FANDOM


  • Hi all, on this page I noticed any templates is not rendered anymore after the section "Capitoli non ancora in formato tankōbon" and I don't uderstand the reason. Is there a limit of template calls? How can I get around it/fix it? Thanks.

      Loading editor
    • I don't think so. The only functions that are limited are:

      • {{#ifexist:}}
      • {{PAGESINCATEGORY}}/{{PAGESINCAT}}
      • {{PAGESIZE}}

      I'm not sure what the limits are on these.

        Loading editor
    • Then why the templates are not rendered properly?

        Loading editor
    • I'm not quite sure (I'm not an expert, I'm just a normal user like you). There seems to be an error message in the HTML:

      <!-- WARNING: template omitted, post-expand include size too large -->
      

      that would suggest that your original theory may be correct. I'll do a little more digging to see what this means.

        Loading editor
    • It seems like it. If you edit the section, all the templates will show, so no characters are messing up with it.

        Loading editor
    • There's something called a NewPP limit report, which apparently gives you the size of the page.

      <!-- 
      NewPP limit report
      Preprocessor node count: 39221/1000000
      Post‐expand include size: 2097152/2097152 bytes
      Template argument size: 1119679/2097152 bytes
      Expensive parser function count: 9/100
      -->
      

      As you can see, Post-expand include size meets the max size. I did some reading about this on Wikipedia (which, although not affiliated with Wikia, is based on the same software) and it seems this is put in place to prevent a DoS attack. In a DoS attack, you force the server to do too much work (in this case, process 1,000 templates) and it could slow down or crash. If possible, substitute the code directly onto the page by putting subst: in front of Nihongo: and it will put what is rendered automatically. If you want me to, I can do this for you by using a bot.

      To answer your first question (after doing all of this investigation), yes and no. Yes, in that the server won't process as much information as you would like to to, and no in that it doesn't give you a set number of templates that you can post.

        Loading editor
    • In the source code you can see this:

      <!-- 
      NewPP limit report
      Preprocessor node count: 39218/1000000
      Post‐expand include size: 2097152/2097152 bytes
      Template argument size: 1119722/2097152 bytes
      Expensive parser function count: 9/100
      -->

      Post-expand include size is the amount of code that is being transcluded by templates on the page. Getting an error means you're transcluding too much on the page. You should consider splitting it up into smaller subpages.

      Edit: whoops, didn't refresh for a while.

        Loading editor
    • I didn't fully understood the help page, aside from reducing the number of templates used is there any other workaround? The problem is that One Piece is likely to reach about 120 volumes, if that's the case that page will be twice as big. I'd like to avoid further splitting up the page... I believe the most used template there is this one, but substituting all of them will mess up the page and also will it change anything? What it counts is the size, isn't it? (insert size-joke here)

        Loading editor
    • Well, actually what counts is the amount of data that has to be returned from templates. My suggestion would be to separate the code into multiple pages. I would divide it into a page for volumes 1-10, volumes 11-20, etc. that way it would be an easier load and the page wouldn't be a few miles long.

        Loading editor
    • That's exactly what I did a long time ago...

        Loading editor
    • You'd have to keep them separate; the post-expand include size includes all forms of transclusions, not just those from the template namespace.

        Loading editor
    • Sorry, I didn't get what you mean... I separated the page like that because otherwise editing it would have been quite hard. What you think I should do?

        Loading editor
    • Just include links to those pages instead of transcluding them. That's about all you can do.

        Loading editor
    • Ugh... wait, I just got an idea: using DPL to display the subpages will get around the limit?

        Loading editor
    • DPL is for displaying page names, not the pages. The problem is that the entire page takes 10-15 seconds to load (at least for me), and that can be used to attack Wikia (by making the server overload). There's no way you can get around it, unless you either just link to the subpages or put the script directly on the page.

        Loading editor
    • Actually with DPL you can make a lot of things, like transcluding all the subpages of that page. I'm going to test it, but now that I think about it won't probably change anything since they would still cont as template calls.

      Just for the reference, do you have very long pages on your wiki or have experienced with this sort of problems before?

        Loading editor
    • With DPL, the stopper of the page rendering might still exist. It's the limit of how many templates that the Wikia server wishes to string together and output onto one page that is the problem, and it cannot be fixed by a different method that does the same action as Templates do (although I haven't heard of using DPL for displaying pages).

      As Iggyvolz and Bobogoobo said, you should have each information on different pages, and have a disambiguation page to switch from one to the next, or use DPL to link all the categorized pages together through a TOC.

      And never have very long pages.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message