FANDOM

• Hello. I've been contributing to a Wikia for a Japanese Mobile Game recently released. Now it has come to my attention that Assets uploaded to the Wikia are actually being taken and uploaded by a group to their Facebook page. (I found that out due to a rather horrible little Edit i made on an uploaded picture being present on the one they uploaded.)

Now my question is: How far exactly does the content you can 'Copyright' go? Can you claim Copyright for a picture from a Game you took and uploaded even if theres almost no editing done to it? and are you allowed to upload pictures with a faint Watermark to identify wether or not the picture was taken by others to reupload it somewhere else without providing a source?

It's a rather difficult question to me since technically we own no rights to the content shown on the picture, but we did sometimes spend time achieving something in the Game to get that picture unlocked.

Loading editor
    • Well, I believe Wikia's license, which you accept by using their services, allows others to reuse your work so long as reasonable credit is given. So you don't really have any copyright claim.

Loading editor
    • Okay but still, would it be allowed to put a faint Watermark on a picture to identify wether or not it was taken from the Wikia or not?

Loading editor
    • You could achieve the same effect by adding file descriptions to the image pages. That way, any backsearching on Google Images flags your image as the #1 result.

Loading editor
    • Putting tags on an Image page is not achieving the required effect. We want to be able to identify WHO reuploads content from the Wikia elsewhere without providing the source, not become the Top Result on Google. It was bad enough that the heavily WIP Wikia was found by people on Google and we had to spend time reversing countless edits people made that broke the Coding.

Loading editor
    • Yes, you can put water mark. It is just that others will still be able to reuse the content if they wish.

Loading editor
    • Alright, thanks Andrewds1021

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message