FANDOM

• Hey all, hope you can help. I admin the Hitchhikers Wiki and have a contributor on the Wiki who I need to talk to about following the Manual of Style.

I've never had an issue messaging them before, or anyone else, but I've tried three times to post on their message wall, and twice to leave replies to previous posts on their message wall, but none of them post. I've logged in and out, made sure I'm logged in, but every time I post the message I want to send and see it go but then there's nothing there on the wall, my post is not in the activity either. It just disappears. 

Is it possible they blocked me somehow? Or perhaps it is just a glitch. I have no issues with other message walls, so I'm not sure what's happening. 

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, or if anyone knows what has happened. Not sure how else to contact them as it's not definite they will see any blog posts I make, and I would like to contact them about this soon as they keep making edits which need to be reverted as they go against the MoS, and don't want them to continue wasting their time doing these edits. 

Loading editor
    • Sounds really odd. I am not having any problems. So, to clarify, this only happens when posting on this particular user's wall on this particular wiki?

Loading editor
    • Yup, only on this specific person's wall, on that specific Wiki. I've had to warn them about making graffiti-like edits before, so I thought maybe they had blocked me, which would be unfair as I'm only trying to look out for other contributors and make sure everyone tries their best to follow the MoS. But I don't think you can block other users? I've never had to do so, only block people from the Wiki itself, so I don't know much about it. They've not been blocked from the Wiki, either. I might have to report this as a bug to Staff.

It's been happening for a couple of days, I've tried two days in a row now but don't want to spam in case they suddenly end up posting and the poor person has several identical posts on their message wall. I'd say they're just taking time to upload/post, maybe lagging somewhat, but the activity is full of other posts and edits, so I don't see why they've never posted. It's a bit odd!

Loading editor
    • Interesting. Well, there is no way to "block" a user's post, which rules that out completely. The best thing to do is to report it over at Special:Contact/bug. Keep in mind staff is on holiday break though, so it may be a while.

Loading editor
    • Which Message Wall is that? If you have any other account, have you tried sending the message from that account with the note about previous failures to send it from yours? Have you been writing the message every time over and over or have you saved it and pasted it into the wall after logging out and back in? Lastly, have you tried clearing your FANDOM cookies and trying again?

Loading editor
    • Hello. You should clean your browser's "cache" and try to send them a message, again. 

Loading editor
    • To summarize what everyone else has been saying. There is not feature (as far as we know) that should be causing this to happen. As such, it is likely a bug. The only other possibility is that you are somehow triggering the abuse filter.

Loading editor
    • Andrewds1021 wrote: To summarize what everyone else has been saying. There is not feature (as far as we know) that should be causing this to happen. As such, it is likely a bug. The only other possibility is that you are somehow triggering the abuse filter.

No, it has nothing to do with AbuseFilter.

If AbuseFilter is the case, then there is an error message popping up at the top of the screen after sending a message, but it does not in this user's case.

Loading editor
    • Yes, can you reset your browser's cache? Let me know if that works.

Loading editor
    • Hi all, thanks so much for your responses! Don't know why I didn't think sooner about clearing my cache, but I did that and now I can post on their message wall fine, I typed the message and it uploaded and appears on their wall and in the activity log. I think it must have been a bug or to do with the cache. Thanks again for your advice! 

Loading editor
    • Applemasterexpert wrote:

Andrewds1021 wrote: To summarize what everyone else has been saying. There is not feature (as far as we know) that should be causing this to happen. As such, it is likely a bug. The only other possibility is that you are somehow triggering the abuse filter.

If AbuseFilter is the case, then there is an error message popping up at the top of the screen after sending a message, but it does not in this user's case.

I did worry it was triggering some kind of spam or abuse filter, but no messages popped up. I didn't copy and paste the message as I didn't think it would be a reoccuring issue, which makes it unlikely it came up as spam or something, but maybe it did as I probably used similar wording! I don't think I'll report it as a bug unless it happens again within the week, I'll keep an eye out in case anyone else has similar issues with message walls.

Loading editor
    • Spacepigeon wrote:
      Applemasterexpert wrote:

Andrewds1021 wrote: To summarize what everyone else has been saying. There is not feature (as far as we know) that should be causing this to happen. As such, it is likely a bug. The only other possibility is that you are somehow triggering the abuse filter.

I did worry it was triggering some kind of spam or abuse filter, but no messages popped up. I didn't copy and paste the message as I didn't think it would be a reoccuring issue, which makes it unlikely it came up as spam or something, but maybe it did as I probably used similar wording! I don't think I'll report it as a bug unless it happens again within the week, I'll keep an eye out in case anyone else has similar issues with message walls.

Yes, there are people who had the same issues in the past days. There are hopefully more issues that has to do with what you are talking about, and it's the Message Wall. 

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message