FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for January 30, 2018:

• We will be rolling out an update to the classic rich text editor, primarily to add support for the modern infobox style. However, the update also comes with several other improvements: a button to quickly insert infoboxes, fewer green puzzle pieces (as more types of special code are fully rendered within the editor), and better support for modern browsers (the underlying editor, CKEditor, has been updated to a newer version).
      • Please let us know if you run into problems with this updated editor!
      Loading editor
    • Speaking of Classic Editor, the help page for it has an interlanguage redlink.

Loading editor
    • Looks like Ursuul has commented it out (thanks, Ursuul!)

Loading editor
    • Hope this won't break our existing styles to RTE made with CSS. Otherwise, a great update.

Loading editor
    • Nice update. I mean, the RTE is not the best editor ever, but I like the fact that you are upgrading it a bit.

Loading editor
    • Nice update. However, I don't really use classic editor. I use source mode almost all the time.

Loading editor
    • Nah this broke some css styling I did previously (In the rte buttons so now I'm forced to fix this now)

Loading editor
    • Uptownmath wrote: Nice update. However, I don't really use classic editor. I use source mode almost all the time.

Agreed!

Loading editor
    • Will there be a syntax highlighting? It would highlight links, templates, and others so it would be easy to differentiate from normal text.

Loading editor
    • Now I found it too buggy. Source editor is bugged unless you resize the window and moreover, mini editor is 100% buggy on Oasis, forcing you to use Monobook to post comments and now the page area is too small to see the entire editor rail than before. This needs fixing. And the formatting text also pushes down the redo button a bit. Please fix them all. While some are being going to be patched.

Loading editor
    • I haven't experienced any bugs with source editor...

Loading editor
    • TheGoldenPatrik1 wrote:
      I haven't experienced any bugs with source editor...

Same.

Loading editor
    • Uptownmath wrote:

TheGoldenPatrik1 wrote:

Same.

This only happens in Microsoft Edge browser I use. In Chrome, it plays fine

Loading editor
    • Oh, so it's more your browser than the actual editor?

Loading editor
    • TheGoldenPatrik1 wrote: Oh, so it's more your browser than the actual editor?

Yes and needs to be fixed so as not to conflict any browser that it is in the list

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the reports of issues in Edge - I am reporting those to the technical team immediately.

Loading editor
    • I am not experiencing any issues on IE11. Are you guys talking about the source mode tab in the RTE or the actual source editor (the one you get by setting preferences)?

Loading editor
    • IE11 seems to be generally okay (and doesn't get the classic editor visual mode), but Edge has some clear issues when visual mode is available. We'll get them cleared up.

Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote:

Uptownmath wrote:

TheGoldenPatrik1 wrote:

Same.

This only happens in Microsoft Edge browser I use. In Chrome, it plays fine

Same here. I tested it on both browsers, and issues aren't happening in Chrome, but it is on Microsoft Edge.

Loading editor
    • I've noticed it now uses <s>-Tags instead of <strike>, and is less buggy when formatting multiple table cells.

Thanks for that!

Loading editor
    • Well, I tested the RTE and dang, I like it a bit more now. Glad those annoying green puzzle icons were finally mostly removed. In this old thread, I've had four points on why I hated it, and now, I have two. I like the addition of the infobox button, but if the icon is a WDS icon, can you put it in the FANDOM Design System website? BTW, I think the classic RTE should exist in mobile Oasis (because it doesn't to me) and make it support "complex mode" (TBH, I don't completely understand what is "complex mode").

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote: IE11 seems to be generally okay (and doesn't get the classic editor visual mode), but Edge has some clear issues when visual mode is available. We'll get them cleared up.

However, if I inspect the page and go to emulation tab and set the user agent string to Chrome or Firefox for instance, edge is fine with the editor otherwise it needs fixing.

Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote: However, if I inspect the page and go to emulation tab and set the user agent string to Chrome or Firefox for instance, edge is fine with the editor otherwise it needs fixing.

I've made a note of this - thanks.

Loading editor
    • HM100 wrote:

Kirkburn wrote: IE11 seems to be generally okay (and doesn't get the classic editor visual mode), but Edge has some clear issues when visual mode is available. We'll get them cleared up.

However, if I inspect the page and go to emulation tab and set the user agent string to Chrome or Firefox for instance, edge is fine with the editor otherwise it needs fixing.

I didn't know you could do that in Edge. Good to know.

Loading editor
    • I don't know if this has been addressed already, but the useful ability to use CTRL+L to quickly insert links is now gone in Classic Rich-Text Editor. I suppose this is a bug, as I can't find any valid reason why it should have been removed in the first place.

Also, I have noticed that now switching between CRTE and Source Editor causes the code to rearrange itself however it likes (even more than before) and not leave it as the editor intended or designed. An example is the system automatically adding a blank line above every {{clr}} template used.

In addition, more than a year ago I made a report about the "Add link" wizard not functioning properly; it displays the list of available pages for linking behind the wizard's window (you can read all about it here). I thought I'd take the opportunity and also mention it here in case it could attract someone's attention and finally be fixed.

Loading editor
    • @ LaVey : I'll bring up the link shortcut and line space issues with the team, thanks.

It looks like the 'add link' popup issue was known, but may have dropped off the radar. I'll make a note that that is still happening.

Loading editor
    • That's great to hear and, as always, thank you for the quick reply, Kirkburn.

Regards.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:
      @ LaVey : I'll bring up the link shortcut and line space issues with the team, thanks.

It looks like the 'add link' popup issue was known, but may have dropped off the radar. I'll make a note that that is still happening.

Where? I don't see it.

Loading editor
    • Just another bug I just noticed: the "more +" link in Source Editor is currently not working when editing an already created page. I can confirm it does work on newly created pages, hinting the problem has something to do with the "Minor edit" checkbox that appears to the right of the summary field.

More

Also, regarding what I mentioned earlier about the system adding blank lines, I have also seen it do the contrary, where it actually removes lines, sometimes making two paragraphs merge into a single, big paragraph. In most cases, it happens whenever certain templates are used within articles, whether it adds a blank line above or below them. Templates I've seen this happening so far are: {{for}}, {{clr}}, {{confuse}}.

I will keep reporting if I find anything else.

Loading editor
    • Those do not a ppear to be standard templates. Perhaps if you linked to them that would help. Also, I am not having an issue with the "more +" button. What browser are you using?

Loading editor
    • LaVey wrote: Also, regarding what I mentioned earlier about the system adding blank lines, I have also seen it do the contrary, where it actually removes lines, sometimes making two paragraphs merge into a single, big paragraph. In most cases, it happens whenever certain templates are used within articles, whether it adds a blank line above or below them. Templates I've seen this happening so far are: {{for}}, {{clr}}, {{confuse}}.

I noticed this as well with several templates on the My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Wiki:

It especially affects wikitable code. When switching from the Classic Editor to the Source Editor in the editing window, key portions of code get inexplicably removed, and the table formatting is completely broken.

iGCwZGE.png

I reported as much to a local admin:

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Bobogoobo#Wikitable/template_issues

I've had this happen in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but not Internet Explorer. Setting one's preferred editor to "Source editor" through Special:Preferences fixes the issue, but it disables use of the Classic Editor.

Loading editor
    • Interesting. Aside from the quote template, nothing looks anywhere near suspect. I remember a long while ago, there was a similar issue with even the source editor inserting lines after <br />; though I doubt the cause is similar.

Loading editor
    • Adding/removing line spaces is not intended - I've got a bug ticket open about this, and please do send examples into Special:Contact/bug, as it will help us review and investigate them!

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Those do not a ppear to be standard templates. Perhaps if you linked to them that would help. Also, I am not having an issue with the "more +" button. What browser are you using?

I believe {{for}} and {{clr}} are standard templates. The "More +" problem happens in both Chrome and Firefox, but as I mentioned, only in already created pages, the issue doesn't appear in newly created ones.

Loading editor
    • My bad on the templates. You are correct, they are standard. However, Kirkburn has already commented on the issue. As for "More +", I still cannot reproduce the error you are describing.

Edit:

A new technical update thread has been psoted that addresses some of these issues.

Thread:1388188

Loading editor
    • hey kirkburn, 

As regards to the new upgrades, I see you can alter templates now while in the mode. Improvements. I've been wondering when you would do that.

Loading editor
    • Excellent! I hope VE is also getting attentions of the dev team soon. 

Loading editor
    • Yeah. VisualEditor is cool, but pretty buggy, and it deserves to be fixed.

Loading editor
    • @JustLeafy

I mainly use VE, but have to sometimes switch to CE for better previewing and source editing, I'm not familiar the wiki technical staff but I wonder if there's a possiblity to merge all goodies of the two into a mighter one editor :-)

Loading editor
    • ^ I mainly use the source editor too now, and I occasionally use the VisualEditor in certain cases. To me, it could be useful to take an easier look of the image of the content to describe its detailed appearance or something like that, or sometimes, I would use it to generate infoboxes or templates with various parameters. In the rest of cases, I use the source editor. I also wish there was better access to all 3 editors, like with one button, there should be the ability to switch to the RTE or the classic source editor.

Loading editor
    • First off, are you talking about RTE or SE? Second, I doubt it would be possible to literally combine the editors. However, I could see them adding CE-like features to VE.

I presume you mean while you are editing? Otherwise, you can just make the selection from a page's edit menu. I would imagine it would work similar to how RTE and VE have source modes. Essentially, you would have VE with rich-text and source modes but wouldn't really be changing editors.

Loading editor
    • Siblings of .cke_button_big need to be updated. For the table and infobox buttons, they were updated. For the others, they were missed.

• .cke_label -> .cke_button_label
      • .cke_icon -> .cke_button_icon

The old popover modals also ought to be updated. Among other things, they aggressively violate the principle that "tables should be used for data, not design".

Loading editor
    • Might be a better idea to put this in one of the newer threads. Also, which buttons does this affect?

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message