FANDOM

• Here are the release notes for FANDOM's code release scheduled for October 18, 2018:

• NOTABLE: We will release Google login for web. This allows new and existing users to connect their FANDOM account to Google and to register or log in via Google. Once connected, you can disconnect your FANDOM account from your Google account at any time via your Preferences.
      Loading editor
    • This feature sounds really convient, and sign ups for newer users is going to be a lot easier.

What types of permissions will FANDOM ask from a user's Google account?

Loading editor
    • This is awesome! I'm so excited to connect my Google account. Like South Ferry said, this should also make sign-ups for new users a whole lot easier.

Loading editor
    • When a user connects their Google account to log in or register, Google shares the user's name, email address, and profile picture with us. Additional permissions are not required. Is that what you're wondering?

Loading editor
    • Finally!

Loading editor
    • I'm not sure what effect this will have on me since I only log into my account directly from the login drop down.

Loading editor
    • Then it won't have an effect on you at all. It's only relevant for those who find it more convenient and want the added security (2-factor authentication) Google provides when they register or log in. It's completely optional!

Loading editor
    • I'm not sure 2-factor would help that much when things like this happen: https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/08/google-plus-hack/

Loading editor
    • That was a glitch in one specific service that allowed for third-party access to certain user information, it's not all that related to login.

Loading editor
    • Umm... that's the point. Secure login doesn't protect you. I'm not saying don't use 2-factor, but don't expect it to really protect you.

Loading editor
    • It's a rare case, not the norm tho

Loading editor
    • So, we will be able to connect Google+ account to wikia. or anyone can create or connect a wikia account to Google Plus? Like, there's a facebook connection button which can connect wikia account to facebook so Google plus will work same as facebook connection thing?

Loading editor
    • Yes, it will work the same. You can choose Facebook or Google when you register, or do neither and sign up with your email address the old-fashioned way, and you can link your existing account with Google just like you always could with Facebook in the right-most tab in your preferences. There, you can also disconnect it again.

Your Google account is usually your Google email address, which you can use on all sorts of other Google products. It's not specifically a Google+ account. 

We'll update the corresponding help pages once this is released, too.

Loading editor
    • Would it be possible to make it so that you can only login via your google account, and not via your password, that way you're forcing 2FA for FANDOM kinda?

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:

Would it be possible to make it so that you can only login via your google account, and not via your password, that way you're forcing 2FA for FANDOM kinda?

They would have to do it in a way that if your G account got disconnected from Wikia it would revert back to regular login, otherwise it could get ugly.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:

Would it be possible to make it so that you can only login via your google account, and not via your password, that way you're forcing 2FA for FANDOM kinda?

They would have to do it in a way that if your G account got disconnected from Wikia it would revert back to regular login, otherwise it could get ugly.

They could easily do that by making it so you have to set a password to disconnect your google account.

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:

They could easily do that by making it so you have to set a password to disconnect your google account.

I'm not talking about intentionally disconnecting, I'm talking about the situation where Google changes something that would cause a disconnection.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

Sophiedp wrote:

I'm not talking about intentionally disconnecting, I'm talking about the situation where Google changes something that would cause a disconnection.

Ah, tho I don't think that Google would be able to change anything that would disconnect your account?

Loading editor
    • Sophiedp, it's not about whether Google would, it's about accounting for the possibility. Let's say, one day, Google's login system goes down. All Google services would naturally be affected, but if a website like FANDOM restricted all logins to Google-only, then they would be affected too. It's a bad idea to force everyone to Google-only.

For what it's worth, though, Google having two-factor authentication means nothing. If your FANDOM account still has a password -- for example, for those of us who registered with an email and password and now connect a Google account for a second sign-in avenue -- it won't mean anything since the FANDOM account itself could still be logged into. FANDOM needs to add native 2FA support to really have a good, secure login system.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

FANDOM needs to add native 2FA support to really have a good, secure login system.

Every website that has you login and holds important personal data should have 2FA. However, it took quite awhile for FANDOM to even start the HTTPS process going live, so the chances of 2FA on FANDOM within less than 2 years are low. There are 2FA open source projects out there (not many), but they have some important limitations (like no desktop app for auth).

Lastly, right now implementing a decent 2FA system might currently be beyond the technical capabilities of FANDOM dev.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote: like no desktop app for auth

there are desktop 2FA apps, that even sync with other devices (including mobile)

Loading editor
    • Having a 2FA app exist doesn't mean anything if it doesn't work with the 2FA system you're using.

Loading editor
    • This doesn't change the fact I don't advise anyone to create accounts through Facebook or Google. I don't know how it works now, but I knew someone who had started their account with Facebook and due to this, having forgotten their Facebook password, could no longer log in.

Loading editor
    • This could happen with any kind of account. That's why usually they have a password recovery method, usually through an e-mail address. Always remember to confirm your e-mail address if you are asked to do so for cases like this. I never had to recover my Facebook account, but I'm pretty sure they also offer account recovery, Google too.

Loading editor
    • Yes, and even if, for some reason, your account is connected to Google or Facebook and you can't recover your accounts with them, you could still log into FANDOM with your previous password and your username. You can request a password reset even if you're connected and usually login via Google or Facebook. 

Loading editor
    • An update on Wikia's Birthday?

Birthday Happy FANDOM

Loading editor
    • AWikiBoy521

the king is back

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message