacing Forums with Discussions as they've already confirmed they will eventually drop Forums support once they feel Discussions can take its place. Your point seems to emphasize that certain wikis will be allowed to keep Forums over Discussions indefinitely, which would be very discriminatory to wikis that want Forums but are forced to use Discussions instead.

        Loading editor
    • ZeroTigress wrote:

      C.Syde65 wrote:

      Did you even read my response to your previous message? Doesn't sound like you did, since you're still missing the point.


      That doesn't negate the fact that Wikia insists on replacing Forums with Discussions as they've already confirmed they will eventually drop Forums support once they feel Discussions can take its place. Your point seems to emphasize that certain wikis will be allowed to keep Forums over Discussions indefinitely, which would be very discriminatory to wikis that want Forums but are forced to use Discussions instead.

      Yeah, I understand your point. Sadly, it doesn't change anything according to Wikia's perspective, and since it's been more than a year since I settled into accepting there was nothing I could do, it doesn't really change anything according to my perspective either.

        Loading editor
    • ZeroTigress wrote: But if Discussions is meant to replace the Forums feature as a whole, why should CC be exempted while every other wiki must get converted? If they're still going to support Forums for themselves, then other wikis should have Forums as an option as well.

      CC isn't exempted - it might just end up being the last one to migrate out of Forums. Forums itself will definitely be going away in the future - no wikis will be expected to keep Forums and will have to either go to Discussions or back to wiki-style forums.

      Fandyllic wrote: Most wikis use forums for discussion, but since they are all wikis and most of them use some form of wikitext to format their pages, they all need to have a place to help with how to use wikitext.

      Yeah, I agree with you, but I just think that it's a lot more scarce than wikis like CC. This whole thread, for example, can easily live in Discussions. The template that I am reminded of most that is used in Forums is "Support" and "Oppose" templates, which just add an image and a bit of colour, which isn't really necessary. I would have to take a guess that nearly all Forums posts are not using Lua or anything dynamic in their posts.

        Loading editor
    • Sadly, that's what Wikia do. They will force their supposedly "better" new ideas to replace old "superseded" ones. Venus was a recent example of a backlash that caused Wikia to cancel, but that is very rare.

        Loading editor
    • 51.7.131.55 address wrote: Sadly, that's what Wikia do. They will force their supposedly "better" new ideas to replace old "superseded" ones. Venus was a recent example of a backlash that caused Wikia to cancel, but that is very rare.

      First off, what was Venus? I haven't heard of that one? Second, that is pretty much correct, since usually Wikia force things down our throats, and rarely realize we're waiting to stuff it up there's when we get a chance. A few months back they had that video thing, with some wikis threatening leaving, until Wikia finally had a compromise they somehow haven't broken.

        Loading editor
    • Venus was a new skin that wikia had been planning to release. It was supposed to replace Oasis as the default.

        Loading editor
    • Venus was a skin that could have been the successor to Oasis in 2015. There's not much left of it now, this blog is an example of a standard blog at the time when many users thought Wikia would force Venus on us.

        Loading editor
    • Isn't Venus the skin where there is the Lucy editor and all of that? If so, than Oasis > Venus.

      Now lemme guess, its successor will be called "Earth", right?

        Loading editor
    • Discussions is terrible

        Loading editor
    • 2600:8805:506:C200:5492:EA81:932A:7F4F wrote: Discussions is terrible

      Especially at the moment. And at this stage, I am never going to enjoy it unless they change it enough so that it feels just like Forums.

        Loading editor
    • You would have to login to use discussions, unlike the forums.

        Loading editor
    • FANDOM has converted my wiki's forum to discussions and I hate it. You can't even change the icon of the discussions if you are on mobile. And I'm a mobile user and Request desktop site doesn't work.

      One last thing to say,

      I DO NOT LIKE DISCUSSIONS
      
        Loading editor
    • Also IP user rayd!!!

        Loading editor
    • Could you log in or at least tell us of your "home wiki"?

        Loading editor
    • Discussions, like everything Wikia does, is ruining my experience on here. They're ugly and the layout is awful, just like VisualEditor, the new favorite wikis system, and literally everything Wikia does.

        Loading editor
    • Well, this could be solved, iffff lets say, a millionaire donated $10 million to Wikia.... Thennnn they would be incentivized to upgrade it.

        Loading editor
    • MechQueste wrote:
      Well, this could be solved, iffff lets say, a millionaire donated $10 million to Wikia.... Thennnn they would be incentivized to upgrade it.

      or if Wikia knew how to do anything right

        Loading editor
    • The main problem with Discussions is that it was designed to meet mainly Fandom company needs and then only weakly considering needs of users. Until it gets closer to feature parity with Forum, only those who are mostly mobile-only will like Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • Wiki-text, Highlighting threads, Quoting threads, and edits to discussion posts histories are the main things that I would like for Discussions to get. I've heard that the first one, or something similar, will be added in the future. Not sure about the last two though.

        Loading editor
    • I expect Wiki-text support to be the last thing supported, if ever. Also, the pace of Discussions improvement is positively glacial... and not the retreating, Global Warming type of glacial.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: I expect Wiki-text support to be the last thing supported, if ever. Also, the pace of Discussions improvement is positively glacial... and not the retreating, Global Warming type of glacial.

      Melting? As in worsening?

        Loading editor
    • Hmmm... Not sure what I just said there...

        Loading editor
    • glacial:

      Adjective
      2. (figuratively) very slow
        Loading editor
    • I prefer the Forums.

        Loading editor
    • CreationBeTheWorld23 wrote: I prefer the Forums.

      So do I; they are far superior at the moment.

        Loading editor
    • Discussions are oriented for mobile viewers. Forums is more for computer viewers.

        Loading editor
    • MechQueste wrote: Discussions are oriented for mobile viewers. Forums is more for computer viewers.

      Except mobile oriented viewers still want highlighted posts, link markup, and quoting, but they don't get to do that.

        Loading editor
    • The fact that such things even happen makes me question what in the world the wikia management are thinking. Let's face facts, "Discussions replacing Forums" is the main cause of the current uproars happening and those who are trying to sugarcoat it by praising how good it is aren't even fully aware as to what the consequences are:

      • Forums have been there for a long while and wikians of their own communities have built their infrastructures around the use of Forums for their communities to flourish. This forced replacement will effectively destroy everyone's work and essentially creates the situation where you tell everyone to "suck it up". This wouldn't be a problem if it were not the fact that the smaller wikia communities aren't even given the choice of retaining the forums to begin with. Not leaving any backward compatibility behind for people to slowly migrate over to a new environment with their work intact pisses me off to no end as an IT specialist.
      • Discussions do not support "WikiText" among others. While others are trying to sugarcoat this by saying that they are working hard to implement updates, do you realize how people would feel if they are forced into a house where both the roof and the furnitures are missing? This is wishful thinking and it is basically another way to tell people to "suck it up" and hope life improves in the future.

      With the issues pointed out, let's dive into the core issues:

      • The new system is inferior to the older system. No doubt that in order to promote mobile-friendliness, they have created this new system to replace the older system as I suspect that the older system lacks something which effectively prevents them from pursuing their goals. However, in order to successfully replace an older system, the new system has to be equal or greater than the older system. And most important, it needs backward compatibility in order to deprecate the legacy software in the future.
      • In order to pursue the image of mobile-friendliness, you accepted the fact that it is acceptable to sacrifice the computer users in order to pursue your goals. Mobile/tablet users definitely have become popular, but have you already forgotten that the computer users also form a majority?

      Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike changes. But the way it is presented to me now makes me want to burn it to the ground for giving me such a sloppy work on top of not providing all the proper facts as to why it should be better than Forums. This complaint will most likely fall on deaf ears, since I've a good grasp now as to how the wikia's staff operates, but realize that actions like this would only just end up damaging your own revenue. There is always a good reason for when complaints like these appear. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

        Loading editor
    • Tsubakura wrote:

      • Forums have been there for a long while and wikians of their own communities have built their infrastructures around the use of Forums for their communities to flourish. This forced replacement will effectively destroy everyone's work and essentially creates the situation where you tell everyone to "suck it up". This wouldn't be a problem if it were not the fact that the smaller wikia communities aren't even given the choice of retaining the forums to begin with. Not leaving any backward compatibility behind for people to slowly migrate over to a new environment with their work intact pisses me off to no end as an IT specialist.
      • Discussions do not support "WikiText" among others. While others are trying to sugarcoat this by saying that they are working hard to implement updates, do you realize how people would feel if they are forced into a house where both the roof and the furnitures are missing? This is wishful thinking and it is basically another way to tell people to "suck it up" and hope life improves in the future.

      These are the parts that worries me the most. I'm an admin on a Wikia that's primarily based around our forums and I'm worried what's going to happen to it once the discussions hit. I've been apart of the community for over 2 years now, I don't want to see it die off or collapse because of Fandom management.

        Loading editor
    • We should have a setting in our preferences in whether we use discussions or forums. Therefore, less people would be complaining.

        Loading editor
    • How would that be any different from Wikia just allowing both (which they don't want to do in the long run)? It isn't like they force users to use Discusssions, they only force users to not use Forums. Plus, that could start getting really confusing because then communities might have too many discussion mechanisms (forums, discussions, chat, article comments, talk pages, wiki-style forums).

        Loading editor
    • While I agree in general with what you’re saying, the issue of multiple discussion mechanisms doesn’t necessarily hurt a Wikia, especially if they have a decent Admin team. For example, my home Wikia had all of those features enabled & regularly used simultaneously except for Wiki-style Forum, but including blogs, yet we only ended up needing to disable Article Conments; we were perfectly fine with many social features.

        Loading editor
    • Fair enough. And I do recognize that they all serve slightly different purposes. However, in my opinion, Discussions and Forums are just too similar for it to make sense to keep both.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

      However, in my opinion, Discussions and Forums are just too similar for it to make sense to keep both.

      What? Too similar? You mean except for all the differences? In my opinion, Discussions is only superior in its mobile friendliness. It is worse in almost all other aspects. As an admin of many wikis, Discussions is kind of awful. I also have no problem tracking both Forum and Discussions threads. The one good thing Fandom did was segregate them notification-wise which actually makes it easy to keep track of them separately.

        Loading editor
    • Would it be better if there was some hybrid system for both? Forums obviously was computer oriented and discussions is mobile friendly.

        Loading editor
    • It would be better if they just got the admin friendly features put into Discussions like highlighting, searching, stickying, and hopefully a Special page with the activity feed.

      The real problem is Fandom gives us no clear roadmap for anything.

        Loading editor
    • ^ There is an activity feed for Discussions in the FANDOM Open Source Library. It's called DiscussionsFeed.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      Andrewds1021 wrote:

      However, in my opinion, Discussions and Forums are just too similar for it to make sense to keep both.

      What? Too similar? You mean except for all the differences? In my opinion, Discussions is only superior in its mobile friendliness. It is worse in almost all other aspects. As an admin of many wikis, Discussions is kind of awful. I also have no problem tracking both Forum and Discussions threads. The one good thing Fandom did was segregate them notification-wise which actually makes it easy to keep track of them separately.

      I meant too similar in purpose. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:
      ^ There is an activity feed for Discussions in the FANDOM Open Source Library. It's called DiscussionsFeed.

      Would be nice, if it was integrated into the software instead of relying on scripts.

        Loading editor
    • MechQueste wrote:

      JustLeafy wrote:
      ^ There is an activity feed for Discussions in the FANDOM Open Source Library. It's called DiscussionsFeed.

      Would be nice, if it was integrated into the software instead of relying on scripts.

      Agreed. The best think you can do right now is adding a discussions tag with mostrecent="true" to embed the latest discussions feed. You can also put size="6" to see the maximized recent discussions feed.

      Combine the code to get <discussions mostrecent="true" size="6" />, which gives an embedded discussions feed that represents the 6 latest discussions.

        Loading editor
    • We better hope that discussions gets better because it will be a good while before anybody on the ATBW wiki can use it.

        Loading editor
    • No love for AbuseFilter

      BertH wrote:

      Can we use spam and abuse filters in Discussions?

      The AbuseFilter extension is deeply bound to the MediaWiki edit functions and so won’t be adapted to work with Discussions contribution. However, we are currently exploring multiple options for spam/content filtering for Discussions and look forward to sharing more about this in the future.
      Looking forward to more unnecessary burden with Discussions. Out goes Forum along with spam filtering and in comes spams that needs to be removed by hand.
        Loading editor
    • Global spam filters still work in Discussions as far as I'm aware, though.

        Loading editor
    • I'm fine with them, as long as there is a highlight feature like with the Forums. Also, I KINDA need them to support source mode plz?

        Loading editor
    • FenTheMudwing wrote:

      I'm fine with them, as long as there is a highlight feature like with the Forums.

      Discussions doesn't support highlight yet, but you're still okay with it? How long are you willing to wait?

      FenTheMudwing wrote:

      Also, I KINDA need them to support source mode plz?

      Tell them at Special:Contact/feedback. Saying it here means nothing. Also, current indicators are not good.

        Loading editor
    • Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote:

      CreationBeTheWorld23 wrote: I prefer the Forums.

      So do I; they are far superior at the moment.

      JFTR, the mw:Help:Structured Discussions formerly known as mw:Help:Flow aren't too shabby, or rather, seriously better than traditional talk pages. IMNSHO, of course lots of folks hate any change, and prefer the ridiculous indentation with colons. The FANDOM discussions are an abomination, or maybe an experiment how to create something worse than traditional talk pages.

        Loading editor
    • Dunnoob wrote:

      JFTR, the mw:Help:Structured Discussions formerly known as mw:Help:Flow aren't too shabby, or rather, seriously better than traditional talk pages. IMNSHO, of course lots of folks hate any change, and prefer the ridiculous indentation with colons. The FANDOM discussions are an abomination, or maybe an experiment how to create something worse than traditional talk pages.

      Do Structured Discussions work well on mobile? If not, then Fandom probably isn't interested. Discussions is somewhat of a mobile-first feature and that's why it is kind of awful on desktop.

        Loading editor
    • Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote:
      I am very against Discussions replacing Forums. The feel of Discussions never feels the same as the nice feel of Forums. Not only cannot users use WikiText in Discussions, it doesn't match the type of interface that Message Wall may have. And some wikis rely on Forum-based activity for their community development. Discussions is insanely different from Forums and I do not wish to be forced to change to the new features of Discussions. What is worse is that it doesn't have any specific nice categorization, so multiple different discussions coming at once is very difficult to organize. It's like trying to find the right messages from a huge stack of messages that come from one single Twitter account that deals with 100% all activity, on-topic or off-topic. Whereas Forums has a more friendly Reddit feel, where one can organize their different forums into different boards, which is far superior in how organized the messages will be in. Also, the feel of Discussions feels far too separate from the wiki itself, particularly when it comes to the lack of wiki background, which distorts familiarity and promotes the feel of segregated internet content.

      Discussions will replace fourms? That's a new feature and will be added when new wikis are created. That is different from fourms.

        Loading editor
    • Wikia/Fandom/whatever they're currently calling themselves should combine the 2 MediaWiki forum extensions they have into one thing with all of the good parts of Forums and Discussions and none of the bad parts.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah and now it will be not the same as this.

        Loading editor
    • KATMAKROFAN wrote: Wikia/Fandom/whatever they're currently calling themselves should combine the 2 MediaWiki forum extensions they have into one thing with all of the good parts of Forums and Discussions and none of the bad parts.

      I agree. While Discussions presents a modern UI, the Forum has a better structure and better tools. To me, when we combine the Forum and Discussions, I'd suggest it should to be the Forum itself but with the Discussions UI. It should also support the same theme as the rest of the wiki does, and maybe even CSS can be supported.

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

      KATMAKROFAN wrote: Wikia/Fandom/whatever they're currently calling themselves should combine the 2 MediaWiki forum extensions they have into one thing with all of the good parts of Forums and Discussions and none of the bad parts.

      I agree. While Discussions presents a modern UI, the Forum has a better structure and better tools. To me, when we combine the Forum and Discussions, I'd suggest it should to be the Forum itself but with the Discussions UI. It should also support the same theme as the rest of the wiki does, and maybe even CSS can be supported.

      Seems like a good idea.

        Loading editor
    • Wow, reading this thread makes me so glad our wikia was created before Discussions. It's for a PC game, so mobile-friendliness is hardly even a selling point for us, certainly not enough to outweigh things like not supporting wikitext.

        Loading editor
    • Fluid-decanter wrote: Wow, reading this thread makes me so glad our wikia was created before Discussions. It's for a PC game, so mobile-friendliness is hardly even a selling point for us, certainly not enough to outweigh things like not supporting wikitext.

      And what's your wiki?

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:
      KATMAKROFAN wrote:
      Wikia/Fandom/whatever they're currently calling themselves should combine the 2 MediaWiki forum extensions they have into one thing with all of the good parts of Forums and Discussions and none of the bad parts.
      I agree. While Discussions presents a modern UI, the Forum has a better structure and better tools. To me, when we combine the Forum and Discussions, I'd suggest it should to be the Forum itself but with the Discussions UI. It should also support the same theme as the rest of the wiki does, and maybe even CSS can be supported.
      Using the category preferences, you can effectively make Discussions structured if you want. I feel it is not without merit in its current layout, seeing as you can effectively have either form you desire as opposed to only one. My main issue is the dearth of features & wikitext.
      Fluid-decanter wrote:
      Wow, reading this thread makes me so glad our wikia was created before Discussions. It's for a PC game, so mobile-friendliness is hardly even a selling point for us, certainly not enough to outweigh things like not supporting wikitext.
      My Home Wiki also covers browser games, & you’d be surprised at how many mobile views we get. It’s not a majority to be sure, but I would advise you to ask FANDOM Staff for access to Quantcast data about your Wiki; you may be surprised just how many mobile viewers your Wiki receives, even for a browser game (that browser game got a mobile app? ;)). My Wiki always tries its best to look good across all skins, although unfortunately Monobook has fallen a bit by the wayside.
        Loading editor
    • Discussions is not a MediaWiki forum extension.

        Loading editor
    • Give me more details about this.

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • OMG that helps!

        Loading editor
    • Discussions is indeed not a MediaWiki forum extension, though there are some features that I would like to see it have.

      The ability to quote other user's messages when replying to them. The ability to use wiki-text, or something of the equivalent. The ability to highlight posts.

      The ability to support CSS, or something of the equivalent, even theme designer could cover that a bit better. And the ability for regular users to remove their own posts.

        Loading editor
    • Send your suggested features to Special:Contact/feedback. Fandom staff doesn't care what we put here. I just keep coming back to this thread to make sure people don't have the wrong idea about what Discussions is and what it isn't. It is not a good replacement for Forum, but it is a good minimum for mobile conversation. However, it is definitely still currently a minimum feature set.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Send your suggested features to Special:Contact/feedback. Fandom staff doesn't care what we put here. I just keep coming back to this thread to make sure people don't have the wrong idea about what Discussions is and what it isn't. It is not a good replacement for Forum, but it is a good minimum for mobile conversation. However, it is definitely still currently a minimum feature set.

      Yes that is true and real.

        Loading editor
    • Thus we need more features.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Send your suggested features to Special:Contact/feedback. Fandom staff doesn't care what we put here. I just keep coming back to this thread to make sure people don't have the wrong idea about what Discussions is and what it isn't. It is not a good replacement for Forum, but it is a good minimum for mobile conversation. However, it is definitely still currently a minimum feature set.

      FANDOM isn’t gonna care about things like replacing Forums, they’re already converting some Wikis to Discussions so I hardly see a reason for them to drop everything and support Forum on newer Wikis. The only thing to do suck it up and deal with it. Forums is gone.

        Loading editor
    • If they lose money from losing users, then it's their issue.

        Loading editor
    • Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote: If they lose money from losing users, then it's their issue.

      Yeah. Personally i hate Discussions but I’m fine without it, though a lot hate it.

        Loading editor
    • Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote:
      If they lose money from losing users, then it's their issue.

      Could it be true or false?

        Loading editor
    • PictureField55 wrote:

      Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote:
      If they lose money from losing users, then it's their issue.

      Could it be true or false?

      That’s not really a question that can’t be answered.


      I’d say it wouldn’t happen, since Wikia has at least 1 Million active contributors.

        Loading editor
    • Fandom Staff need to reply here.

        Loading editor
    • Alright then

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Send your suggested features to Special:Contact/feedback. Fandom staff doesn't care what we put here. I just keep coming back to this thread to make sure people don't have the wrong idea about what Discussions is and what it isn't. It is not a good replacement for Forum, but it is a good minimum for mobile conversation. However, it is definitely still currently a minimum feature set.

      That's still an opinion, not a fact.

      While I do feel that both features have their own advantages and disadvantages.

        Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

      That's still an opinion, not a fact.

      Until the missing features listed in Help:Discussions FAQ gets to be very few, it is a strongly supported opinion. This thread also represents support for the weakness of Discussions vs Forum. The pace of Discussions improvement is extremely slow. It took many months just to make it so you could access the rest of the wiki more easily (wiki header/navigation shows up in Discussions). The first version of Discussions, you could only navigate back to the wiki from the top level of Discussions or clicking on a username.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      C.Syde65 wrote:

      That's still an opinion, not a fact.

      Until the missing features listed in Help:Discussions FAQ gets to be very few, it is a strongly supported opinion. This thread also represents support for the weakness of Discussions vs Forum. The pace of Discussions improvement is extremely slow. It took many months just to make it so you could access the rest of the wiki more easily (wiki header/navigation shows up in Discussions). The first version of Discussions, you could only navigate back to the wiki from the top level of Discussions or clicking on a username.

      Well it kind of complicates what some of us are trying to do, which is help users to get used to the idea of using Discussions rather than threaded forums. Since there's nothing we can do about it, it seems completely pointless to dwell on it.

      There are some ways to help users to get used to Discussions, such as Stylish which adds CSS. And even without highlights, there are ways around that, and quotes and wiki-text, well we'll just have to see if Staff had features that serve as the equivalent of those.

        Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:

      Well it kind of complicates what some of us are trying to do, which is help users to get used to the idea of using Discussions rather than threaded forums. Since there's nothing we can do about it, it seems completely pointless to dwell on it.

      By that standard we should just try to get users used to any stupid thing Fandom puts out. What you're doing sounds more like shilling than helping users. Especially, if you think there is "nothing we can do about it".

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      C.Syde65 wrote:

      Well it kind of complicates what some of us are trying to do, which is help users to get used to the idea of using Discussions rather than threaded forums. Since there's nothing we can do about it, it seems completely pointless to dwell on it.

      By that standard we should just try to get users used to any stupid thing Fandom puts out. What you're doing sounds more like shilling than helping users. Especially, if you think there is "nothing we can do about it".

      Well what can we do about it? is the question. Because I'm seeing very little that we can do about it. It's already obvious that there's nothing we can do to prevent the migration from threaded forums to Discussions. And I have no interest in trying to prevent something which can't be prevented. By now I have already gotten used to the idea that we're going to need to wait until more updates are made to Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      C.Syde65 wrote:

      Well it kind of complicates what some of us are trying to do, which is help users to get used to the idea of using Discussions rather than threaded forums. Since there's nothing we can do about it, it seems completely pointless to dwell on it.

      By that standard we should just try to get users used to any stupid thing Fandom puts out. What you're doing sounds more like shilling than helping users. Especially, if you think there is "nothing we can do about it".

      Well technically there isn’t much, or even anything we can do. Whining and complaining about it won’t do anything, especially switch back to Forums.

        Loading editor
    • Shilling would imply disingenuous praise. I don't think much of anyone really likes discussions over forums (I certainty don't), but getting upset over the inevitable is a waste of time and draining experience. My biggest worry is how this will effect forum-based wikis. I know the CSAP wiki uses message wall posts on dummy accounts as their method of forum discussion nowadays, for example.

        Loading editor
    • So, if most of the praise isn't disingenuous then what praise does Discussions deserve? From using it on many wikis both by itself and along side Forum, it only deserves praise for being a decent experience on mobile. However, it is inferior to Forum in almost every other way.

      Please, praise away... I want to hear what I'm missing.

        Loading editor
    • I agree, but like i said for like, the 3d time already, whining and complaining isn’t going to help.

      Yet you repeatedly state how inferior Discussions is compared to Forumes, even though FANDOM will not listen.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      So, if most of the praise isn't disingenuous then what praise does Discussions deserve? From using it on many wikis both by itself and along side Forum, it only deserves praise for being a decent experience on mobile. However, it is inferior to Forum in almost every other way.

      Please, praise away... I want to hear what I'm missing.

      Well it is on many wikis and got repleaced with.

        Loading editor
    • PictureField55 wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote:
      So, if most of the praise isn't disingenuous then what praise does Discussions deserve? From using it on many wikis both by itself and along side Forum, it only deserves praise for being a decent experience on mobile. However, it is inferior to Forum in almost every other way.

      Please, praise away... I want to hear what I'm missing.

      Well it is on many wikis and got repleaced with.

      How is that praise

        Loading editor
    • 33Nepeta wrote:

      PictureField55 wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote:
      So, if most of the praise isn't disingenuous then what praise does Discussions deserve? From using it on many wikis both by itself and along side Forum, it only deserves praise for being a decent experience on mobile. However, it is inferior to Forum in almost every other way.

      Please, praise away... I want to hear what I'm missing.

      Well it is on many wikis and got repleaced with.
      How is that praise

      It depends.

        Loading editor
    • No, it does not.

      Praise is complimenting. Saying Wikis have Discussions instead of Forums isn’t praise, it’s just a statement.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      So, if most of the praise isn't disingenuous then what praise does Discussions deserve? From using it on many wikis both by itself and along side Forum, it only deserves praise for being a decent experience on mobile. However, it is inferior to Forum in almost every other way.

      Please, praise away... I want to hear what I'm missing.

      One issue with Forums is how they tend to lag after getting a certain amount of replies and have a 500 comment limit. Discussions have no comment limit and do not lag after several hundred replies are posted. Discussions, in my opinion, are also more organized than Forums and do not get cluttered as much. Another bonus is how Discussion posts are counted separately from wiki edits, so users do not get hundreds or thousands of edits from replying to Discussions. Replies and posts also do not fill up Special:WikiActivity, which is also a bonus in my opinion, as you can then see actual edits being made using that feature.

        Loading editor
    • What if some people consider participating in forums as part of their contributions to the wiki?

        Loading editor
    • ZeroTigress wrote: What if some people consider participating in forums as part of their contributions to the wiki?

      Well then they won’t be able to contribute anymore. Forums is retiring.

        Loading editor
    • 33Nepeta wrote:

      ZeroTigress wrote: What if some people consider participating in forums as part of their contributions to the wiki?

      Well then they won’t be able to contribute anymore. Forums is retiring.

      Participating in Discussions is still contributing to the wiki.

        Loading editor
    • TheKorraFanatic wrote:

      33Nepeta wrote:

      ZeroTigress wrote: What if some people consider participating in forums as part of their contributions to the wiki?

      Well then they won’t be able to contribute anymore. Forums is retiring.

      Participating in Discussions is still contributing to the wiki.

      I was talking about forums.

        Loading editor
    • 51.7.131.55 address wrote: Sadly, that's what Wikia do. They will force their supposedly "better" new ideas to replace old "superseded" ones. Venus was a recent example of a backlash that caused Wikia to cancel, but that is very rare.

      I believe Venus was the mobile skin that was on Wikia around 2015, that I didn't like because it kept signing me out, and that weird uppercase title on each page, and the fact that it messed up my Safari browser on iPhone 4s on iOS 7.

        Loading editor
    • TheKorraFanatic wrote:

      One issue with Forums is how they tend to lag after getting a certain amount of replies and have a 500 comment limit. Discussions have no comment limit and do not lag after several hundred replies are posted.

      I've never seen this problem on Forum, but I suppose it is a minor advantage. When a thread gets that big, it usually means the thread got out of control and is not being moderated.

      TheKorraFanatic wrote:

      Discussions, in my opinion, are also more organized than Forums and do not get cluttered as much.

      I disagree with this. Discussion categories can be much more confusing, because multiple categories can be on a post.

      TheKorraFanatic wrote:

      Another bonus is how Discussion posts are counted separately from wiki edits, so users do not get hundreds or thousands of edits from replying to Discussions.

      This is a side effect of not being integrated into MediaWiki and is actually a pain for admins and patrollers who like to patrol edits all in one place. You can't patrol edits on Discussions.

      TheKorraFanatic wrote:

      Replies and posts also do not fill up Special:WikiActivity, which is also a bonus in my opinion, as you can then see actual edits being made using that feature.

      No admin who has any experience cares about Special:WikiActivity. I almost never look at it.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      I've never seen this problem on Forum, but I suppose it is a minor advantage. When a thread gets that big, it usually means the thread got out of control and is not being moderated.

      No admin who has any experience cares about Special:WikiActivity. I almost never look at it.

      I'm afraid that's untrue. I'm an experienced admin, and I still care about Special:WikiActivity, though I do care about Special:RecentChanges as much. I just find WikiActivity easier to navigate to.

      Also what you said about the forums getting out of control and not being moderated is not always true either, because some communities like to use forums to play simple games, like counting to a number before a user in a specific user-group posts.

      Those sorts of games built up in posts quite quickly, so naturally, if it doesn't dry up, it will reach 500 posts sooner or later. Doesn't mean it's not attended.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      TheKorraFanatic wrote:

      Replies and posts also do not fill up Special:WikiActivity, which is also a bonus in my opinion, as you can then see actual edits being made using that feature.

      No admin who has any experience cares about Special:WikiActivity. I almost never look at it.

      I do use Special:WikiActivity a lot, and I'm an admin of multiple wikis.

        Loading editor
    • Me too at forums.

        Loading editor
    • I used to use Special:WikiActivity for months before discovering Special:RecentChanges. Usually when I'm patrolling edits to the article, project, category, user, forum, and thread namespaces, I use Special:WikiActivity to check them. Generally I only use Special:RecentChanges for patrolling things that don't show up on Special:WikiActivity.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

      TheKorraFanatic wrote: Discussions, in my opinion, are also more organized than Forums and do not get cluttered as much.

      I disagree with this. Discussion categories can be much more confusing, because multiple categories can be on a post.

      Discussions posts can only be included in one category though. So, multiple categories cannot be on a post.

        Loading editor
    • TheKorraFanatic wrote:

      Fandyllic wrote:


      TheKorraFanatic wrote: Discussions, in my opinion, are also more organized than Forums and do not get cluttered as much.

      I disagree with this. Discussion categories can be much more confusing, because multiple categories can be on a post.
      Discussions posts can only be included in one category though. So, multiple categories cannot be on a post.

      Yeah thats right! Though I'm the great guy.

        Loading editor
    • Regardless of who uses Special:WikiActivity or not, having Discussions activity not show up in any way there (or RecenChanges) does not seem like a definitive advantage.

      As for Discussions categories, you can always make something less confusing by not using the confusing part of the feature, but that's just a workaround.

        Loading editor
    • While I think it's an advantage that Discussions activity does not show up in Special:WikiActity, I do agree with you that it's a disadvantage that it doesn't show up in RecentChanges. However, you can use this script to view a RecentChanges like overview of Discussions posts.

        Loading editor
    • PictureField55 wrote: Yeah thats right! Though I'm the great guy.

      Dude no offense but your really annoying, you're just saying "yeah!" To everything someome says, then adding a side note.

        Loading editor
    • 33Nepeta wrote:

      PictureField55 wrote: Yeah thats right! Though I'm the great guy.

      Dude no offense but your really annoying, you're just saying "yeah!" To everything someome says, then adding a side note.

      Alright

        Loading editor
    • ....

        Loading editor
    • Just right, not needed to worry about this one.

        Loading editor
    • Then stop replying.

      And youre still doing it.

        Loading editor
    • Hey guys, please remain civil to eachother at all times.

      PictureField55, if you do not have anything beneficial to contribute to the discussion, please refrain. ^^ Thank you

        Loading editor
    • So, I haven't looked at this for a while (get the notifications, but I just mark them as read because I have better things to look at), but how long does it take to make a point? This thing's been going on for a month and a half.

        Loading editor
    • JamesTheNerdKing wrote: So, I haven't looked at this for a while (get the notifications, but I just mark them as read because I have better things to look at), but how long does it take to make a point? This thing's been going on for a month and a half.

      Idk.

      Honestly, we’re just arguing if Discussions is good or not at this point.

        Loading editor
    • If it's been that long and we are still arguing, than it is a good discussion.

        Loading editor
    • How?

      A good portion of it is just complaining about Discussions.

        Loading editor
    • There is forums got replaced.

        Loading editor
    • Grudgeholderr wrote: If it's been that long and we are still arguing, than it is a good discussion.

      Good point.

        Loading editor
    • JamesTheNerdKing wrote:

      Grudgeholderr wrote: If it's been that long and we are still arguing, than it is a good discussion.

      Good point.

      Yes it's ture.

        Loading editor
    • Did we like it?

        Loading editor
    • I enjoyed reading a bit of it.

        Loading editor
    • Sure

        Loading editor
    • I like them so much.

        Loading editor
    • What are we even talking about?

        Loading editor
    • The discussions.

        Loading editor
    • I don’t get it, so you’re saying you like Discussions?

        Loading editor
    • 33Nepeta wrote:
      I don’t get it, so you’re saying you like Discussions?

      Yes

        Loading editor
    • PictureField55 wrote:

      33Nepeta wrote:
      I don’t get it, so you’re saying you like Discussions?

      Yes

      why?

        Loading editor
    • Because It is easier and great to reply to the messages. It can also helo a lot of users.It has an upvote button. It can be click to all the way.

        Loading editor
    • PictureField55 wrote: Because It is easier and great to reply to the messages. It can also helo a lot of users.It has an upvote button. It can be click to all the way.

      I don’t understand what you said, other than it’s faster and easier to use and you can upvote. Forums can do all of that, and more so..

        Loading editor
    • OK

        Loading editor
    • Discussions is...

      • Glitchy: Especially with bad WiFi, Discussions easily malfunctions. The notifs don't disappear themselves often.
      • Ugly: Any code does not work at all! Not even personal code! My toolbar is back to black and white in Discussions!
      • Inconvenient: The upvote button is smaller and harder to hit than Kudos.
        Loading editor
    • Alright then

        Loading editor
    • It seems like you are trying to end this discussion.

        Loading editor
    • I got information at all.

        Loading editor
    • ?

        Loading editor
    • I was seeing any wikis that have discussions.

        Loading editor
    • A big one is the Harry Potter Wikia. I remember a few months (a year) ago I went there and got really confused since I couldn't find the Forums.

        Loading editor
    • You are right.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message