FANDOM

• Was that removed, or have I toggled a setting somewhere?

Loading editor
    • It was removed because it was showing very outdated data and probably because Staff are cleaning up Special:ListUsers as well.

Loading editor
    • Staff moveod on to other things and lead to a lack of development. Thus bugs arose and made it completely useless.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for the replies. Must have missed the post mentioning it!

Loading editor
    • Was there a Fandom staff post mentioning it?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:
      Was there a Fandom staff post mentioning it?

Yeah, User blog:DaNASCAT/Technical Update: October 2, 2017

Loading editor
    • Are there any plans for a fixed version or is it just gone?

Loading editor
    • Interesting... I swear the column was there for at least a month after that announcement. I guess that's why it surprised me more that it disappeared.

Loading editor
    • From the post, It would appear the feature is completely gone. Privacy's sake. There is no need to (publicly) record the most recent time someone logs into a wiki.

Loading editor
    • That was not the impression I got. Plus, if you want privacy, stay off the internet.

Loading editor
    • Well, its probably a bunch of reasons, with the biggest reasons beingĀ "bugs" and "lack of development due to other projects".

Loading editor
    • MechQueste wrote:

Well, its probably a bunch of reasons, with the biggest reasons beingĀ "bugs" and "lack of development due to other projects".

Which is the reason Fandom gives like 95% of the time.

Loading editor
    • There were a couple of reasons for the removal, but the primary reasons were: it has never worked very reliably (it was not a 'last active' timestamp, it was a 'last triggered an unreliable login-related event' timestamp), and there were some legitimate privacy concerns around it (especially since there was no 'choose to be invisible' ability).

That's not to say we can't see how it could be useful - but the above concerns outweighed the benefits of keeping it.

Loading editor
    • Except now it is harder to tell if a wiki as "active" admin.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Except now it is harder to tell if a wiki as "active" admin.

Just look at the person's contributions and logs.

Loading editor
    • MechQueste wrote:

Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Except now it is harder to tell if a wiki as "active" admin.

Just look at the person's contributions and logs.

If there are many admins, this is extremely painful.

Loading editor
    • Kirkburn wrote:

There were a couple of reasons for the removal, but the primary reasons were: it has never worked very reliably (it was not a 'last active' timestamp, it was a 'last triggered an unreliable login-related event' timestamp), and there were some legitimate privacy concerns around it (especially since there was no 'choose to be invisible' ability).

That's not to say we can't see how it could be useful - but the above concerns outweighed the benefits of keeping it.

Is there a 'choose to hide my edits' ability? The privacy angle seem weak. I would be much more concerned about my edits than my logins.

Can you think of another way that is nearly as easy to determine active or semi-active admins on a wiki?

Loading editor
    • Edits are public activity, but logging into your account and checking your notifications is not a public activity. As mentioned earlier, it wasn't a reliable indicator in the first place, especially if someone stayed continuously logged in (since they might have a 'last active' timestamp that was months before their 'last edited' one).

Loading editor
    • Oh a side note, is there a reason why someone can't see the global edits of another person?

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: If there are many admins, this is extremely painful.

Can't one just sort Special:ListAdmins by last edited column?

Loading editor
    • MechQueste wrote: Oh a side note, is there a reason why someone can't see the global edits of another person?

It's a relatively expensive process, and some (milder) privacy concerns come into play here too.

Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:

Fandyllic wrote: If there are many admins, this is extremely painful.

Can't one just sort Special:ListAdmins by last edited column?

We sort of talked about this earlier. Last edited has no correlation to whether an admin is active elsewhere on a dead wiki. Also, since Kirkburn was asked, there really isn't another way of seeing edits globally for a user.

Loading editor
    • The reason this came up for me is because an anti-Wikia user claimed on reddit that it was the site's policy to log people out regularly so that they were forced to see ads and re-login. Other than just telling them that they were mistaken (I'm pretty sure I've been logged in for years now), I wanted some hard proof to back up my assertion and hence I had searched for the Last Logged In info.

No matter, that discussion has passed.

Loading editor
    • And now you can't do it.

Loading editor
    • Haldarn wrote: The reason this came up for me is because an anti-Wikia user claimed on reddit that it was the site's policy to log people out regularly so that they were forced to see ads and re-login. Other than just telling them that they were mistaken (I'm pretty sure I've been logged in for years now), I wanted some hard proof to back up my assertion and hence I had searched for the Last Logged In info.

I just want to confirm: no there's no sinister plot to cause people to log out. When that does happen, it's generally due to a bug. I do realise that's harder to prove without this info being shown, but it wouldn't make much sense anyway since the effect on ad views would be tiny.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message