FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for August 7, 2018:

August Mobile Update -1

August Mobile Update - 2
      Loading editor
    • Does this update will remove mobile edit option?

Loading editor
    • That PI looks considerably less crisp than the current version. While Mercury is getting development time, is there any chance local Administrators might get some customization options? Even if it’s just via Theme Designer, Mercury not aesthetically representing the Wiki it portrays has been a problem for years.

Loading editor
    • Railfail536 wrote: Does this update will remove mobile edit option?

It does - usage of this option was extremely minimal, and the experience wasn't what we wanted it to be, so it has been removed until we have a better alternative.

Switching to the full site and editing via there still remains an option, of course.

@Ursuul: nothing to announce at this time, but it remains an active topic of discussion.

Loading editor
    • Ursuul wrote: That PI looks considerably less crisp than the current version.

I agree with you. It doesn't look like a PI (except the title and header) to my eyes anymore. Also, I don't understand why this new Infobox style doesn't use the full width of the page. It's wasted space which can cause more line breakes than the style before. I wouldn't go far away from the old style. Maybe a color change could lead to the same effect?

Loading editor
    • Can we get a screenshot example of an infobox with a dark background? Or does that not exist because PI styling doesn't really get through to mobile...

Loading editor
    • Every change has it's pros and cons. I really like the new heading styling, they seem to use a lighter font. On the other side those infoboxes don't look like infoboxes. The blue accents we have now aren't perfect and I'm glad we are getting rid of them, although making the color customizable might have been then removing it altogether – it just looks like a nPI now.

Loading editor
    • The update isn't that bad, but definitely needs some improvement. I personally think we should keep editing for now, and make the infoboxes full width.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: Can we get a screenshot example of an infobox with a dark background? Or does that not exist because PI styling doesn't really get through to mobile...

There isn't a dark theme (Discussions only). An nPI screenshot would be nice tho.

Loading editor
    • Hmm. Interesting. But since I don't use Mobile, I'm not really affected either way. :|

Loading editor
    • I like the new design of the infobox. I agree it could be improved (for example with a border) but it's already better then the old version in my opinion.

Loading editor
    • I dont' want the mobile edit option to be discontinued. WIll it be fixed very soon? I was a very avid editor on both desktop and mobile. Mobile editing gave me so much convenience as I could still edit on wiki even when I'm unable to use my computer at the moment.  I'd appreciate it if we could still use the moble edit option please. I really like the new style, but I'd genuinely appreciate it if we still had the ability to edit on our iphones as well as computers please. 

So will we have our mobile edit option again? 

Loading editor
    • It would be so nice if the edit button still remain ...

Loading editor
    • Ngh93 wrote: I dont' want the mobile edit option to be discontinued. WIll it be fixed very soon? I was a very avid editor on both desktop and mobile. Mobile editing gave me so much convenience as I could still edit on wiki even when I'm unable to use my computer at the moment.  I'd appreciate it if we could still use the moble edit option please. I really like the new style, but I'd genuinely appreciate it if we still had the ability to edit on our iphones as well as computers please. 

Silenoir Tom wrote: It would be so nice if the edit button still remain ...

Both of you guys could just switching to the full site to be able to edit. If you want to switch to the full site, scroll all the way to the bottom, then tap on "VIEW FULL SITE", then you reach the desktop website. That way, there'll be an edit button.

Also, to Ngh93, editing from Oasis will always be a thing. If editing was removed from there too, then there'll be no point editing on FANDOM anywhere, since it'll be impossible.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Ngh93 wrote: I dont' want the mobile edit option to be discontinued. WIll it be fixed very soon? I was a very avid editor on both desktop and mobile. Mobile editing gave me so much convenience as I could still edit on wiki even when I'm unable to use my computer at the moment.  I'd appreciate it if we could still use the moble edit option please. I really like the new style, but I'd genuinely appreciate it if we still had the ability to edit on our iphones as well as computers please. 

Silenoir Tom wrote: It would be so nice if the edit button still remain ...

Both of you guys could just switching to the full site to be able to edit. If you want to switch to the full site, scroll all the way to the bottom, then tap on "VIEW FULL SITE", then you reach the desktop website. That way, there'll be an edit button.

Also, to Ngh93, editing from Oasis will always be a thing. If editing was removed from there too, then there'll be no point editing on FANDOM anywhere, since it'll be impossible.

Well, the only problem with switching to full site is I don't how to swtich back to hte moble view. I tried the click full site option once and I couldn't find a way to swithc back to the mobile mode. It forced me to clear all my Safari history and that's EXTREMELY frustrating. Also viewing desktop mode from my phone requires a lot of zooming since I couldn't have the text fit on my the phone screen. 

So, you see, deleting the mobile edit option seems to have created more problems than solving them. I'm afraid if we don't have that edit option back, it's more likely to create even more problems than it already has.

That being said, I believe it'd be far easier if we keep both edit buttons on desktop and mobile. So could you please work on including the edit link on the mobile screen as well as the desktop screen?

Loading editor
    • Ngh93 wrote: Well, the only problem with switching to full site is I don't how to swtich back to hte moble view. I tried the click full site option once and I couldn't find a way to swithc back to the mobile mode. It forced me to clear all my Safari history and that's EXTREMELY frustrating. Also viewing desktop mode from my phone requires a lot of zooming since I couldn't have the text fit on my the phone screen. 

So, you see, deleting the mobile edit option seems to have created more problems than solving them. I'm afraid if we don't have that edit option back, it's more likely to create even more problems than it already has.

That being said, I believe it'd be far easier if we keep both edit buttons on desktop and mobile. So could you please work on including the edit link on the mobile screen as well as the desktop screen?

I don't see why you need to experience that problem. I think you're gonna hate yourself if you didn't know this, but to return to mobile view, scroll at the bottom and there'll be a button called "VIEW MOBILE SITE". Tap it, and it'll return you to the mobile site. If that doesn't work, just add ?useskin=mercury at the end of the URL.

I agree that removing the edit option could cause problems, especially to people like you, but the truth is, not many people use the mobile skin to edit a page, which is why the staff have to remove it.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything to bring it back, since I'm not part of the FANDOM staff. The change is live, and I'm afraid to say this, but the editing option is removed, so at this point, you should adapt to its removal. If anything, you could go to Special:Contact/feedback to contact the staff about the problem.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

I don't see why you need to experience that problem. I think you're gonna hate yourself if you didn't know this, but to return to mobile view, scroll at the bottom and there'll be a button called "VIEW MOBILE SITE". Tap it, and it'll return you to the mobile site. If that doesn't work, just add ?useskin=mercury at the end of the URL.

I agree that removing the edit option could cause problems, especially to people like you, but the truth is, not many people use the mobile skin to edit a page, which is why the staff have to remove it.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything to bring it back, since I'm not part of the FANDOM staff. The change is live, and I'm afraid to say this, but the editing option is removed, so at this point, you should adapt to its removal. If anything, you could go to Special:Contact/feedback to contact the staff about the problem.

Can't believe I didn't notice that "view moble site" on the bottom. I tested it out and it worked thanks!

As for the edit mobile deletion? Well, I'm one of those people who doesn't react to huge changes very well, and it usually takes me a while to get used to those big changes. The moble edit deletion for instance, since I edit a lot on my I-Phone.  

I just tested the desktop edit mode already. Seems pretty simple. Not exactly the same. For instance I can't view galleries in slideshow view anymore. I still don't like this update very much, but I might as well get used to it. Maybe I really could get used to it. Maybe even sooner than I'd expect.

But still, I can't help but wonder. What's the point of the mobile view if you can't edit from it? How does deleting the edit button not remove the purpose of why we have the moble view in the first place?

Loading editor
    • I don’t like this update. I edit a lot on mobile.

Loading editor
    • Ngh93 wrote:

JustLeafy wrote:

What's the point of the mobile view if you can't edit from it? How does deleting the edit button not remove the purpose of why we have the moble view in the first place?

The majority of the people want a more convenient and mobile-friendly interface when they want to use FANDOM, so the mobile skin was designed for that purpose. And besides, there are more people using mobile than PC, so that's why the mobile skin exists.

Loading editor
    • Thanks for all the feedback so far - it's being passed along to the team!

Loading editor
    • Since I don't have regular access to a computer everyday, I pretty much did the majority of my editing on my phone. Was there even a vote?

Loading editor
    • The mobile skin editor was the most basic source editor possible. Only good for those who only wish to make minor corrections or know all the source code they need by heart.

Switching between mobile view and desktop view on smartphones is easy, at least in Chrome. It's a simple checkbox in the menu.

Loading editor
    • Yes, mobile editing was a pain, but it worked. I used it for small edits like adding categories, fixing minor typos, adding a single reference, just to keep up my daily edits. The "switch to desktop" version never really worked for me, the buttons are too small, the page kept getting frozen or ads popped up in unexpected places.

The edit button harmed nobody. Yes, it wasn't perfect, but if you didn't like it, you could just not use it. Why would I use mobile now if I can't edit anything?

Please return the option to edit on mobile as soon as possible.

Loading editor
    • I'm not sure what kind of "ads in unexpected places" you are talking about. You could try taking a screenshot. Perhaps there is some kind of malware installed on your phone.

Loading editor
    • A general problem with web advertising and even worse on mobile advertising is that most sites don't really know what the advertising company is going to show the user, so often those ads do strange and bad things. This is true of FANDOM as well. They even have a specific reporting link, because they can only try to deal with it after the fact: Special:Contact/bad-ad.

I will say, I haven't been hit by too many bad ads on mobile recently while browsing FANDOM wikis, but it is still unpredictable.

Loading editor
    • While that is true to some extent, we do have rather more control over what ads display on the site than we did in the past. As FANDOM has increased in stature, we've been able to start dealing with many advertisers directly, rather than relying on third-party ad networks.

That said, ads can still be misconfigured (or just have bugs), so we definitely appreciate reports of issues via Special:Contact/bad-ad - they all get investigated.

Loading editor
    • Hmmm... that explains the improved ad experience. I give FANDOM credit. The improvement was noticeable. A year ago or so I used to regularly get the most-hated redirect ads on mobile. Now I almost never get them.

Loading editor
    • I tried get used to this mobile editing but it is still extremely dificult and nearly impossible. It's just not working out for me or anbody else. Whenever I try the desktop on my mobile, it fills my screen too much, making my mobile editing 10 times more difficult than they should be. And sometimes my mobile edits don't even get saved. It doesn't look like I can get used to this anti-moble edits. I thought I could, but it just got more difficult and frustrating.

Could we please have our option to edit on our phones again ASAP? This switiching to desktop view to do mobile edting is just not working out at all for me. :( 

It'd be 10 times more helpful to several users if we could edit on both our laptops and phones quite easily agian.  Could we please have our ability to edit on our phones again? Thanks I'd genueinly appreciate it. 

Loading editor
    • That's why I tend to avoid using anything other than a PC for the Internet. It's just the only thing that's pleasing to my eyes. Other skins just don't make the cut. And nor do things like touch screens.

Loading editor
    • C.Syde65 wrote:
      That's why I tend to avoid using anything other than a PC for the Internet. It's just the only thing that's pleasing to my eyes. Other skins just don't make the cut. And nor do things like touch screens.

Well, you must be lucky, because I don't own any PCs. Only macs. I'm pretty sure there are several people with the same problem.

That aside, there were many ways to edit wiki besides computer. And that's why we have mobile edit in the first place. Now it seems we can only do it by computer, which isn't so convienent. 

I would give the moon and the star to be able to edit on mobile again. It was extremely convienenet when I could edit on my phone since I wasn't able to get to my computer.

But what can we do to get our ability to edit on our phones and ipads again? Anybody have any ideas?

Loading editor
    • Ngh93 wrote:

C.Syde65 wrote:
      That's why I tend to avoid using anything other than a PC for the Internet. It's just the only thing that's pleasing to my eyes. Other skins just don't make the cut. And nor do things like touch screens.

Well, you must be lucky, because I don't own any PCs. Only macs. I'm pretty sure there are several people with the same problem.

That aside, there were many ways to edit wiki besides computer. And that's why we have mobile edit in the first place. Now it seems we can only do it by computer, which isn't so convienent. 

I would give the moon and the star to be able to edit on mobile again. It was extremely convienenet when I could edit on my phone since I wasn't able to get to my computer.

But what can we do to get our ability to edit on our phones and ipads again? Anybody have any ideas?

Use the desktop site.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote:

Ngh93 wrote:

C.Syde65 wrote:

Use the desktop site.

Been there, done that. I already stated that I tried doing the desktop site and it's not working out for me. The mobile desktop fills my screen too, making my edits ridiculously challenging and sometimes my mobile edits don't even get saved. It's just not working at all for any of us. To say the least, using desktop mode on our iphone does 99.9% harm to us and only .01% good to us. All in all, it's completely useless!

THis is why we need our mobile editing option back. It never did us any harm in the first place and we were content editors on both computers and phones and several people such as myself would do anything to have the moble editing option agian. 

So anybody have any ideas to bring our mobile edits back? BESIDES using the desktop mode on our mobile devices? 

Loading editor
    • No, that's currently impossible. However, the staff are planning to add mobile editing back, according to one of their recent blog posts.

Loading editor
    • JustLeafy wrote: No, that's currently impossible. However, the staff are planning to add mobile editing back, according to one of their recent blog posts.

Awesome to hear the staff is planning to be having noble editing back! I can’t wait. But just to be doubly certain, could you send me a link of that blogpost of that Staff’s plan to re-enable mobile editing? Just to confirm your source of info?

Whatever the case, I am so eager of the staff deciding to add noble edits again. Once they do that, it’ll be like this mess never even happened. The only thing that worries me however is how long it’ll take for the staff to re-add the mobile editing option. I hope we don’t have to wait long.

Loading editor
    • A plan to add mobile editing back is like a plan to bring Discussions to parity with Forum. It's just a plan with no useful details about when and how much.

Loading editor
    • can't even view Wikia anymore after the updates it displays error on everything

Loading editor
    • Well, I'm not buying that 92% use the button when on PCs than on mobile because that's a very stupid excuse to remove it and reinsert it. I really want the button return back to mobile mode soon since I don't want the removal to last forever.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message