FANDOM

• For anyone around long enough to know a bit about SemanticMediaWiki, I have a small annoyance on my hands. I admin the Transformers Legends Wiki which has the honor of being among the small handful to have this extension enabled. I have been trying to do some wiki cleanup and noticed that Special:WantedPages lists pages that used to be but are no longer linked to by the output of #ask. I also noticed that Special:Properties lists properties that are unused and do not have a property page. However, those same properties are not listed on Special:WantedProperties. I know a while back Wikia kindly did an update of SemanticMediaWiki even though they had already stopped support. I have no idea if it might be related to that.

Any ideas on what is going on or how to fix it?

Loading editor
    • Special:Contact/general from your wiki. Many special pages get stale caches regularly, so it may have nothing to do with SMW, though. Your wiki may just need a kick.

Loading editor
    • Maybe in a few more days, I'll contact staff. However, it might be worth noting that Special:WantedPages does update every 24 hours; it just hasn't, for a while now, removed pages with #ask despite #ask no longer linking to the page.

Loading editor
    • Special:WantedPages is supposed to update every 24 hours. It is notorious for breaking and not updating. Also, you may want to check Special:Insights and see if that is working still. It is also known for breaking.

Loading editor
    • I know. What I am saying is that it has been. When I resolve a redlink on something like and article, blog, or forum post, that page is always removed from Special:WhatLinksHere and the link count goes down within 24 hours. However, this is not the case with pages that use #ask. Such pages have stayed on Special:WhatLinksHere for months and the link count on Special:WantedPages doesn't go down.

For example, lets say I create PageA in Category:TestPages. I then link to it on PageB, PageC, and PageD. I then use #ask to list pages in Category:TestPages on PageE and PageF. I am generous so I let it sit for a week. I then delete PageA. Let it sit for a week. Assuming the article pages haven't been purged yet, Special:WantedPages would tell me there are 5 links to PageA and Special:WhatLinksHere would link to pages B-F. Now I remove the links from pages B-D and purge PageE and PageF such that they no longer try to link to PageA. I am still a generous user so I let it sit for a week. Now Special:WantedPages says there are two links to PageA. When I check Special:WhatLinksHere, it says that PageE and PageF still link to PageA.

So, what I am trying to say is that I know for sure the page updates every 24 hours as it should. The problem is that pages using #ask seem to not get caught in those updates.

Edit:

Screenshots for an actual example. Check my contributions and compare to the results on Special:WantedPages and Special:WhatLinksHere. Of course, wait at least until the next update which should be at 17:35 UTC on January 6th 2018.

Andrewds1021 Transformers Legends Wiki SpecialWantedPages 2018-01-06-08-12 Andrewds1021 Transformers Legends Wiki SpecialWhatLinksHere Ultra Magnus 2018-01-06-08-14

Loading editor
    • I had Wanted update issues all over Nov and Dec, for wikis with and without SMW.

Loading editor
    • But what were the issues? In my case, it is performing, for lack of a better term, partial updates. What Fandyllic has described sounds like an all-or-nothing issue which is not what I am having.

Loading editor
    • In my case, it was either empty or not updated.

Loading editor
    • Interesting. I haven't had that issue yet.

Loading editor
    • Example Update:

Andrewds1021 Transformers Legends Wiki SpecialWantedPages 2018-01-06-22-09 Andrewds1021 Transformers Legends Wiki SpecialWhatLinksHere Ultra Magnus 2018-01-06-22-10

Although, the thought has occurred to me that perhaps purging the pages (the ones with #ask) might help. I'll give it a try know and see what happens tomorrow.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message