Wikia

Community Central

• The Phineas and Ferb wiki has a homophobic rule: It says, basically, that you can talk about characters being in love (also known as shipping) ONLY if the characters are straight. Otherwise, you cannot mention it. and (http://phineasandferb.wikia.com/wiki/Phineas_and_Ferb_Wiki_talk:Chat_behavior_and_guidelines) has a link. It's really offensive for other people. I am just concerned of the citizens surrounding that wikia.

Loading editor
    • I was offended when I was first shown that rule by a chat admin. This is unacceptable. It also says that you cannot talk about your OWN sexual preferences, so if you say at any point "I'm not straight" then you could get banned, which is ridiculous.

Loading editor
    • Sarah, that was written to try and head off the number of heated discussions or arguments that would take place on the wiki. It was written at a time when we needed to come up with a procedure for handling problems since at the time the Chat didn't have the ability to specify a duration or a reason why someone was kicked out of the chat room and so the chatmods were not consistent in why a kickban had to be used.

The part that Icanhascheezeburger zeroed in on, which is that the sexual preference of a real-life person or cartoon character not being an appropriate topic of conversation for younger kids, was not to prevent providing information to children about this subject. Rather, it acknowledges two things:

1. Right now, this is a volatile subject that is pretty much guaranteed to degenerate into a heated discussion, argument and/or name-calling. Maybe in the future it won't be, but right now it is.

2. People who come into a chat channel and start discussing sex are usually not interested in providing education to people on this topic. They usually have more malicious intent, such as evidenced by trolls, sexual predators and pedophiles.

Neither of these was stated on the page, but since it is a page with guidelines about what is and isn't allowed in the chat, providing a full reason for each guideline would have made the page too long for most people to bother reading. If asked, I could have provided more information about the reasoning behind each point.

In a way, Icanhascheezeburger did ask about this. She left a message on the Talk page for the policy candidate, stating her objection. I happened to see it within about a half hour of when it was posted and was in the process of responding to it when I learned that she had also created a blog here on Community Central to further voice her complaint.

Had she waited to see the answer to her message on the policy candidate's talk page, I would have been able to handle this situation before it escalated. As it is, it took less than a day for the first really inflamatory message to appear, the one by MCcomics, which is a much more hurtful and hateful comment than anything Icanhascheezeburger was objecting to. It demonstrates point #1 above. I realize that messages like this are sometimes left by trolls who want to fan the flames, but again, had she waited, this could have been avoided.

The guidelines page has been updated. It now adds the fact that this subject usually leads to heated discussions/arguments. I will begin the process of having the members of the wiki formally review it for further updates and then it will go to a community vote.

Loading editor
    • Rabbit, that was unsettling.

Loading editor
    • A few days ago, while teaching a kid's art class, one of my young students approached me and said:

"Do you want to hear something special? I have two mommies! Only one of them picks me up from class every day, but I have two mommies. They're both wonderful and they love me very much. I don't have a daddy. I have two mommies. And that makes me special!"

Don't you DARE say that children wouldn't understand homosexuality. Children are accepting people who understand what love, and what family, is.

Loading editor
    • Hi, Brandon Rhea has closed the comments on the blog - his intention of doing this is to ask you to kindly stop discussing this on the community wiki. If you would like to raise objections to the points RRabbit has made in reply to this wall post, I suggest that you do it on the P&F wiki. Thank you.

Loading editor
    • They can discuss it anywhere they want. This wiki has so many darn rules.

Loading editor
    • The issue is not about whether kids would understand this. The issue is that it is a volatile subject that usually leads to heated discussions, arguments and/or name-calling. Comments like this are helping to prove that point.

Loading editor
    • This wikia has so many rules that it can give you a headache. Please loosen up a little, it's for the best. And Rabbit, please, just accept the fact that the P and F wikia needs change for the better.

Loading editor
    • ImperiexSeed: We don't want central to become a place where drama from other wikis overflows to. Firstly because then some members of the community might not be aware that the drama is happening - and secondly because it's an administrative haste that requires admins here to come up to speed with the history of the drama and the posters, something that we're not familiar with because we're not involved in the community. I do find it unfortunate that LGBT issues still have "heated discussions" on the P&F wiki, and I hope that changes in the future.

From what I've seen, the admins at the P&F wiki have been demonised for a not too well thought-out policy. Instead of making a fuss here, I'd advise the users to firstly try and rationally discuss the motives behind the policy with the admins, and ask them to change them if necessary. Jumping to conclusions on the matter helped nobody in this case.

If you'd like to discuss the policies and rules of community central, the best place to start that discussion is my wall. I'm happy to address feedback.

Loading editor
    • It's like, please don't do that, don't do this, stop with that - oh my God, it's annoying! Wish I could, Blugo34, but since this wiki redundantly pessimistic towards me, I appose them.

Loading editor
    • Problem is, they banned some of us from their wiki making its pretty hard to discuss these issues in the appropriate place. Therefore, we came here to adress the issue and discuss it. Because we care about these issues and the rule in it's first form WAS homophobic.

Loading editor
    • @RandomTime: I didn't jump to conclusions there, bud.

Loading editor
    • The jumping to conclusions part was aimed at the users in the blog comments, not at you, ironically enough.

Loading editor
    • Good catch there, Marcaline (I can imagine it'd make it hard to resolve when you're blocked). So let's see if I'm understanding you correctly, this wiki, the P&F wiki, has a certain policy where no one can talk about relationships and affections?

Loading editor
    • You can read the blog if you'd like to get more information, as I've said earlier, this really isn't the place to talk about it now.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, well. When we came there, we were told we could talk about ships (relationships between characters), but only if they were boy-girl. Girl-girl or boy-boy relationships could not be discussed as a result of that rule. We considered this rule to be homophobic and mentioned that in their chat... we we're told "not to bring it up anymore". We were then suddenly banned, as a way to silence us. So we went here and "Icanhascheeseburger" created a blog about the way we were treated and the way we saw this rule as bad. The rule has not been changed yet, they still have to vote on it, and we are still banned from there.

Loading editor
    • This is what I'm going to say on that wiki right now - rather than stop people discussing LGBT, why not ban people who say things offensive against the LGBT like the Goat City wikia does? That would solve half the problems and wouldn't be monopolizing the LGBT community but instead supporting it.

It's like my mum telling me that I should avoid my sister and try my best not to antagonize her accidentally because she can't be asked dealing with my rampant conflictual sister herself. It's not fair.

We came here because I didn't have much faith in the admins of that wiki as they had posted that rule there in the first place and when we inquired about it in (an otherwise empty) chat we were kicked.

I understand why you want us to end this discussion or at least move it, so I'm going to move my end to the P+F wiki.

Loading editor
    • Not the proper place to discuss it, RandomTime?! Where else could it be effectively discussed? I think Marcaline and the rest are completely justified in doing it here, maybe not necessarily on this person's wall (unless they we apart of it, in which case it would be).

Loading editor
    • I very much doubt that the P&F wiki wouldn't get rid of homophobes when they show up. I agree with your points and think the policy should be changed, and I think the new wording reflects this well.

Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from here. It's an important discussion to have - but central isn't where we want the drama to go. As a last resort, it's a good place to have a neutral turf, but seeing as neither you or Marcaline are blocked from the wiki, I don't see a reason why this discussion can't take place on the P&F wiki.

Loading editor
    • We could no longer discuss it there having been banned. And "Icanhascheezeburger" created a blog here about it that was ALSO closed by one of the members of staff. That makes it pretty damn hard for us to discuss this issue. So where else can they expect us to go? Let's get real.

Loading editor
    • Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're banned from chat, not from the wiki. Brandon closed the discussion because frankly, it was getting out of hand - and RRabbit had made a change to the policy.

Loading editor
    • I was banned from chat BEFORE that policy was changed. And I heard the policy is not changed yet, there will be talking about it and then if the other moderators agree, it MAY be changed. I was banned from there chat for only one reason, and that reason was me pointing out that rule was homophobic. I was told not to discuss it, and was banned for doing so. I believe that is pretty unfair and I see now reason why they would not undo my block now.

Loading editor
    • This is absolutely rediculous. I feel that this rule is completely and utterly homophobic, just as the others, yet I feel that this is so silly as to how the wiki is not doing anything about this situation. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Loading editor
    • This wikia should really loosen up, I mean it has so many rules and you get scolded every time. It's really frivolous. I hope they update there rules because it is sometimes silly and ugly. Thank You.

Loading editor
    • Long story short, this is absolutely ridic. This is all a lie, and you shouldn't even bring up mushy love stuff like that. Something's gotta be done. Say NO to Justin Bieber and YES to Perry the Platypus! (talk) 15:19, August 13, 2012 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • That was so callow and puerile. Also, do you know anything about what is happening?

Loading editor
    • You can discuss the P&F policy here, and you can discuss central's polices here, thanks.

Loading editor
    • i agree with RRAbbit. nuff' said.

Loading editor
    • No. OBJECTION! His content was insuffecient and dangling. It's really confusing.

Loading editor
    • Guys, this is a stupid topic and it NEEDS to stop! It's getting very annoying! Just STOP!!

Loading editor
    • No, you should NOT be involved if you don't know anything about the situation.

Loading editor
    • As I said earlier, please discuss this on the wiki. Comments below this will be removed.

Loading editor
    • RansomTime
      RansomTime removed this reply because:
      closed comments
      16:28, August 13, 2012
      This reply has been removed

K.

Loading editor
    • RansomTime
      RansomTime removed this reply because:
      Closed comments
      16:28, August 13, 2012
      This reply has been removed

If you say so.

Loading editor
    • Hi All, This seems to have gotten quite out of hand. Please all take a minute to relax and reflect on the the discussion. The goal of Wikia is for folks to work together on topics that they are passionate about - and when there is an issue working together to resolve it. From what I can see, a problem was identified, solution proposed and put in place. Now that is has, please don't got back and forth nitpicking each other, and return your focus to working on the wiki.

Loading editor
    • Now, Mrs. Manley, would you be kind enough to remove this pointless thread? Say NO to Justin Bieber and YES to Perry the Platypus! (talk) 18:49, August 13, 2012 (UTC)

Loading editor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki