FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for February 13, 2018:

• BUGFIX: We will fix a situation where the classic rich text editor could introduce a line break in the middle of a line after a reference tag.
    • NOTABLE: We will be retiring the 'poweruser' account status, which had not actively been used for some time.
      Loading editor
    • Since the power user group didn't come with any additional abilities, and was merely just a title, I won't be missing it's removal very much. I'm unaffected in other words.

Loading editor
    • I never knew what 'poweruser' was supposed to mean so I'm not really affected either.

Loading editor
    • Awesome, glad to see the random <br /> issue is being fixed.

Loading editor
    • iirc the reason why no one noticed it was because it was used internally, so only staff would see its effects

Loading editor
    • "poweruser"; a resume stuffer. You are sad to see it go because a part of your ego goes with it.

Edit:

By the way, note the display issues in the breadcrumbs for this thread.

Loading editor
    • I was wondering when will this be removed.

Since the group was retired, I think i can ask a few pertinent questions.

What "internal use" was it employed? What were the criteria to be considered?

Loading editor
    • It appears we had the same idea; but you beat me to it. I still added some more which is actually relevant to one of your questions.

Edit:

There is a little more detail here.

@C.Syde65

Okay, though I don't really see what difference it (updating the page now versus later) makes. It is less than 24 hours away.

@Ursuul

If you are reading this thread, it should actually be an interwiki link so that it works properly on other wikis.

Loading editor
    • oh and I forgot to say, I have updated Help:User Rights.

Loading editor
    • and now its completely removed

Loading editor
    • @C.Syde65

Personally, I think it should stay on the help page.

Loading editor
    • RIP powerusers.

Loading editor
    • Hey, I'm not dead yet. I just don't have the title behind my name on the userlist. As far as what exactly the power user tag did - every time I asked Staff, I got a different answer...usually, it involved some mumbo-jumbo about multiple pages/wikis edited at once, server loads, and/or users of particular code or pages. Honestly, I think it was probably just a not-so-secret tag that meant: "This person likes to play with the tools and occasionally does annoying things that may slow/break the software/servers. They may or may not be able to fix the problem and/or suggest/create a temporary workaround if they do break something. They're not malicious, and they will usually report any bugs that they find. We may need to put them on the server(s) with more bandwidth so that they don't bog down the rest of the farm."

Loading editor
    • Well, as indicated by the discussion I linked to in #8, at least at one point, it was based on edit rate. How many edits have you made in the past two months?

Loading editor
    • Now that rank is gone...

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      @Ursuul

If you are reading this thread, it should actually be an interwiki link so that it works properly on other wikis.
      Ah good point, sorry I missed that, although it should not be an external link. There’s a [[homepage:w: method or some such.
        Loading editor
    • The poweruser right was mostly just a data gathering tool - we applied it to accounts that had a certain level of activity, and worked out some statistics based on that. We'd not been updating this account status for quite a long time and we have better data tools now, so it was time to retire it.

Loading editor
    • Note: We've no special release notes for tomorrow's release (Wednesday), so no new Technical Update post today.

Loading editor
    • The "poweruser" group was really misleadingly named. I'm glad it's going away.

Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:

Andrewds1021 wrote:
      @Ursuul

Ah good point, sorry I missed that, although it should not be an external link. There’s a [[homepage:w: method or some such.

I believe [[w:Thread:1395149]] would have worked.

Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote:

<a href="/wiki/Help:Improving_help_pages#Using_links_in_Shared_Help" title="Help:Improving help pages">Help:Improving help pages#Using links in Shared Help</a>

Interesting. I was not aware of that.

Loading editor
    • RTE is still broken. E.g., on http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Purge?action=edit, without doing anything, "show changes" shows breaking changes (can be much worse on some pages).

Loading editor
    • @がか : thanks, we'll look into it.

Loading editor
    • It is now fixed for that particular page (Help:Purge); however, I mentioned about it being much worse on some other pages, so, for example, on http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_2018_Event/E-2?action=edit (and other pages on that wiki) it is still unusable, with RTE diff and preview functions already show broken page without doing anything. It causes a lot of trouble right now (as we have a seasonal spike in activity), because

• RTE is default for anonymous users.
      • It is default for new users (given that the preference page says "On this wiki, the default editor is always the classic editor.").
      • It is still default (for action=edit) when VisualEditor is selected in preferences.
      • Yet it is unusable, so the only safe option right now is source editor, but since we can't enforce it, many edits end up breaking pages (people asking if we can have something like "On this wiki, the default editor is always the source editor.").
        Loading editor
    • To your first two bullets, I don't know how your wiki does it but most wikis default to VisualEditor/Infobox Builder; then RTE, then source. I am guessing your wiki has some custom feature enabled. If you find out what it is, you may be able to have it disabled. Frankly, there are a number of wikis that would be jealous of your situation; they want to force users to use the classic editor.

To your third bullet, that is doing exactly what it is supposed to; action=edit always triggers the classic editor while veaction=edit is what triggers VisualEditor.

To your fourth bullet, if you figure out how the previously mentioned custom feature works, perhaps you could set it to source specifically.

Loading editor
    • Well, when source editor is selected in preferences, action=edit (edit button) uses source editor, not VE or RTE. With VE or RTE selected it is RTE for action=edit (and veaction=edit (visual edit button) is always available for VE).

Loading editor
    • がか wrote: Well, when source editor is selected in preferences, action=edit (edit button) uses source editor, not VE or RTE. With VE or RTE selected it is RTE for action=edit (and veaction=edit (visual edit button) is always available for VE).

Yes, that is exactly how it is supposed to work.

Loading editor
    • Btw, on kancolle.wikia.com it is also different (from, e.g., community.wikia.com) in the following way: regardless of which editor is selected in preferences, default button is always "Edit" leading to action=edit, while button in the drop down menu is always "VisualEditor" leading to veaction=edit. So "VisualEditor" (veaction=edit) is always the same, while for "Edit" (action=edit) it is:

• Source editor (classic editor without visual mode) when it is selected in preferences. Response on action=edit has plain wikitext, no problems here.
      • RTE (classic editor with visual mode) when it is selected in preferences. Response has HTML converted from original wikitext, and since HTML -> wikitext is broken, diff, preview, and push give bad results (broken pages).
      • Still RTE when VisualEditor is selected in preferences.

I changed "classic editor" to "RTE" in my previous post, since I was confused with this terminology. So the point was, it is RTE, not source editor, even though source editor works and RTE don't

Loading editor
    • Like I said, this sounds like something unique to your wiki. As far as I know, this behavior is not typical. I visited kancolle via the link in one of your previous posts. Whatever is doing this isn't site-level JS; I tried usesitejs=0 and there was no change. If you do figure out how this is done, would you mind letting me know? I have a wiki with Semantic Forms and I want to set "edit with form" as the default; but Wikia said they couldn't do that. (Although the contact person claims that they will allow me to use some custom JS for that purpose.)

Loading editor
    • The only difference I see is that if you select VE you will get VE for "Edit" button and "Classical editor" in the drop down menu. Which is not important. For the main problem, looking at http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/User:がか/Test2 and http://dev.wikia.com/wiki/User:がか/Test3, looks like it doesn't like divs inside spans (which is understandable, but still a problem as to why doing no changes gives breaking changes to wikitext).

Update: not using divs inside spans (internally in popular templates) fixes it, so I can't complain anymore right now :D

Loading editor
    • To clarify, I am not saying that the div inside span thing is not a true issue; it is. I was just trying to address your points specifically about which editor is used by default. Since the issue appeared to be only with RTE, it seemed to me that removing classic editor as the forced default was an immediate solution.

Loading editor
    • Block elements inside inside inline elements shouldn't really work anyways.

Loading editor
    • Then perhaps Tooltips should be changed.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message