FANDOM

• Sorry if this has been answered but I notice that some pages in some wiki's appear to be imported from Wikipedia. This includes at least some of the edit history from there. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do that. I tried to figure it out myself but couldn't find anything.

Loading editor
    • It looks like you can use Wikipedia:Special:Export combined with any wiki's Special:Import.

Loading editor
    • Great that's exactly what I was looking for thanks.

Loading editor
    • Oh that figures, its restricted to admins....it seems that Wikia has some of the same problems as Wikipedia. Too many restrictions on allowing people to contribute and too little AGF. I guess I won't be using that tool anytime soon. :-(

Loading editor
    • Reguyla wrote: Oh that figures, its restricted to admins....it seems that Wikia has some of the same problems as Wikipedia. Too many restrictions on allowing people to contribute and too little AGF. I guess I won't be using that tool anytime soon. :-(

The tool is restricted to prevent abuse. You can easily make spam page after spam page in large batches using special:import

Loading editor
    • You can always copy the page and add attribution to Wikiapedia.

Loading editor
    • True on both comments, but that could be done anyway. If I wanted to create spam pages I could create a script that accesses the Wikia API that does that. Granted that isn't a skill that anyone in the world could do but the instructions are available and fairly clear. I guess I could also just create a new Wiki and then I would be a founder/admin. But then that's just another duplicate of an existing Wiki which seems rather pointless and wasteful. I was hoping not to copy/paste the data because then it loses the edit history (even if only the last edit) and its pretty inefficient. But I guess if that is the preferred method then that's what I'll have to do. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'm not really going to worry about it. I'm here to help, but if the tool is restricted then I can't use it and I'll do something else. I'm not really interested in running around to a dozen Wiki's and asking for the tools just to help out. If they want me to help out more and want me to have them I suspect they'll let me know. Happy editing and thanks again.

Loading editor
    • What I recommend regardless to users is to write original articles. Copies of articles from another source hurts the SEO of the wiki that copied it.

Loading editor
    • Well that's true to a point and in all honesty any article that's imported from Wikipedia would need a major review to remove redlinked templates, portals, interwiki links and other crap that doesn't apply here. Most of the ones I was looking to bring across are already pretty small, so they need a lot of improvement either way. It just gives a good starting point without having to completely recreate the wheel. Most of the ones I am looking at are for the military Wiki like ships and Medal of Honor recipients if it helps any. Sorry if I seem like a jerk. I edited Wikipedia for a long time and only recently got re-interested in Wiki stuff again and came here. My pessimism is a biproduct of dealing with the POV pushing, admin abuses, shenanigans and general A-holery of Wikipedia before I left.

Loading editor
    • What makes you sound like a jerk from that? Wikipedia has a great deal of issues and I what I always say is that they specialize in nothing and the content usually shows it.

Loading editor
    • Yeah Wikipedia has turned into a giant blog and basically a joke.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message