FANDOM


  • Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for January 25, 2018:

    • NOTABLE: We will be added a new special page called Special:ListGlobalUsers. This page solely lists accounts that have global rights across FANDOM, such as FANDOM Staff, VSTF and Helpers.
      • After this is live, we will be removing such accounts from Special:ListUsers, giving it a narrower focus on locally active accounts.
      • Note: If an account with global rights edits a wiki, they will still appear on Special:ListUsers.
      Loading editor
    • Hmmm, I was wondering about this. Thanks for the implementation.

        Loading editor
    • This is a nice feature! If a user has a global right but is locally active, can you query for locally active global groups? For example, I sometimes want to query all Staff that are active on a Wiki, but I have to specify the one-edit parameter or else I get hundreds of results. Could I feasibly still do Special:ListUsers/staff like normal, only without all the locally inactive accounts?

        Loading editor
    • This looks great!

        Loading editor
    • Good feature.

        Loading editor
    • Good.

        Loading editor
    • Nice

        Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote: This is a nice feature! If a user has a global right but is locally active, can you query for locally active global groups? For example, I sometimes want to query all Staff that are active on a Wiki, but I have to specify the one-edit parameter or else I get hundreds of results. Could I feasibly still do Special:ListUsers/staff like normal, only without all the locally inactive accounts?

      Based on Kirkburn's original post, yes. If my understanding is correct, Special:ListUsers used to list all users (local or global) that had made at least 1 edit plus the rest of the global users. Now, they are simply removing the global users that have not made any edits. However, to still make a list of global users available, they are creating Special:ListGlobalUsers.

      Nice feature!


      An after thought...

      Does this mean that the "all users" option in the "Contributed" dropdown will be removed? It seems like it would serve no purpose to keep it around as the page would only list those who have contributed "1 time or more".

        Loading editor
    • Looks great but some styles like the wds-sign-out button got broken. I may S:C it. In addition, it also broke some button stylings for wikis with styled buttons.

        Loading editor
    • @ HM100: I'll bring that up with the team, thanks.

      @ Andrewds1021: I don't think that option is going anywhere, particularly as we may be able to tweak ListUsers to cover more types of local activities (beyond editing) in future.

        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn, why was Special:RandomWiki removed, recently?

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: Kirkburn, why was Special:RandomWiki removed, recently?

      It was seeing very little use (a couple of hits per day), and it's not something we were exposing in the UI any more.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, okay. Thanks for the info. However, I think that it would've been more used if it was available in the "Explore Wikis" module header in the first place.

        Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote: Looks great but some styles like the wds-sign-out button got broken. I may S:C it. In addition, it also broke some button stylings for wikis with styled buttons.

      Looks like they fixed it already. But there is new CSS (or missing CSS).

        Loading editor
    • I think that there should still be an option to show all of the users at once.

        Loading editor
    • Uptownmath wrote:
      I think that there should still be an option to show all of the users at once.

      You mean all in 1 page, instead of having to click "next page"?

        Loading editor
    • I believe they may mean something like "show all active accounts on FANDOM, whether they locally edited or not"? If so, I don't think this is very feasible.

      Some odd design quirks that appeared after today's release have been reported to the team for fixing (such as the "sign out" button becoming highlighted, and some buttons becoming a bit short) - thanks for the reports.

        Loading editor
    • Sounds awesome! :D

        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote: I believe they may mean something like "show all active accounts on FANDOM, whether they locally edited or not"? If so, I don't think this is very feasible.

      Some odd design quirks that appeared after today's release have been reported to the team for fixing (such as the "sign out" button becoming highlighted, and some buttons becoming a bit short) - thanks for the reports.

      It's still highlighted for me. Are you sure it is because of this update?

        Loading editor
    • Uptownmath wrote:

      Kirkburn wrote: I believe they may mean something like "show all active accounts on FANDOM, whether they locally edited or not"? If so, I don't think this is very feasible.

      Some odd design quirks that appeared after today's release have been reported to the team for fixing (such as the "sign out" button becoming highlighted, and some buttons becoming a bit short) - thanks for the reports.

      It's still highlighted for me. Are you sure it is because of this update?

      Update may be live on Monday

        Loading editor
    • By the way, there is also an issue with the Fan Feed. It has been discussed on Thread:1383550.

        Loading editor
    • Where was the special:randomwiki?

        Loading editor
    • It was removed, recently, due to very uncommon use.

        Loading editor
    • like where were you able to access it? Or just type it?

        Loading editor
    • You had to type in the URL http://wikia.com/Special:RandomWiki. This link use to go to a random wiki, but now that it is removed, it displays as an error page.

        Loading editor
    • It was stupid that it was removed from view in the first place. With the redesign of the footer area, it shoulda been readded or added to the bottom of the "Explore" menu in the header. That's the only way I found other wikis.

        Loading editor
    • In my experience, Special:RandomWiki was not truly random. I always landed on large wikis and sometimes landed on the same ones. Since there are thousands of wikis, neither of these things should have happened.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, I had experienced landing on a number of wikis repeatedly which, given the number of wikis, shouldn't of happened.

        Loading editor
    • This has been discussed before. Thread:1273474

        Loading editor
    • Cqm

      There's a bit of a bug when I view it in mobile (android chrome). The filter list loads in one column, then shrinks to 3 rows and a fair chunk of the options get cut off as there doesn't seem to be a way to scroll sideways on the list.

        Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      I believe they may mean something like "show all active accounts on FANDOM, whether they locally edited or not"? If so, I don't think this is very feasible.

      Some odd design quirks that appeared after today's release have been reported to the team for fixing (such as the "sign out" button becoming highlighted, and some buttons becoming a bit short) - thanks for the reports.

      I also found chiclet buttons on the lightbox bugged as well.

        Loading editor
    • @ Cqm : I believe I see what you mean. I'll pass that along.

      @ HM100 : yeah, I've made sure that's on the ticket.

      Note: we've no special notes for Monday's release, but we'll still likely get the 'sign out' design issues sorted fairly early next week.

        Loading editor
    • Based on my own experience, I think the issue is with browsers that do not support (or fully support) flex boxes. I encountered a similar display issue as the one Cqm did in Internet Explorer. It may be worth noting that the use of flex boxes also contributed to the display issue with the predecessor of the current "Trending FANDOM Articles" rail module layout.

      Special:ListUsers uses a table for the layout. I modified the page in my browser and got a pretty good layout for Special:ListGLobalUsers by:

      1. changing the list from nested div to ul and li
      2. removing display: flex;
      3. removing max-height: 150px;
      4. adding column-count: 3;

      Of course, the change in HTML elements cannot be achieve with simple personal CSS.

        Loading editor
    • @Andrewds1021: I've made a note of that on my report for the team, thanks.

        Loading editor
    • I love the ListGlobalUsers interface. It's so clean and easy to use! I feel like Listusers who benefit from a change to make it more similar to LGU.

        Loading editor
    • I personally would muich rather prefer the table format. But at least we still have Special:ListUsers. I don't like reading long lists.

        Loading editor
    • Uptownmath wrote: I personally would muich rather prefer the table format. But at least we still have Special:ListUsers. I don't like reading long lists.

      Me too, because why do I need to scroll a lot, manually? Unless if I was in portrait mode, the lists were paginated or the lists were in at least 2 columns, then I would be fine.

        Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

      Uptownmath wrote: I personally would muich rather prefer the table format. But at least we still have Special:ListUsers. I don't like reading long lists.

      Me too, because why do I need to scroll a lot, manually? Unless if I was in portrait mode, the lists were paginated or the lists were in at least 2 columns, then I would be fine.

      Me too. In Edge 16, it works 100% properly like in Chrome (Not tested but I'm sure) but in IE11 it can recongize flex-wrap:wrap; but no efficient results. And for Special:RandomWiki I'm rather neutral now.

        Loading editor
    • Speaking of Special:ListGlobalUsers, I've made a minor CSS plug-in that divides the lists into 3 columns.

        Loading editor
    • Not having last edited is somewhat annoying, but I guess it isn't needed as much. Did Special:ListUsers lose a column of data? I could have sworn it used to give "Last logged in".

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Not having last edited is somewhat annoying, but I guess it isn't needed as much. Did Special:ListUsers lose a column of data? I could have sworn it used to give "Last logged in".

      That would be unnecessary, wouldn't it?

        Loading editor
    • It lost that column a few months ago, I'm pretty sure. Last logged in column displayed very outdated data most of the time.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Not having last edited is somewhat annoying, but I guess it isn't needed as much. Did Special:ListUsers lose a column of data? I could have sworn it used to give "Last logged in".

      I agree.

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:

      It lost that column a few months ago, I'm pretty sure. Last logged in column displayed very outdated data most of the time.

      On dead wikis, "Last logged in" is better than nothing.

        Loading editor
    • It provides some idea of who is still around even if they don't make edits. For example, if they just use Chat.

        Loading editor
    • Still, I do find it pointless that, if they are not actually editing, then there is no point as to whether or not they logged on.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: On dead wikis, "Last logged in" is better than nothing.

      I think removing that column is better than letting it display incorrect data myself.

        Loading editor
    • I preferred semi-correct (it wasn't necessarily incorrect) data to no data.

        Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      I preferred semi-correct (it wasn't necessarily incorrect) data to no data.

      I wouldn't necessarily prefer that. Especially since you probably don't know if it was correct or not.

        Loading editor
    • I've found it useful. When an admin hasn't edited a wiki in awhile, but has logged in to Fandom/Wikia recently, at least you know they're active. The data may be out-of-date, but not incorrect per se. Without that data, I can't know if the admin is even active.

        Loading editor
    • Good point.

        Loading editor
    • TheGoldenPatrik1 wrote:
      Good point.

      Agreed. The admin might just be editing on another wiki.

        Loading editor
    • Nice, this looks very useful!

      But I'm afraid of this isn't enough. We haven't found a way to retrieve all bot users of Wikia (this only list the users that are in all wikis).

      We were using the mediawiki endpoint for that: http://www.wikia.com/api.php; but there are many bots that aren't included in the 'bot' group (I found only 9 bots in all wikia, which is even smaller than the global bots). I think this is a bug.

      Do you have any plan to solve this? Is there any other endpoint where there are listed all the bot users along all Wikia wikis?

      Thank you!

        Loading editor
    • Bot group is a local group, not a global group. bot-global is a global group which you can query for using list=groupmembers endpoint.

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:
      Bot group is a local group, not a global group. bot-global is a global group which you can query for using list=groupmembers endpoint.

      That exactly what I meant in my comment.

      With this endpoint we can query global bots, but not all bots in all Wikia wikis that's what we're looking for.

        Loading editor
    • Why would you need that anyway? I don't think they would ever let you query all wikis due to database load concerns.

        Loading editor
    • I believe that Wikia has a central database for all users. No long time ago, Special:ListUsers was displaying all Wikia users, not just the "local" ones.

      This explains why you don't have to register to every wiki you want to edit, but you use an only one wikia user for all the wikis.

        Loading editor
    • For the Special:ListUsers, it only displays the people who edit on a particular wiki. That's the difference.

        Loading editor
    • Abeserra wrote:

      No long time ago, Special:ListUsers was displaying all Wikia users, not just the "local" ones.

      Yeah, this was never true. It was listing global users plus local users, not all users.

        Loading editor
    • Abeserra wrote: I believe that Wikia has a central database for all users. […]

      This explains why you don't have to register to every wiki you want to edit, but you use an only one wikia user for all the wikis.

      Perhaps they do store some info on the users centrally, but I doubt it includes all the local rights you have on every wiki.

        Loading editor
    • While it is true that Special:ListUsers never displayed everyone in Wikia's network. I have to agree with Abeserra in concluding that the information is stored centrally. Otherwise, they would have to query every wiki to see what your status is in order to display it on Special:UserActivity.

        Loading editor
    • A non-central user database would be kind of stupid. Especially since you only need to log in once to get access to all Fandom wikis as a user. Of course, access doesn't mean you can't be blocked.

        Loading editor
    • Abeserra wrote: I believe that Wikia has a central database for all users. No long time ago, Special:ListUsers was displaying all Wikia users, not just the "local" ones.

      Wikia does have a central database for users, but in their central database only global rights are stored, as Vengir said.

      Andrewds1021 wrote: Otherwise, they would have to query every wiki to see what your status is in order to display it on Special:UserActivity.

      Surprisingly, UserActivity extension actually queries the MediaWiki API on every wiki that is about to get displayed to get local groups of users... Other things are fetched through LookupContribs that queries a table in a central database though. I also just realized it should only display bureaucrat, sysop and chat moderator rights.

        Loading editor
    • Interesting. I assume the list of wikis is in the central database though, correct?

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, it's in specials.events_local_users table (which "sucks in many ways", apparently) it looks like.

        Loading editor
    • macbre should change their user name to macabre.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message