FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for February 8, 2018:

• We will fix several issues with the classic rich text editor:
      • An issue that prevented some templates from being added to pages.
      • An issue where the <staff/> tag could cause line breaks to be added to the wikitext.
      • An issue where some ways of writing templates could cause duplicate template contents to be substituted into the wikitext.
      Loading editor
    • Gotta fix those <staff/> tag bugs! ;-)

But seriously, those template fixes sound great.

Loading editor
    • Navbox seems to break RTE (force-switch to SE), there was no such issue before, try this simple page , delete {{Navbox companion}} and RTE can render it again.

Loading editor
    • Islandking wrote: Navbox seems to break RTE (force-switch to SE), there was no such issue before, try this simple page , delete {{Navbox companion}} and RTE can render it again.

We have been tweaking the source fallback rules a bit to avoid issues where the visual mode would break wikitext, though we're trying to avoid that (not much point in a visual mode that's never available!). Islandking, could you possibly send in a Special:Contact/bug message about that one?

Loading editor
    • Sent.

A question: I haven't seen any green puzzle boxes since the updates, are they all gone? If that's the custom template class that breaks the visual mode (like the navbox above), would it be better to animate the green ones to represent the customized only to prevent the force-switching?

Loading editor
    • It's rarer than before, but there are still situations where a green puzzle piece appears, such as when a template contains unbalanced tags (e.g. opens but does not close a div).

Loading editor
    • Honestly, I'm very glad that these green puzzle pieces are becoming rarer and rarer to the point that they feel like they are almost non-existent. They were very annoying.

Loading editor
    • Who uses classic text rich editor? I don't :D

Loading editor
    • I don't, either. I prefer the VisualEditor over it. I'm glad it's improved, but it's still my least favorite editor.

Loading editor
    • VisualEditor is my least favorite editor... it's so slow!

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: VisualEditor is my least favorite editor... it's so slow!

I'm rather neutral about VE and CK/Source Editor.

Loading editor
    • Okay, I understand you Fandyllic, but that's my opinion.

Loading editor
    • Your preference is completely legit... I just value speed over the VE features. My main beef is how slow it is to load. If they get it to load everything except the preview/edit box part faster, I may use it more.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Your preference is completely legit... I just value speed over the VE features. My main beef is how slow it is to load. If they get it to load everything except the preview/edit box part faster, I may use it more.

I agree. Besides I have Preview to see what the page would look like, if I were to publish it. So Source Editor does trump Visual Editor in my book as well.

Loading editor
    • Visual editor is decent. It is just clunky and kind of slow to slow to use. If it was useful like the WMF visual editor (which is nice and fast), it would get used more. 

Loading editor
    • Source will be faster in many ways if you know the syntax already. For the newcomers, VE might be a better choice.

Loading editor
    • It looks like adding new pages when editing in Classic editor now defaults to Source only initial editing (claiming that complex code is present when there is none), causing problems for users not accustomed to editing in Source mode.

The problem seems to go away after the page is saved, and can then be seen and edited in both Source and Visual mode.

Any fix for that?

Loading editor
    • Tarna wrote:

It looks like adding new pages when editing in Classic editor now defaults to Source only initial editing (claiming that complex code is present when there is none), causing problems for users not accustomed to editing in Source mode.

The problem seems to go away after the page is saved, and can then be seen and edited in both Source and Visual mode.

Any fix for that?

Report this problem to Fandom staff via Special:Contact/bug. They control this functionality. Someone clever may have a workaround, but it's still a bug.

Loading editor
    • I sent a bug report.  Waiting for the reply.

The current, non-elegant workaround is to save the page with just the title, and then go back in to edit (at which point Visual mode is available).

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message