FANDOM

• I wanted to edit the local MediaWiki:Clearyourcache to reorganize it by operating system instead of browser and to add links to the various css and js pages on the wiki. I could not do it since I do not have the privileges to do so.

The current message is:

Note: After saving, you may have to bypass your browser's cache to see the changes.

• Chrome - Windows: Hold the Ctrl key and press the F5 key. OS X: Hold both the ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift keys and press the R key.
    • Safari - Hold down the ⇧ Shift key and click the Reload toolbar button.
    • Firefox - Windows: Hold the Ctrl key, and press F5. OS X: Hold the ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift keys, and then press R.
    • Internet Explorer - Hold the Ctrl key, and press F5 (or click the Refresh button).

I would like to change it to:

Note: After saving, you may have to bypass your browser's cache to see the changes. (Only add browsers if they do not follow OS conventions.)

• Windows and Linux - Hold the Ctrl key and press the F5 key.
    • OS X - Hold both the ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift keys and press the R key.
    • Mobile - <unknown by me at this time>.

(The above would expand as more wiki-wide .css and .js files are added.)

So, may I please edit the TWU Clearyourcache to the above? Lady Aleena (talk) 04:33, December 1, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • You need to contact staff for this.

Loading editor
    • I did, but they only changed it on the wiki I admin, not a complete overhaul. I've also found out that the original is extraordinarily outdated. Lady Aleena (talk) 03:06, December 15, 2017 (UTC)

Oh my GUH! This is over two weeks old! Lady Aleena (talk) 03:14, December 15, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Lady Aleena wrote: they only changed it on the wiki I admin, not a complete overhaul

Untested: If you want to change a system message "globally" (limited to FANDOM) you could try to find the code on GitHub and report it there as issue. Or another place where the Wikia developers hang out, maybe they have a mailing list.

Something on my ToDo list, I intend to fork the code, change one line (the broken OEIS: interwiki link), and submit the result as pull request. Just in case, MediaWiki proper (not the odd FANDOM fork) also still uses the old mw:MediaWiki:Clearyourcache text, maybe suggest your shorter idea on mw:MediaWiki talk:Clearyourcache.

Updated two weeks later, the pull request ended up as general failure.

Loading editor
    • I don't really see how this is an actual issue. It seems more of just an opinion to me. Besides, I think there is benefit to having instructions even for common browsers because some people don't know how to refresh pages. I also don't quite understand the purpose of listing the CSS and JS pages. By the way, a list is already available here.

Loading editor
    • Clearyourcache is a bit of an eyesore right now, at least to me. It appears jumbled and has the same information on almost every line. So, I consolidated that information into as few lines as possible.

Most browsers go with the default refresh of the operating system. All the browsers on my system use Ctrl+F5 just like Windows does, or did Linux have it first and Windows stole it from them.

Also, I like to be able to quickly go from one style sheet to the other without having to type the name into the search bar or location bar. It is a navigation tool on those pages. Lady Aleena (talk) 09:38, December 19, 2017 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • I see your point about it being a useful navigation aid. But given that some wikis use much more than just the base CSS/JS pages, it seems a bit pointless to force a certain format. Perhaps you could suggest Wikia add a navigation portion to the pages that admins could edit to fit the wiki.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message