FANDOM


  • Hi! LexSex1998 here.

    I want the Achievements feature that is enabled on many wikis to be eventually replaced by something else: FANDOM Rewards.

    Why do you think I should do this? Well, FANDOM Staff will no longer make any updates to Achievements. So we’ll choose to enable a new reward system known as FANDOM Rewards, which should be eventually used on all wikis.

    FANDOM Rewards

    User levels (styled in the Level <number> (<class>) - <color> format on a user profile)

    Level colors

    • Level 1 (Newbie) - White
    • Level 2 (Rookie) - Yellow
    • Level 3 (Fledgling) - Orange
    • Level 4 (Connoisseur) - Green
    • Level 5 (Signator Junior) - Blue
    • Level 6 (Signator Senior) - Purple
    • Level 7 (Enterpreneur) - Brown
    • Level 8 (Genius) - Red
    • Level 9 (Hero) - Gray
    • Level 10 (Superhero) - Black
    • Level 11+ (More Than A Superhero!) - Rainbow

    FANDOM Points needed for leveling up

    Level Class Color FANDOM Points needed
    to reach this
    level
    1 Newbie White 0
    2 Rookie Yellow 5
    3 Fledgling Orange 10
    4 Connoisseur Green 20
    5 Signator Junior Blue 40
    6 Signator Senior Purple 80
    7 Enterpreneur Brown 160
    8 Genius Red 320
    9 Hero Gray 640
    10 Superhero Black 1280
    11+ More Than A Superhero! Rainbow 2560 each

    FANDOM Rewards Badge System

    Badge classes (classified as <class name> (<class number>) on a user’s profile)

    • Silver (Class 1) - 5 FANDOM Points
    • Gold (Class 2) - 25 FANDOM Points
    • Platinum (Class 3) - 125 FANDOM Points
    • Diamond (Class 4) - 325 FANDOM Points
    • Diamond Select (Class 5) - 725 FANDOM Points

    Badge names

    • Photographer - each class of it is unlocked when you have uploaded 10 photos on a wiki (available in Classes 1-5)
    • Author - each class of it is unlocked when you have made 10 edits on a wiki (available in Classes 1-5)
    • Interviewer - each class of it is unlocked when you have posted 10 comments/replies/posts in a user’s Message Wall/Comments section of an article/Discussions on a wiki (available in Classes 1-5)
    • Blogger - each class of it is unlocked when you have created a blog post on a wiki (available in Classes 1-3)
    • Goodie - each class of it is unlocked when you haven’t had any of your edits reverted for 20 days on a wiki (available in Classes 1-4)
    • Angel - each class of it is unlocked when no signs of profanity have been recorded in your edit/blogging/photo-uploading log for 10 days on a wiki (available in Classes 1-5, plus a Class 6 (or Diamond Select II) that’s exclusive to this Badge)
    • Full-Time Worker - each class of it is unlocked when you have contributed to a wiki for a month (available in Classes 1-4)

    User Profile redesign

    The user profile that you see on wikis that don’t use the ModernProfile extension should be redesigned to make it look like the ones you see on Twitter. If the user doesn’t have a profile picture uploaded, the FANDOM logo will be used in its slot.

    User Message Wall redesign

    The Message Wall on FANDOM communities that you use like talk pages on Wikipedia should be redesigned to look like Discussions, but with the Upvote/Downvote buttons removed.

    Thanks!

      Loading editor
    • You should use Special:Contact/feedback to give suggestions rather than here.

        Loading editor
    • Aside from above note about sending feedback, I hope you considered the practical problems.

      • Badges are disabled, soooo... you want to bring back badges?
      • This new system has the same basic problem the Achievements have: it doesn't actually reward good behavior. The only two ways to automatically log user actions are quantity and time. They don't say anything about quality. Making 100 incorrect (and reverted) edits don't make you a connoisseur of anything, whilst the one user that writes extensive summaries will still be a rookie. Also, expect blog spam on wikis that rarely do blogs.
      • Regarding profiles: mobile bios already have a new look. The masthead sort of covers that. The actual user page, user talk page and Message Walls however more often require in depth discussion about editing wikis, so they should not be switched to a system that does not support MediaWiki. Discussions is not an esthetic thing, it built from scratch without any MediaWiki involved. It's good for mobile involvement, but not for actual editing.
        Loading editor
    • In addition to what Tupka217 already said...

      I think your badge system sets way too low of a bar. All you need is 50 edits and 30 replies to reach the highest level. Plus, there is no reward for anything once a user reached 50 photos, 50 edits, 50 replies, and 3 blog posts. Also, Achievements allows admins to make custom tracks.

      As for user profiles, why should it look like Twitter? What functional benefit would there be? This seems like a rather arbitrary suggestion. Also, why is the FANDOM logo a better placeholder profile image? When used in this manner, it is just as generic and meaningless as the ones Wikia currently has.

      What Tupka217 said. Also, since Message Walls currently use the same format as Forums. This point has also been addressed by your earlier thread.

        Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

      This new system has the same basic problem the Achievements have: it doesn't actually reward good behavior.

      To continue with what Tupka said, there's actually a way to reward good behavior: Medals.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, but that requires that admins actively monitor all users. It might not be a problem for small communities but for larger ones that would be a nightmare. The issue with any automated system is that the computer cannot differentiate between high and low quality contributions. If you want to have a reward system that takes quality into account, it would have to be manually monitored.

        Loading editor
    • Actually I'm a part of the Diep.io Wiki, which is pretty large with a WAM Score in the low 90s. We use Medals and it works fine; however, we only give Medals for big milestones (1000 edits, 2000 edits, etc.), so I do agree that giving Medals for small milestones would be a nightmare.

        Loading editor
    • Even so, that only works because you have an active admin team.

        Loading editor
    • Exactly, but having rewards only for those who deserve them really isn't that much of a big issue in inactive/small wikis.

        Loading editor
    • You may customize the profile masthead block with css to make it more like Twitter. You can see my own on my global.js which provides a decent modernization. If you want other modern version, ModernProfile from dev wiki is your friend. 

        Loading editor
    • I have a feeling LexSex1998 meant that the change should be for all mastheads and visible for all users. But I suppose personal global CSS/JS would be a good compromise.

        Loading editor
    • I’ve updated the Badge Suggestions list for the FANDOM Rewards feature suggestion, and will now include good behavior.

        Loading editor
    • LexSex1998 wrote: I’ve updated the Badge Suggestions list for the FANDOM Rewards feature suggestion, and will now include good behavior.

      Special:Contact/feedback, show your updated suggestions there.

        Loading editor
    • LexSex1998 wrote: I’ve updated the Badge Suggestions list for the FANDOM Rewards feature suggestion, and will now include good behavior.

      Also, I’ve added ‘Angel’ to the Badge Suggestions list, which means that both the ‘Goodie’ and ‘Angel’ badges are rewarded for good behavior.

      For those who are unfamiliar with those types of badges, the ‘Angel’ Badge should be rewarded for not using profanity for 10 days on a wiki, and the ‘Goodie’ Badge should be rewarded for not having any edits reverted for 20 days on a wiki.

        Loading editor
    • I prefer the Medals idea as TheGoldenPatrik1 said.

        Loading editor
    • Good job, QertyXP2000 II. However, this is a feature suggestion, NOT a discussion about the Medals idea.

        Loading editor
    • LexSex1998 wrote: Good job, QertyXP2000 II. However, this is a feature suggestion, NOT a discussion about the Medals idea.

      But we are discussing about the types of things that could incorporate the very most above idea, right?

        Loading editor
    • Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote:

      LexSex1998 wrote: Good job, QertyXP2000 II. However, this is a feature suggestion, NOT a discussion about the Medals idea.

      But we are discussing about the types of things that could incorporate the very most above idea, right?


      Remember; listen to me: This is a discussion about a feature suggestion, NOT a discussion about the Medals idea. I know what you think about this, but when I say NO, do what I say. Don't expect me to say 'Medals' this and 'Medals' that.

        Loading editor
    • The new badges you added sound like a great idea, but again, I think they set the bar too low. Plus, the rest of the structure hasn't changed so the bar for reaching level 10 is still low. In fact, relative to the maximum possible points, it is now even lower than it was before.

      I disagree. The purpose of this thread is to discuss an alternative to Achievements. If Qwertyxp2000_the_second thinks that this is already covered by Medals, then that point should be discussed.


      Edit:

      What you are suggesting can already be half accomplished. Combining Medals with either UserTags or ProfileTags would allow you to do what you have suggested. The only issue is that the awarding would not be automated; so admins would need to manually keep track of everyone's scores/edits.

      By the way, does anyone here know, from a community standpoint, what the difference is between UserTags and ProfileTags? From the general descriptions, they sound the same.

        Loading editor
    • Alright! I've mentioned levels 11 and up for the FANDOM Rewards user level system, which should be in rainbow color.

        Loading editor
    • LexSex1998 wrote:
      Alright! I've mentioned levels 11 and up for the FANDOM Rewards user level system, which should be in rainbow color.


      Also, I've stated that levels 11 and up should be reached with 2560 FANDOM Points each in the FANDOM Rewards user level system.

        Loading editor
    • Fair enough. By the way, how much would a Diamond Select II be worth?

        Loading editor
    • LexSex1998 wrote:

      Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote:

      LexSex1998 wrote: Good job, QertyXP2000 II. However, this is a feature suggestion, NOT a discussion about the Medals idea.

      But we are discussing about the types of things that could incorporate the very most above idea, right?


      Remember; listen to me: This is a discussion about a feature suggestion, NOT a discussion about the Medals idea. I know what you think about this, but when I say NO, do what I say. Don't expect me to say 'Medals' this and 'Medals' that.

      The words you said are exactly the same. Sorry, but I do not understand the current set of wording.

        Loading editor
    • LexSex1998 wrote:

      Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote:

      LexSex1998 wrote: Good job, QertyXP2000 II. However, this is a feature suggestion, NOT a discussion about the Medals idea.

      But we are discussing about the types of things that could incorporate the very most above idea, right?


      Remember; listen to me: This is a discussion about a feature suggestion, NOT a discussion about the Medals idea. I know what you think about this, but when I say NO, do what I say. Don't expect me to say 'Medals' this and 'Medals' that.

      That type of writing style is a little too bossy for my liking.

        Loading editor
    • Honestly I have no idea what we’re discussing because I’m not paying attention and I cannot care.

      Please. Contact. Fandom.

        Loading editor
    • That type of writing style is a little too bossy for my liking. </div> how

        Loading editor
    • Qwertyxp2000 the second wrote: That type of writing style is a little too bossy for my liking.

      33Nepeta wrote:

      how

      LexSex1998 is writing a type of writing style that would be self-proclaiming that he is the boss of everyone when in fact he is just a normal user. What I written in bold are some of the examples where this this "bossy" talk would be shown.

        Loading editor
    • It’s not bossy, but quite rude...

        Loading editor
    • 33Nepeta wrote: It’s not bossy, but quite rude...

      Yes, it is rude because it's attempting to sound bossy when actually it's abusing authorityship.

        Loading editor
    • They’re just disagreeing, very rudely. I disagree with their idea too, it’s just achievements but more colorful and fancy titles.

        Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Fair enough. By the way, how much would a Diamond Select II be worth?

      It's worth 1225 FANDOM Points, Andrew!

        Loading editor
    • Did I miss something? There seems to be no info on how FANDOM Points are earned. This seems like a HUGE hole.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Did I miss something? There seems to be no info on how FANDOM Points are earned. This seems like a HUGE hole.

      I’m assuming it’s like the Achievments feature, in which you just edit pages and stuff like that..

        Loading editor
    • That's pretty vague considering all the other detail given.

        Loading editor
    • I don't understand where you are coming from. The point system seems pretty clear to me; and it is essentially like Achievements. Well, more like Achievements, Medals, and ProfileTags combined. Basically, there are some goals that are edit count based and others that are behavior based. Both award badges which come with points. The amount of points depends on the class. As you accumulate points, you gain ranks which are recognized by a special group tag in your user profile.

        Loading editor
    • But exactly how do you accumulate points? Help:Achievements doesn't really tell you, so it is basically guesswork. If you're going to propose a completely new system, you might as well explain how the points for all the other stuff are earned.

      "...it is essentially like Achievements" is not really informative.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: That's pretty vague considering all the other detail given.

      It’s not, that’s literally the entire system, you get a rank and color for making a certain amount of edits, that’s not my fault.

        Loading editor
    • edits and good behavior earn badges

      badges earn points

      points earn a rank

      rank earns a profile tag

      Is that any clearer?

        Loading editor
    • Okay, now I get it. The Badge stuff was confusing me because it I would have listed the badge names before badge classes. The connection between badge name and classes isn't super clear to me, but I guess there is some increasing level of contribution to get the next class.

      I don't think "good behavior" can really be measured. A bad edit can count as much as a good one even in the new system.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Okay, now I get it. The Badge stuff was confusing me because it I would have listed the badge names before badge classes. The connection between badge name and classes isn't super clear to me, but I guess there is some increasing level of contribution to get the next class.

      I don't think "good behavior" can really be measured. A bad edit can count as much as a good one even in the new system.

      This was already discussed before, including the flaws of it.

      I generally disagree with the whole FANDOMS Rewards suggestion, even the name sounds weird.

        Loading editor
    • I must agree.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message