FANDOM

• We hope you all had a wonder holiday period, whatever you were doing. Tomorrow (Tuesday) marks the return to our normal daily code release schedule.

Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for January 9, 2018:

• BUGFIX: The ?action=credits URL parameter will be fixed.
    • NOTABLE: FANDOM-hosted images with vignette URLs (including avatars) can now be hotlinked within articles.
    • Plus many minor bugfixes and performance tweaks!
      Loading editor
      • BUGFIX: The ?action=credits URL parameter will be fixed.
      • NOTABLE: FANDOM-hosted images with vignetter URLs (including avatars) can now be hotlinked within articles.

Excellent!

Loading editor
    • I am assuming that applies to just the default avatars, not one user upload; right?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: I am assuming that applies to just the default avatars, not one user upload; right?

531c1766-790e-45e3-98ab-287e6b602a8f

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:

Andrewds1021 wrote: I am assuming that applies to just the default avatars, not one user upload; right?

531c1766-790e-45e3-98ab-287e6b602a8f

I see. How is it different than before? I never tried it prior to this but I sort of just assumed that you could always just treat it as an external image link. That has always worked for non-avatar images.

Loading editor
    • You could've hotlinked an avatar before too, if it were suffixed with #.png. On most wikis I believe you could've hotlinked Vignette images before, yeah. I know the code repository pull requests aren't the most trusted source of information related to community team decisions but there's the quote for the pull request related to this change:

This is so we can deprecate hotlinking external images and allow users
      to hotlink images from personal or scratchpad wikis.
      ~ Grunny

Ultimately I believe they did this because of HTTPS support and potential attempts at implementing a Content Security Policy.

Loading editor
    • FANDOM-hosted images with vignette URLs (including avatars) can now be hotlinked within articles.

Hooray!

Loading editor
    • Is there a way to find the vignettes?

Loading editor
    • You can go to an image and click "See full size image" if that's what you mean. The URL is a vignette.

Loading editor
    • Right click, open image in new tab. Check the URL. Should be what you are looking for.

Loading editor
    • oo ok. Thanks.

Loading editor
    • That would appear to imply that hotlinking to external images has been removed. Or, at least will not be maintained.

Loading editor
    • I believe that implies they are going to remove hotlinking to external images.

Loading editor
    • It seems that they've already removed (most of) it, since hotlinking external images doesn't seem to work for me.

Loading editor
    • Only images from sites at MediaWiki:External_image_whitelist are possible to be hotlinked.

Loading editor
    • Apparently the whitelist is nothing new; I just never knew about it before. It looks like there haven't been any changes yet.

Loading editor
    • No changes to the whitelist, but the reason you couldn't hotlink Fandom's image was because their URLs don't end with an extension (for example .jpg). This has been corrected.

You could bypass this bug previously by adding that bit without breaking the URL. Kocka's method above is one way. Another one was using a dummy parameter like ?vuh=.png (it doesn't have to be vuh, but I used vuh to credit him for indirectly showing me this method).

EDIT: It's not a reply to post #4, ignore what is said in the upper-right corner.

Loading editor
    • I see. So, does that mean you also couldn't hotlink to things like the wiki background image? Just curious.

Loading editor
    • If you are asking whether you could use CSS to set the wiki's background instead of using the theme designer, then you could actually do that. No issues there, because the rendering engines in browsers don't look at the end bit of URL to determine the file type.

But you couldn't simply paste such link into an article or a forum post to embed the image without one of the above tricks. There was usually less of a need for that, because you could simply add the file normally with the appropriate editor function. For us it was actually useful for embedding user avatars.

Loading editor
    • Vengir wrote: But you couldn't simply paste such link into an article or a forum post to embed the image without one of the above tricks. There was usually less of a need for that, because you could simply add the file normally with the appropriate editor function. For us it was actually useful for embedding user avatars.

That is what I was asking about. Thanks for the clarification.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message