FANDOM

• Hi,

We are using the {{Quote}} template for our quotes.

This works perfectly fine in the desktop view. But on mobile, the quote appears upside down for me, quote on the bottom, who it's from on the top.

This is the page:

http://theedgechronicles.wikia.com/wiki/Waif_Signallers

What is the easiest solution to this? And what is actually the problem?

Thanks for you help!

Loading editor
    • This is really strange. I would report the problem via w:c:theedgechronicles:Special:Contact/bug (make sure you have a good email address setup in Special:Preferences). Normally problems between desktop and mobile are due to CSS being ignored on mobile, but the mobile skin is strangely swapping parameter usage in your case.

Please tell us what Fandom staff says, if you report the problem.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for your answer! I did what you proposed and reported the problem and this is what I got as an answer:

They told me that they "use some special parsing for quotes on the mobile layout and when it can't identify the specific parameters used, it assumes the longest one is the quote itself" ( That's the exact reply, I didn't want to change anything and maybe explain something wrong). In the quote I used, the origin is longer than the quote itself, that's why it swapped them. They also suggested naming the parameters. Until I have the time to do that, I just added a lot of spaces behind the exclamation mark and it worked just fine (probably not the best way to solve the problem, but a fast one).

Loading editor
    • Gloamglozer wrote: (probably not the best way to solve the problem, but a fast one).

The best one would be writing a Lua module to add that space automatically for you but I guess that's an overkill. It's a long-known bug with very little priority. I don't think naming parameters will help, but tell us if it does. By the way, it only does that if the origin is about 2x longer than the quote.

Loading editor
    • I used blockquote, q and cite tags to bypass the bug. If you make it a Design template, that should ensure it doesn't flip it over due to length:

<blockquote class="article-quote">
      <q>{{{1}}}</q>
      <cite>{{{2}}}</cite>
      </blockquote>

Style them with this CSS to make them serviceable:

.article-quote q:before {
          content: open-quote;
      }
      .article-quote q:after {
          content: close-quote;
      }
      .article-quote cite {
          display: block;
          margin: 0.4em 0;
      }
      .article-quote cite:before {
          content: '—';
          margin-right: 0.2em;
      }

You can see it kicking at w:c:discussions.

Loading editor
    • So, could this also be fixed by just changing the template type to "Data" or something? Sounds like the way they treat quote type templates is pretty stupid.

Loading editor
    • Well... you could, but then it would probably display even worse on mobile.

Loading editor
    • Worse than showing parameter contents in the wrong order?

Loading editor
    • Hm, looks like it doesn't look as bad as I thought on mobile. I think "Citation or reference" template type would be more appropriate though (or at least that's what the template autolabeling system assigned to the quote template from that wiki when I copied it over to another wiki). I still prefer the look of quote templates on mobile, though.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message