FANDOM

• Our wiki is at the point that we need to create a page with a few official guidelines for contributing to articles and interacting with the community. What are good ways to improve the chances someone will be aware that these policies exist? So far my ideas are:

• Customize the automated welcome message (doesn't reach anonymous users)
    • Link on the homepage (maybe not everyone looks at the homepage)
    • Link in the top bar of menus (but I think we can only customize a submenu of it, so people might not see it. Right?)
      Loading editor
    • Unfortunately, there is not much else besides what you already listed.

Loading editor
      • Put a message and link about it in (this is for the popup when you edit MediaWiki:Community-corner): MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg
      • Put a message and link about it in: MediaWiki:Community-corner
      • There are various MediaWiki: pages you can edit to put a message to show up when people create a new article, but I forget what they are.
      • See if there is some JS that will popup a message when you try to edit a page over at Dev wiki.
      • If you have Forum: Create a forum post about it and highlight it.
      • Highlight a Discussion post abou... oh wait.
        Loading editor
    • Oh right, Community Corner. I forgot that existed, so it's probably not very visible itself, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Don't highlights only last 24 hours?

Loading editor
    • I'm not sure I understand your first point there Fandyllic.

Loading editor
    • Depending on the age of your Wiki it might have inherited a Project:Simplified Ruleset page created by User:Default (=a staff bot) in 2006 (example). You can edit and/or (re)name that page as you see fit if the users on your wiki want something else, and then wikilink to it from relevant pages, e.g., a community portal. Some relevant pages are added to all new wikis, but I forgot where the master copy is (it's another wiki, not community central).

Ruleset is a technical term on my home wiki, policy is also a technical term, therefore I plan to merge this cruft into [[Project:Policy]] later (=if nobody on this wiki suggests a better plan). The project namespace can use Wiki terminology without causing confusion for the search engine for users only interested in the game terminology.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your first point there Fandyllic.

MediaWiki:Community-corner and MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg work together.

MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg contains the contents of the wiki-wide notification popup that shows up in the bottom right corner of the window when you publish an edit to MediaWiki:Community-corner.

This is poorly documented in Help:Community messages.

Loading editor
    • Okay. Makes a bit more sense now.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message