FANDOM

• I think that the ability to rename pages in the category namespace should be allowed on FANDOM, especially if it is a large category. I don't know why this feature has never been implemented, as it would be very convenient to simply rename it than having to delete the misspelled/misleadingly named one and recreate it with a new title, as you would keep having to waste your time adding a large number of pages to the recreated one.

Loading editor
    • The category would still have to be updated on every individual page in said category tho

Loading editor
    • The ability to rename categories would be chaotic, with the current structure of the system, as the result of the reason above. Renaming categories would just create additional wanted categories and categories with no pages listed in them, hence there's no "Rename/Move" option for categories. If pages were added to categories instead of categories added to pages then it would stand to reason that categories could be renamed without the need to update every page with the new category name.

A script fortunately exists that works great for the occasional renaming of large categories.

Loading editor
    • This a problem that exists for all MediaWiki-based wikis as far as I know. It was probably poor design that never got addressed.

Loading editor
    • If you wanted to, you could create a bot that could do that type of work for you.

Loading editor
    • There are also dev scripts like MassCategorization.

Loading editor
    • Uptownmath wrote: you could create a bot that could do that type of work for you.

Or steal the working CommonsDelinker, renaming categories is a fairly simple procedure. For my purposes (closing commons category discussions as ordinary user without bot or admin rights) with less than twenty affected files I always managed it manually.
        Loading editor
    • Dunnoob wrote:

Or steal the working CommonsDelinker, renaming categories is a fairly simple procedure. For my purposes (closing commons category discussions as ordinary user without bot or admin rights) with less than twenty affected files I always managed it manually.

What do you mean by "steal"?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: What do you mean by "steal"?

WikiMedia templates etc. are supposed to be {{Cc-by-sa-3.0|TBD}} with some TBD credits for the by-business. It's no big deal to get this right for images.

For stuff like templates I generally reduce it to an import from interwikilink—interpreting TBD differently, e.g., when "stealing my own" templates from c:, m:, mw:, … I skip the credits.

Loading editor
    • The problem is that you're talking as if porting Wikipedia/MediaWiki templates as if it were relatively problem free. Lately, it usually isn't.

Port that template to Templates wiki and then we'll talk.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

The problem is that you're talking as if porting Wikipedia/MediaWiki templates as if it were relatively problem free.
      Well, I'd know how to get rid of fancy wikipedia /doc features, kill obscure {{LangSwitch}} and other i18n stuff before it can bite me, or strip the nice TemplateData, because we have only Template types here, and I'm anyway not using a visual editor.

Just in case, commons:User:CommonsDelinker is a bot, not a template. I was talking about copyrights because you asked, and used "copying templates" only as an example, because i have no idea where the source code of this bot might be (and I'm too lazy to figure it out.)

Loading editor
    • Hence, not so easy.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message