FANDOM

• Dunnoob
    Dunnoob closed this thread because:
    oldid=1157954 works for me
    17:52, October 23, 2017

Hey there Dunnoob. Thanks for contributing to our help resources! I just wanted to let you know that I've redirected Help:Oasis to Help:Layout. Oasis is a term that is  sometimes used for the Wikia skin, but it's not the actual name of the skin, nor is it one that we use in any official capacity. The skin is officially referred to as Wikia, and the Help:Layout page gives a simple explanation of it with links to other components of the skin.

If you have any questions about this, just let me know. Thanks!

Loading editor
    • The name Oasis is used everywhere, including tools and categories on the Developer Wiki, or Wikipedia's page about Wikia.

I had no clue what it might be, it took me some time to figure that this is just an alias of wikia layout. Quoting Special:Preferences: <option value="oasis">Wikia</option>.

I'll restore the page for now, because other users will also wonder why Template:Monobook talked about an obscure Oasis (until I fixed it yesterday), or what the Oasis tab next to a Mobile tab in the SwitchUserSkin script published by Wikia's developers is supposed to do.

If you feel that the article isn't clear enough what the default layout is, or what it's official name is, please edit it. –Dunnoob (talk) 06:19, December 8, 2013 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • Hi. I understand where you're coming from, but Help:Oasis is not a page we want in the help section because it is not an official name that we use. It came about because it was something we used in early coding for the skin that was leaked, but it is not the actual name for the skin. Whether Wikipedia uses it is up to Wikipedians. I'm not sure why Dev Wiki uses it so frequently, but I can find out why.

So with that said, I've again redirected the page to Help:Layout. Please do not restore it again, since we have Help:Layout to overview the basics of the two skins. This week, I'll talk to our Technical Support Team about making things clearer on the Dev Wiki. Thanks.

Loading editor
    • Well, maybe Help:Oasis can be merged into Help:Monobook, or the merged article could revive Help:Skins (at the moment it redirects to Help:Layout). The most interesting part are the links, and that a search for Oasis will find it. It doesn't need its own page for this job.

Loading editor
    • I'll take a look at the links you added to Help:Oasis more in-depth on Monday, to see what/if could be added and where. I wouldn't revive Help:Skins, though; skin and layout are synonymous, hence why one redirects to the other.

Loading editor
    • From my POV the connotations are rather different. A "skin" is something simple any registered user can pick, like a "theme". A "layout" is something complex requiring advanced skills (CSS, JS, MediaWiki PHP) and elevated rights (founder, developer, admin, or similar.)

Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message