FANDOM

• I happened to notice yesterday that a number (perhaps all) videos I use that came from the library now show as "Invalid Authorization Response" (example). I tried Google searching for the library earlier and was redirected to fandom.wikia.com from video.wikia.com. So, do these videos exist anywhere anymore or should I just delete them? Kinda a bummer not to have the licensed videos.

Loading editor
    • Hi DEmersonJMFM, 

Correct, the video library is deprecated and they no longer exist on our system. 

Loading editor
    • Is there a way to easily find these broken videos for cleanup?

Loading editor
    • Tupka217, 

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. 

Loading editor
    • Most if not all our videos are Library anyway. Can you list extensions with dpl?

Loading editor
    • Yes, you can definitely have DPL look for certain file extensions. Below is an example I happen to have due to Thread:1380294.

User:Andrewds1021/Random_Image_Gallery

Loading editor
    • Thanks.

Oh wait, videos don't have file extensions, do they?

Loading editor
    • Here I thought these videos were safe/stable to use and wouldn't be deleted.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote: Thanks.

Oh wait, videos don't have file extensions, do they?

I am not sure as I haven't uploaded any videos. For sure the files themselves to but I suppose the way MediaWiki stores them could change that. You could always use DPL to search not titles in the file namespace that don't have an extension.

Loading editor
    • Why did you decide to remove the video library?

Loading editor
    • Oh, the video library being removed also affected the Fandom University videos on the help page. You'll need to fix those missing videos.

Loading editor
    • Matthew, 

Yep! We're working on them (albeit slowly).

Loading editor
    • When did the library become depreciated? Did we get or were we going to be notified about this?

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote:
      When did the library become depreciated? Did we get or were we going to be notified about this?

You could always email the staff at Special:Contact/general in order to discuss this if you were a user of that site though as I've been told staff don't usually provide a reasoning due to it being a private thing. Though it doesn't hurt to try getting an answer through the special contact page.

Loading editor
    • DJEmersonJMFM, 

We deprecated video.wikia.com in January. Because usage was so low we elected not to post about it - and I am sorry that this is impacting you and your wiki. 

Loading editor
    • User:WikiaBot is the account that uploaded the Wikia Video Library videos to Acepedia, so for anyone who might be looking for all videos that were added by the library, maybe Special:Contributions/WikiaBot (filtered by the File namespace) would be a good place to check.

Also, to whomever FANDOM staff this may concern, Special:WikiaVideoAdd still mentions the Video Library. (Also, Special:WikiaVideoAdd has not worked for replacing videos already uploaded for months, I've had to manually delete, upload, and rename instead.)

Loading editor
    • Jenburton wrote:
      DJEmersonJMFM, 

We deprecated video.wikia.com in January. Because usage was so low we elected not to post about it - and I am sorry that this is impacting you and your wiki. 

Just out of interest was this last January or this January in 2018? Could this be clarified for other users.

Loading editor
    • OmgaDOS, 

It was this month (Jan 2018). 

SlyCooperFan1 - I'll have someone take a look at that special page. 

Loading editor
    • What was the whole point of removing the Fandom Video Library?

Loading editor
    • Matthew, 

As mentioned above, the library was not getting enough use for us to justify continuing to support it. 

Loading editor
    • If a feature is not used much, it sometimes isn't worth taking up server resources and/or employee efforts to maintain compatibility with modernizations. At least, I suspect that is the reason.

Loading editor
    • Few questions. What happens to the videos that are already being used on wikis? They seem to function as of now, but will they stay that way? Also, most of the anime from Crunchyroll had a license expiration of year 9998, if the videos stay will there be an alternate way of getting more episodes from them for use on wikis?

Loading editor
    • What happens to the videos that are already being used on wikis? They seem to function as of now, but will they stay that way?

They were embedded onto your wiki through the Video Library. While the library has been deprecated, the embeds should still function as long as the video source hasn't been deleted. In my example, most of my wiki's videos that came from the Video Library come from IGN, so those will still work as long as IGN keeps them online. The same will go for your videos and whatever source they come from.

most of the anime from Crunchyroll had a license expiration of year 9998, if the videos stay will there be an alternate way of getting more episodes from them for use on wikis?

According to Help:Video Embed Tool#Supported sites, Crunchyroll is not supported by the Video Embed Tool, so Crunchyroll may no longer be available for us to embed through there.

Loading editor
    • In my case, 31 of 32 videos no longer worked and had to be deleted (the one is an Ign video).

@Jenburton - I still think the depreciation could have easily been mentioned on one of the technical updates so Admins woulda been aware and didn't have to rely on stumbling on it themselves.

I first reported the inability to use "Replace" in March 2016. I would love to see it fixed as it saves a lot of steps for a number of videos.

Loading editor
    • Matthew Cenance wrote:
      What was the whole point of removing the Fandom Video Library?

The good thing is YouTube is still supported, so what your community can do to post videos for the wiki is to use YouTube or another video hosting site. I use YouTube because it allows us to upload 60fps videos thanks to that being implemented back in 2014.

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote: When did the library become depreciated? Did we get or were we going to be notified about this?

I noticed the pull request for it in December (even though the pull request itself seems to have been made in November). I expected Staff to post something about it, though.

Loading editor
    • Totally agree that we missed the boat on communicating this change broadly. 

Loading editor
    • Jenburton wrote:
      Totally agree that we missed the boat on communicating this change broadly. 

Maybe its something the staff should remember doing if some users are interested in a project. I thought it was common practice to debate a site closure or post a general closure notice in advance on the community central site and on the site in question so that anyone can read it.

Loading editor
    • That is exactly what Jenburton meant in the statement you quoted.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      That is exactly what Jenburton meant in the statement you quoted.

I wasn't aware of that, but thanks for clarifying it.

Loading editor
    • Will you give me a link?

Loading editor
    • To what?

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      To what?

Wikia video library

Loading editor
    • PictureField55, the point of this thread is that the Wikia Video Library has been deprecated, meaning it is no longer available.

Loading editor
    • ok, and your right.

Loading editor
    • Just a head's up to those who are looking to clean up their wikis: in some cases, you can still find a file description page and see what's linking to it so that you may appropriately remove the embed from an article. In other cases, it appears that there is no trace of the video ever appearing on the wiki.

Here's an example on Muppet Wiki: this old version of the Muppets Most Wanted article shows a number of dead video embeds. On almost all of them, the corresponding file description page contains no trace of its existence: no history, no uploader, no upload or deletion log, nothing.

I was able to find a couple on Special:WantedFiles, but only two were listed there compared to the number of dead embeds on the Muppets Most Wanted article. I have no idea how many more there are out there, but fortunately, this is a "feature" we at Muppet Wiki resisted from the beginning for this very reason, so I suspect we shouldn't have too many.

Due to Wikia's lack of communication on removing this piece of content for our wikis, it appears that the best we can do is look around our wikis and hope to happen upon them by chance. A difficult task when one considers the size of some wikis (Muppet Wiki has over 32,000 pages).

Loading editor
    • In my case I used the DeadVideos script to located all the ones I missed, those that weren't added through my featured video template. It also displays a list of non-Youtube videos I checked manually.

Loading editor
    • I've also used DeadVideos in the past, but it's only ever produced a list of YouTube videos for me. It doesn't catch Vimeo or DailyMotion, so I assumed it wouldn't catch Wikia videos either.

Also, I would expect it would only work when file description pages exist. Which, in this case, they don't.

Loading editor
    • It does indeed catch Vimeo, Dailymotion, IGN, etc videos now (from what I remember it has since I first used it a few years ago). No idea if it requires a description page to find them, but I'd say it's at least worth a shot.

Loading editor
    • Here's the discussion where the codewriter explained to me that it wouldn't catch non-YouTube videos: Thread:1271641.

All said, it worked very well for me, but I don't think it's going to be useful in cleaning up the Wikia Video Library mess.

Loading editor
    • That's a different script from the one linked above, I think.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, different scripts.

Loading editor
    • Ah, I see. From what I understand, installing a new script on a wiki requires an approval process, no?

I wonder though, how is it going to find file description pages that don't exist?

Loading editor
    • I just used it personally on the wiki and nothing appears so I guess not. Are these videos showing up on current versions of any articles?

Loading editor
    • Just the one I linked above so far, which I've since removed.

Loading editor
    • Ah, the script didn't work for me 'cause it appears that the wiki has no category system for videos (the default "Videos" category isn't added to videos or is removed).

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote:
      Ah, the script didn't work for me 'cause it appears that the wiki has no category system for videos (the default "Videos" category isn't added to videos or is removed).

Thats ok, you need to check more.

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote: Ah, the script didn't work for me 'cause it appears that the wiki has no category system for videos (the default "Videos" category isn't added to videos or is removed).

I've made some changes to the way we categorize videos on w:c:muppet, so I'm ready to give this another try....

DEmersonJMFM wrote: In my case I used the DeadVideos script to located all the ones I missed, those that weren't added through my featured video template. It also displays a list of non-Youtube videos I checked manually.

If I wanted to run this just from my personal space on another wiki, how would I do that? I don't see a description page associated with this code like the one on dev. Do I place the code on a subpage of my user page like User:Scarecroe/DeadVideos.js ? or does it need to be a subpage of Common.js ?

Also, how will I know it's working? The script on dev produces a button on Special:Videos... does this work the same?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Loading editor
    • That's great; categories for everything help a lot.

As for the script, there's no need to copy the script from the source. I'd suggest not doing so so it'll be updated if it has bugs or whatnot. All you need to do is add to the wiki's Wikia.js or your Global.js:

// *********************************************************
      // Dead Videos via Special:BlankPage?blankspecial=deadvideos
      // *********************************************************

if (
        mw.config.get('wgPageName') === 'Special:BlankPage' &&
        mw.util.getParamValue('blankspecial') === 'deadvideos'
      ) {
          window.deadVideosCategories = ['Videos'];

importArticle({
              type: 'script',
              article: [
                  'w:c:mlp:MediaWiki:Common.js/DeadVideos.js'
              ]
          });
      }

"Videos" is the category you wanna target. To use it, add "Special:BlankPage?blankspecial=deadvideos" after "wiki/" in the URL. If you use it site-wide, it's a good idea to post the link somewhere others can access it easily.

Two lists are generated, usually after five seconds or so: Dead videos (videos to delete) and Non-YouTube videos (videos you'll need to check manually to determine if they haven't been deleted).

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote: ...and Non-YouTube videos (videos you'll need to check manually to determine if they haven't been deleted).

Ah, I see. So really, the only difference between this and w:c:dev:Deadvideo is that this sorts by video host. Neither script will find dead videos on Vimeo or Dailymotion, they need to be checked manually.

Loading editor
    • Just started using this and wanted to say thanks. It definitely seems to work better than the script at Dev.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message