FANDOM

• So, I added a picture to a Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki page and it got taken down for "copyright violation." I was not aware of how the copyright worked and I felt bad for it. I tried to edit another MCU Wikia page (not related to the first page) and it turns out I was "blocked" by an admin because of that copyright violation, so I can't edit pages. It says, "Your user name or IP address has been blocked." Then I tried to ask for help on their Message Wall, but I couldn't leave messages there. The option to message them was gone. I guess I was blocked there too, and it turns out I couldn't leave messages on ANY Profile Message Wall on the MCU Wiki. I assume I'm basically blocked from everything on MCU Wiki (but I'm fine on other Wikis). I'm sorry and I feel bad for it. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to view the copyright rules on a Wikia?

2. Can I get un-blocked?

Thanks for reading this and if you reply back. I hope you're having a nice day!

Loading editor
    • not the place for an unblock, go ask a mod.

Loading editor
    • TheBowlOfBeshbarmak wrote:
      not the place for an unblock, go ask a mod.

OK, sorry about that. I meant "Is there a way I can get unblocked" not "can someone unblock me." What's a mod?

Loading editor
    • Which Marvel wiki? I am not seeing any contribution for you here and it doesn't look like your are blocked either. If that is the correct wiki, you need to talk to one of the local admins. If you really are blocked, you will need to do it using their message wall on this community.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote:
      Which Marvel wiki? I am not seeing any contribution for you here and it doesn't look like your are blocked either. If that is the correct wiki, you need to talk to one of the local admins. If you really are blocked, you will need to do it using their message wall on this community.

It's the Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki, not the other one. Sorry for not specifying earlier. (I corrected the original post so it says the full Wiki name now)

Loading editor
    • 1. Is there a way to view the copyright rules on a Wikia?

Different wikis will have different expectations for licensing, so a user will have to be proactive in searching for policy rules (if there are any; normally what I would do is look for them in top nav and/or homepage). In the MCU Wiki's case, I took a simple cursory glance and found links to the Policy category both on its homepage and in its top navigation. Looking for a wiki's policies, whether through top nav, the homepage, url, or search bar, is generally the place to start.

If you check the MCU's policy category, you'll find that they have an Images policy with a whole Licensing section for your perusal. Included on the page is a Deletion section which explains why an image might be deleted.

I've looked you up on the MCU Wiki and I see what you mean: you've been blocked for one year due to copyright violation. Now, if you check the Policies category (again, accessible via Discussions > Policies top nav) you'll see they have a Blocking Policy as well. You can see that they provide a typical blocking range ("24 hrs - 1 month") and list copyright violation as a reason for blocking: 

Copyright violations: Users who continually post copyrighted material despite being warned should be blocked so as to prevent further violations.

Well, it does say, "Only in very rare cases should non-proxy IPs be blocked for more than three months," so one year does sound extreme in this case. Like Andrewds1021 said, you'll probably have to contact one of the local admins via their Community Central message wall to discuss this. 

Loading editor

• PancakeWorld wrote:
      So, I added a picture to a Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki page and it got taken down for "copyright violation." I was not aware of how the copyright worked and I felt bad for it. I tried to edit another MCU Wikia page (not related to the first page) and it turns out I was "blocked" by an admin because of that copyright violation, so I can't edit pages. It says, "Your user name or IP address has been blocked." Then I tried to ask for help on their Message Wall, but I couldn't leave messages there. The option to message them was gone. I guess I was blocked there too, and it turns out I couldn't leave messages on ANY Profile Message Wall on the MCU Wiki. I assume I'm basically blocked from everything on MCU Wiki (but I'm fine on other Wikis). I'm sorry and I feel bad for it. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to view the copyright rules on a Wikia?

2. Can I get un-blocked?

Thanks for reading this and if you reply back. I hope you're having a nice day!

I dint know

and you can get unblocked by asking an administrator to do so on another wiki.

Loading editor
    • Some admins tend to be less forgiving about violations of rules by anons. This is because they can't know if they send a message to your IP that you are the one behind it. If you register an account, they may be more forgiving, because if they warn you, they know you are the one who gets the warning.

Loading editor
    • You could sue your blocking admin in case if they refused to unblock you.

Loading editor
    • Blue91233 wrote: You could sue your blocking admin in case if they refused to unblock you.

You'd be laughed out of court.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

Blue91233 wrote: You could sue your blocking admin in case if they refused to unblock you.

You'd be laughed out of court.

Then all of my hope is gone.

Loading editor
    • I hope you didn't mistake that for hope. Read up on basic law.

Loading editor
    • i'm pretty sure he was just kidding. learn how to take a joke

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message