FANDOM


  • Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for March 8, 2018:

    Updated mobile font

    The new font in action on The Lost Mattress page on Encyclopedia SpongeBobia.

    • NOTABLE: We will be updating the mobile web layout to use a new font, matching the font used in the FANDOM app (Rubik). Note that this update does not currently affect Discussions or community apps.
    • NOTABLE: In preparation for eventual HTTPS migration, we are running a script to update custom CSS to reference HTTPS versions of images (rather than HTTP versions).
    • BUGFIX: We will fix an issue where some wide tables could not be horizontally scrolled on the mobile layout.
      Loading editor
    • What type of font is this? This looks fitting.

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Previous mobile font March 2018

      The old font on The Lost Mattress page on Encyclopedia SpongeBobia

      For those who, like me, are suckers for before-and-after stuff, on the right is what the mobile web layout looks like right now. Biggest obvious change is that the new layout is more compact, both vertically and horizontally, allowing for more stuff to show on screen at once. I'm always a fan of that.

      Standardizing the font displayed on mobile between the products is always important, and I'm really liking how the new font looks on wiki articles. Glad to see it :)

        Loading editor
    • Actually, I think that difference is mostly down to how I took the screenshot - this change shouldn't have a significant effect on how compact the layout is. (That said, we are aware of some general concerns about space usage on the current mobile layout.)

        Loading editor
    • I can't tall why, but when I compared another paragraph in another article on another wiki, the mobile version was a little bit shorter (about 10.2 lines) than the app version (about 10.8 lines). So if there is actually going to be some impact when it comes to the article length, I'm not sure it is going to go down.

        Loading editor
    • The font looks pretty neat, plus it matches the FANDOM site! 👍

      One thing though: does this portend a desktop font standardization as well? The current default font for wikis is Helvetica, but is changing it to Rubik something that's being considered?

        Loading editor
    • Banarama wrote:

      One thing though: does this portend a desktop font standardization as well? The current default font for wikis is Helvetica, but is changing it to Rubik something that's being considered?

      Hadn't thought of this. Fandom's editorial articles do, in fact, use Rubik on desktop as well.

        Loading editor
    • The only value I see in this font change is that it matches the FANDOM editorials. Compared to the old version, this new font is much less clean & professional, it looks starkly out of place with the sterilized Mercury layout & I see it as a slight downgrade. It’s for reasons like this that I would like the ability to specify certain things about the Mercury skin via ThemeDesigner or local CSS, because it not only is out of place in a microcosm, but it furthers the stark divide between desktop & mobile layout. There is no consistency, I can go from a sleek black skin with professional font to a sterile blue & white mobile layout with a “trendy” out of touch font, it’s like viewing two different websites.

      At least before the Mercury font was pretty similar if not identical to the default desktop font, but now I’m really wishing we could have the ability to revert this font change locally.

        Loading editor
    • For sake of consistency I think the desktop version needs a new font too... but not Rubik.

      Roboto looks better.

        Loading editor
    • GiveMeCovfefe wrote: For sake of consistency I think the desktop version needs a new font too... but not Rubik.

      Roboto looks better.

      Or Arial Nova. A better recreation of Arial font with lighter weights available

        Loading editor
    • anything better than Rubik

        Loading editor
    • New font looks nice.

        Loading editor
    • You can always change the font in your personal CSS.

        Loading editor
    • Not in mobile skins

        Loading editor
    • I meant for the desktop change everyone wants to know about.

        Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote: The only value I see in this font change is that it matches the FANDOM editorials. Compared to the old version, this new font is much less clean & professional, it looks starkly out of place with the sterilized Mercury layout & I see it as a slight downgrade. It’s for reasons like this that I would like the ability to specify certain things about the Mercury skin via ThemeDesigner or local CSS, because it not only is out of place in a microcosm, but it furthers the stark divide between desktop & mobile layout. There is no consistency, I can go from a sleek black skin with professional font to a sterile blue & white mobile layout with a “trendy” out of touch font, it’s like viewing two different websites.

      At least before the Mercury font was pretty similar if not identical to the default desktop font, but now I’m really wishing we could have the ability to revert this font change locally.

      Agreed here to some extent. It is very dull to go from wiki to wiki and have everything look the same. Since mercury isn't something that just shows fandom articles, for example, the consistency seems just a little unnecessary when most wikis are going to look very different from each other in oasis or even monobook (which is cool). It would be very nice to have some customization to make things less same-y.

      (#bringbackwikiamobile)

        Loading editor
    • Honestly, I don't love Rubik, but having a font other than Helvetica is definitely a step in the right direction by FANDOM to further their brand since the Mercury layout is almost intentionally bland and banal in just about every way — having something is probably a good idea.

        Loading editor
    • Rappy 4187 wrote: In preparation for eventual HTTPS migration, we are running a script to update custom CSS to reference HTTPS versions of images (rather than HTTP versions).

      Looks like the bot broke my CSS. Oh well, at least it runs only once.

        Loading editor
    • KockaAdmiralac wrote:

      Rappy 4187 wrote: In preparation for eventual HTTPS migration, we are running a script to update custom CSS to reference HTTPS versions of images (rather than HTTP versions).

      Looks like the bot broke my CSS. Oh well, at least it runs only once.

      That is another thing I was wondering about. Won't users just be able to change it back and/or continue adding new images without HTTPS? The bot is going to have to run again at some point.

        Loading editor
    • Not a huge fan of Rubik. I don't have any issues with Helvetica or other "normal" fonts; they're very easy to read and are very common elsewhere. Iintentionally using a lesser-known font for the sake of uniqueness/brand only makes the user experience on Wikia less smooth.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message