FANDOM

• Might be in the wrong board, I guess it depends on how easy it is to change this. There's probably a button somewhere.

On most large wikis I see, I notice that the namespaces searched by default do not include blog posts, among other things. Since I don't actually care in the slightest about if someone's written my search keyword somewhere in a 3 year old blog, this makes sense.

This doesn't appear to be the default though, and this is pretty problematic for some wikis, especially ones that don't necessarily have an entire page dedicated to what I'm looking for. If I want to search the Pokémon Brick Bronze wiki for any reference to Mewtwo, I get 70 blogs that have the word "Mewtwo" in them, and have to go into advanced settings, untick everything except the main namespace, and search again (finding that actually Mewtwo hasn't been added yet). The vast majority of visitors won't know to do this, and wanting to search through blog posts that're mostly several years old is a ridiculously obscure edge case anyway.

I'm not an admin on the Brick Bronze wiki, or any wiki that I contribute to, though I would like to know how/where to change the default search namespaces so I can push the admins to fix them. Any help would be appreciated.

Loading editor
    • On which wikis do you see namespaces searched by default not including blog posts? Every time I visit Special:Search on any wiki they contain all namespaces...

Edit: Not unless you click "Articles" in the sidebar, at least.

Loading editor
    • You have the "Search all namespaces by default" preference ticked in the under the hood section of the preferences.

Loading editor
    • Oh, true. I still see blog posts being searched by default on every wiki that has blog posts enabled after disabling that preference, though.

Loading editor
    • Try the pokemon wiki.

Loading editor
    • Interesting. I've never seen that happen but it looks like Staff can change it by changing the $wgNamespacesToBeSearchedDefault variable for your wiki. Maybe that variable is changed whenever a community gets a Community App. What other wikis have you seen that happen?

Loading editor
    • There doesn't appear to be a pattern.

Minecraft Wikia, Fallout Wiki, Animal Crossing Wiki - as you'd expect, the larger wikis on mainstream topics have custom namespace searching. Whilst this could be due to them being larger, mainstream topics, some comparatively tiny wikis also have default namespace searching changed, such as both of the Apocalypse Rising wikis (here and here) - they're (fairly old) wikis about a game on Roblox, with 200 and 375 articles respectively.

I haven't a clue how to check if a wiki's got it's own community app or not, but if fixing your default search settings was a side effect of getting a community app (or some other official recognition of importance and quality from Wikia Staff), then you'd expect the Roblox Wiki to have got this before smaller wikis on topics within Roblox itself did.

Loading editor
    • You can change it in your preferences.

Loading editor
    • I believe Staff would be able to provide a better answer how are namespaces searched by default being chosen as I can't find it anywhere in the code.

Loading editor
    • Uptownmath wrote: You can change it in your preferences.

Where? All I can find is the "Search all namespaces by default." option. I don't want to do that, nor do I want to search the default set of namespaces, which contains blog posts on all the wikis I edit. I want my default to only search the Main namespace.

KockaAdmiralac wrote: I believe Staff would be able to provide a better answer how are namespaces searched by default being chosen as I can't find it anywhere in the code.

Ok, so do I just wait for a staff member to show up in this thread, or will I need to contact one more directly?

Loading editor
    • You should use Special:Contact/general to contact them.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message