FANDOM

• Whenever I try to copy or past basic text using the right click function, I get this message:

"Because of your browser security settings, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again in this window."

I have looked all over for a security option that relates to this problem, but I could find none. I am using Firefox

Loading editor
    • This is probably because you are editing in visual and mode. Switch to source mode in order to do this properly.

Loading editor
    • Thanks, that does help, but I still don't understand why there is even an option to be able to copy and paste if it can't be changed to allow me to do so. Where can I modify my security settings so that I don't have to toggle between source and visual mode to copy/paste?

Loading editor
    • Well to copy you can highlight the text and use ctrl + c to copy and ctrl + v to paste.

Loading editor
    • While I do appreciate the help, these are not answers I was asking for. I know that i can use commands to copy and paste. What I want to know, again, is how do I change my security settings to allow me to do so with the right click function.

Loading editor
    • This site should give you the general information you're looking for. With the instructions, use the URL of the wiki you're editing instead. See if that works, I haven't tried it. This was just one of the first results in Google, not sure if there are better explanations.

Loading editor
    • It is impossible for you to change any security setting that would allow you to paste directly into the visual editor with the right-click -> paste button.

The "security setting" to which it is referring is the fact that JavaScript executing in a web browser does not have access to your clipboard. Which is a very good thing, because if it did, thousands of people would be having credit card numbers, passwords, addresses, etc. stolen from their clipboard on a daily basis.

That custom "paste" button you see in the visual editor is not a native feature of your web browser, it's actually a custom designed element of the webpage – and it requires JavaScript to function, so it can't access your clipboard.

Technical sidenote: Adobe flash, however, can access your clipboard, the ZeroClipboard library (and its various forks) being one commonly used artifact on certain websites that have custom copy/paste features. But Wikia does not use this library so far as I know.

Loading editor
    • Mathmagician wrote:
      It is impossible for you to change any security setting that would allow you to paste directly into the visual editor with the right-click -> paste button.

The "security setting" to which it is referring is the fact that JavaScript executing in a web browser does not have access to your clipboard. Which is a very good thing, because if it did, thousands of people would be having credit card numbers, passwords, addresses, etc. stolen from their clipboard on a daily basis.

That custom "paste" button you see in the visual editor is part of the webpage, and it requires JavaScript to function, so it can't access your clipboard.

Why am I able to copy&paste with right click with no issues?

Loading editor
    • Princess Platinum wrote:

Because you are not using the Visual Mode editor? Pasting into source mode, which I'm guessing is what you're doing, uses your browser's native copy/paste feature, which is not subject to the aforementioned security issue.

Loading editor
    • Mathmagician wrote:

Princess Platinum wrote:

Because you are not using the Visual Mode editor? Pasting into source mode, which I'm guessing is what you're doing, uses your browser's native copy/paste feature, which is not subject to the aforementioned security issue.

No, I can copy and paste into the visual editor with no problem what so ever. It wouldn't let me do it for the first week after I made an account, but ever since I have had no problem doing it.

Loading editor
    • To clarify, the original poster is saying that when he right-clicks in the Visual Editor, he gets this button.

CKE-editor rightclickpaste 1

And when you click that button, you should be seeing the following popup.

CKE-editor rightclickpaste 2

Again, this only applies to copy/pasting in the Visual Editor via right-clicking methods. If you use CTRL-C or CTRL-V, that's your browser's native copy/paste, which again, is completely different from the right clicking thing.

Are you saying that you are able to right-click in the visual editor, and the click that paste button (boxed in red in the first screenshot) – WITHOUT getting the popup window in the second screenshot?

Loading editor
    • I also see that button and it functions as expected. Meaning that it pastes from my clipboard. I don't see that popup.

Loading editor
    • I'm using firefox and windows. As mathmagician pointed out, when I am using the visual editor, it shows me the box when I right click and has the options to copy and paste, but when I try to do so I get the message saying that that feature is blocked by my security features. Part of my frustration is that if the box shows these options, why is it so hard to unlock them. It appears as if it were something that I COULD do, but so far it seems like the only option is to go into the Firefox directory and modify the file, which is more than I am willing to do at the moment.

Loading editor
    • @Princess Platinum: Are you by chance using the Internet Explorer web browser? I believe Internet Explorer does have a automatic popup option for allowing the webpage to access the clipboard.

I'm fairly certain other browsers like Firefox and Chrome don't have this option (at least, not in such a user-friendly fashion, it would require jumping through loopholes like the one Bobogoobo posted) – again, for good security reasons.

Loading editor
    • After reading the article that Bobogoobo posted, I thought that there might be a way to change those settings for particular websites, much like how I can (and sometimes must) turn off my AdBlocker addon, but that doesn't seem to be the case either

Loading editor
    • Could it be the fact that I am using Ubuntu and the latest Chrome.deb package?

Loading editor
    • To circle back to the beginning, is there a reason you can't just use CTRL+C and CTRL+V, or the source editor instead? Despite the presence of not 1, but 2 simple and effective workarounds suggested earlier, you seem either very determined to make the right-clicking thing work, or are more interested in this web browser quirk than the act of copy/pasting itself.

Loading editor
    • Princess Platinum wrote:
      Could it be the fact that I am using Ubuntu and the latest Chrome.deb package?

Could be. Admittedly, Ubuntu and I are not acquainted though :)

Loading editor
    • Mathmagician wrote:
      Princess Platinum wrote:
      Could it be the fact that I am using Ubuntu and the latest Chrome.deb package?

Could be. Admittedly, Ubuntu and I are not acquainted though :)

Whoo! I'm special!

Loading editor
    • There are a few reasons why I am determined. First of all, its quick and is my perfered method, namely because I like to use my mouse as much as possible. I am switching between visual and source at the moment because I can still depend on my mouse. Second of all, I'm curious. It seems like there should be an explanation. Thirdly, when I asked the question to begin with, I was a little frustrated that people were giving me alternatives instead of just answering me, which is a pet peeve of mine (no offense to those trying to help).

Loading editor
    • Muaddib042 wrote:
      There are a few reasons why I am determined. First of all, its quick and is my perfered method, namely because I like to use my mouse as much as possible. I am switching between visual and source at the moment because I can still depend on my mouse. Second of all, I'm curious. It seems like there should be an explanation. Thirdly, when I asked the question to begin with, I was a little frustrated that people were giving me alternatives instead of just answering me, which is a pet peeve of mine (no offense to those trying to help).

Then if you wish to stop having to switch between editors you could always disable the visual one via Special:Preferences.

Loading editor
    • Im just glad there isn't some kind of ethical elemant to this question, because then I would have gotten all kinds of useless remarks.

Loading editor
    • I sometimes need/like the source editor, but I prefer the visual editor.

Loading editor
    • In that case, I'm afraid I have nothing further to add. It looks like a procedure like the one Bobogoobo posted is the closest thing to the Firefox solution you're looking for. Either that, or you can bite the bullet and use a workaround that doesn't quite meet all your preferences.

Loading editor
    • Mathmagician wrote: I'm fairly certain other browsers like Firefox and Chrome don't have this option (at least, not in such a user-friendly fashion, it would require jumping through loopholes like the one Bobogoobo posted) – again, for good security reasons.

While looking for the solution I posted, I saw that Mozilla has a bug filed about the procedure; they want to have a user interface for it, but it would be difficult to implement, so I guess they haven't gotten to it yet.

Loading editor
    • Muaddib042 wrote:
      There are a few reasons why I am determined. First of all, its quick and is my perfered method, namely because I like to use my mouse as much as possible. I am switching between visual and source at the moment because I can still depend on my mouse. Second of all, I'm curious. It seems like there should be an explanation. Thirdly, when I asked the question to begin with, I was a little frustrated that people were giving me alternatives instead of just answering me, which is a pet peeve of mine (no offense to those trying to help).

I have the same problem in Firefox, Opera and Maxthon browsers, although only on one site - mail.com. other sites in same browswers cause no problem whatsoever. So I think it's the site truying to be cute (or extra annoying) rather than browser problem.

Loading editor
    • can the wiki guys themself answer the question?

Loading editor
    • 69.54.138.77 wrote:
      Muaddib042 wrote:
      I have the same problem in Firefox, Opera and Maxthon browsers, although only on one site - mail.com. other sites in same browswers cause no problem whatsoever. So I think it's the site truying to be cute (or extra annoying) rather than browser problem

After spending a day on reseraching for copy and paste . I found this post and tried copy and paste in wiki text editor in Internet explorer and worked wonders!

Thank you

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message