FANDOM

• Hi,

Is there anyway to remove the discussion board feature and have it replaced with a forums feature instead? I think the discussions feature is rather complicated to use and all conversations, topics and discussions get lost in that area. With forums, it would be easier to categorise the topics and conversations.

I read on the support page, that if discussions are enabled, then it can't be replaced with forums. I really hope that isn't the case.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, any help is appreciated,
    Sebastian

Loading editor
    • Same thing, I want to remove the discussions board feature from Subway Surfers Fanon Wiki and replace it with a forums feature.

Loading editor
    • You can't. Discussions was introduced to replace Forums, which always had tons of under the hood issues. Discussions is built entirely separate of MediaWiki.

Loading editor
    • Is there a way to remove the feature altogether then? I don't like it and I can already tell it's going to be a nightmare to manage. Did this feature take over the chat feature as well? We don't have chat on our wiki either.

Loading editor
    • No, Chat is separate and can be enabled or disabled in the WikiFeatures.

Personally, I find Discussions easier to manage with the DiscussionsFeed script.

Loading editor
    • On the forum pages, it says there might be a way to recover forums. I've sent a request to staff, since it looks like our site had forums, but the forums were disabled in favour of discussions. I read that the two can run side by side, I'm not sure if that's the case.

Loading editor
    • Yes, they can. It's the case on two wikis I'm on. One was because we were testing it out, not sure on the other. In both cases, the Forum was never converted to Discussions, so I'm not sure if it's possible to bring it back if you've gone over.

Loading editor
    • Here's the page: https://lessa.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Index Is there anyway to restore this?

Loading editor
    • That's the old, old, wiki style forums.

Loading editor
    • Does that mean I can't get forums on my wiki then? It says that discussions are the standard for wikis created after November 2016, however, our wiki was created in February 2015, so at some point forums must have existed on our wiki. I wonder if it was removed by the previous admin?

Loading editor
    • It looks like you never switched from old to new thread-style forums.

Loading editor
    • I see, does that mean I have to learn to love the discussions feature? XD

Loading editor
    • You could create forums in the style of talk pages....

Personally, I would still prefer a choice, but...

The other thing you can do is to filter the discussions. On the Exposition Wiki you can see I have filtered the discussions for different types of discussion. Still pretty confusing, but it's better than nothing.

Optimism is the strength that leads to achievement...Tabby (talk) 16:16, January 8, 2019 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Here's our discussion board: https://lessa.wikia.com/d/f I'm not sure how to create new categories.

I don't understand how talk pages work, since I tried to use one once and couldn't work out how to type on it, so I replied to the user on their wall. XD How do I make a talk page look like a forum? Are there any example wikis, so I can see what this would look like in practice.

Loading editor
    • You can't make the talk page look like a forum. Talk pages work just like regular pages.

Loading editor
    • @Tupka217 How do talk pages work? I tried editing one, but was just met with a wall of black, and no idea where to start. Different font styles and colours on the talk pages I've seen confuse me, I can't tell where one comment starts and another one ends. I've seen some wikis where the message walls have been replaced with talk pages.

Loading editor
      • Talk pages have been around since the dawn of wiki software. They work exactly like a page: Edit the page, add your text. The difference is you have to sign your post with ~~~~
      • If you click edit to create a new section, you get a blank screen. Just start typing at the top. You can create a header to demark the beginning of your discussion with == Subject here ==
      • The font and color changes are usually people's signatures. Mine's this: Tupka217 18:39, January 8, 2019 (UTC)
      • A comment starts on a new line. It ends with a signature. New discussions should have a header, as explained above. If there's a page you dont understand, can you link it?
      • There are no wikis where the message walls have been replaced with talk pages. User talk pages were the standard at the start, Message Walls came much later. Some people prefer them, though I'd say the biggest drawback is the lack of notification on any user's page other than your own.
        Loading editor
    • That makes sense. Thanks Tupka. I don't think they're used on our site anymore, they all appear to have been archived. I can still see them by clicking on the link of other users pages. How do I find my own talk page? It'll probably be empty, but it'd be nice to know it's there.

Loading editor
    • Just to clarify, incase things are still a bit confused, user talk pages is part of the default format of MedaiWiki. Every namespace has an associated talk namespace and every page has its own talk page. The purpose is to provide a space for users to discuss the content of the given page. Article comments, blog comments, and message walls have been added as thread-based alternatives for having these discussions. These "newer" systems run along side the talk namespaces meaning that they can be enabled at the same time.

With regards to forums, there is the old wiki-style forums which adds a few namespaces and a couple of navigation pages (such as "Forum:Index"). However, the discussions themselves are held on pages that, aside from being in a particular namespace, work just like any other page. This particular format can be enabled and run along side Forum or Discussions and can still be enabled if your wiki doesn't have it. The thread-based forums, Forum, are what we are using right now and is analogous to article comments, blog comments, and message walls. It is this feature that is being replaced with Discussions. New wikis must use Discussions and, supposedly, all older wikis will be forced to convert at some point.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message