FANDOM

• As many of you are already aware, Wikia did a large technical update a couple days ago, which has (in my opinion) added some of the most annoying new features yet, one of which has thankfully been removed after only a couple hours or so if it being enabled. The most recent change that I noticed is that Wikia now has a banner programmed to appear whenever they dedect that someone is using ad-blocking software. I will admit right here right now that yes, I do use ad-blocking software, although I won't disclose the specific program I use. I know Wikia will probably indirectly antagonize me because of this and it might even get me banned, but this leads me to explain WHY I started using ad-blocking software on Wikia.

Last year, the ads on Wikia seemed to get worse and worse. But when I saw two ads for Russian dating websites, that's where I drew the line. Everyone is above seeing these types of low-standard ads if we just believe, so I installed my ad-blocking software right after seeing those specific ads. Since I have been using Wikia for over three years now and know that it used to be a better place, I think Wikia is setting a very low bar for themselves by allowing these types of ads to be run. Either do a better job of tailoring ads or we will all use ad-blocking software, although I won't stop using it just because it improves my Wikia experience, even with the new banner appearing.

Does anyone agree or disagree and why? Let's try to be civilized about this please.

Loading editor
    • I don't use ad-blocking software but I do understand why some users do. Most ads are tolerable but there are those that seem to go out of their way to be intrusive to the users' experience. I'm sure we've all experienced these ads at least once (or 100 times).

Chakor Channing wrote: ...But when I saw two ads for Russian dating websites, that's where I drew the line. [...] so I installed my ad-blocking software right after seeing those specific ads...

Did you consider using Special:Contact/bad-ad at the time?

Loading editor
    • There are so few ads when logged in that I find using an ad-blocking program pointless. Special:Contact/bad-ad, as posted above, is the appropriate response to inappropriate ads for Wikia. I would bother you too with such messages as using ad-blocking makes you a free-loader, using Wikia's free services at no benefit to them (excluding any content you might create but that doesn't keep Wikia running in the short-term).

Loading editor
    • LegendFPS wrote: I don't use ad-blocking software but I do understand why some users do. Most ads are tolerable but there are those that seem to go out of their way to be intrusive to the users' experience. I'm sure we've all experienced these ads at least once (or 100 times).

Chakor Channing wrote: ...But when I saw two ads for Russian dating websites, that's where I drew the line. [...] so I installed my ad-blocking software right after seeing those specific ads...

Did you consider using Special:Contact/bad-ad at the time?

At the time I didn't figure that contacting them on behalf of the ads would make any difference. However, I will consider it. Wikia has the potential to be a better place, and getting rid of bad low-standard ads is a first start.

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote: There are so few ads when logged in that I find using an ad-blocking program pointless. Special:Contact/bad-ad, as posted above, is the appropriate response to inappropriate ads for Wikia. I would bother you too with such messages as using ad-blocking makes you a free-loader, using Wikia's free services at no benefit to them (excluding any content you might create but that doesn't keep Wikia running in the short-term).

I experienced these ads when I was logged in. They ran down the side of article pages. As for being a free-loader, I have to ask how does Wikia benefit from me allowing to run ads when I don't give the advertisers any money or buy their products? Pardon me if I sound like a moron when I say this, but does Wikia get paid a certain amount of money by the advertisers per every view the ad gets, despite me not buying the advertisers' products?

Loading editor
    • Chakor Channing wrote:
      Pardon me if I sound like a moron when I say this, but does Wikia get paid a certain amount of money by the advertisers per every view the ad gets, despite me not buying the advertisers' products?

Ad revenue is generally based off views.

Loading editor
    • Chakor Channing wrote: ... I have to ask how does Wikia benefit from me allowing to run ads when I don't give the advertisers any money or buy their products? Pardon me if I sound like a moron when I say this, but does Wikia get paid a certain amount of money by the advertisers per every view the ad gets, despite me not buying the advertisers' products?

If the ads here function like they do on YouTube, then yes, I believe it's based on views.

Loading editor
    • Sometimes if not often, they're actually based on clicks. If you don't click an ad, it doesn't generate revenue for the site. But I don't know which model Wikia uses. It could be a combination of both as well (low default payment per view with a premium on clicks).

Loading editor
    • The adblock detection isn't solely Wikia. Messages like that are popping up on plenty of websites. I guess the advertisers finally woke up and put some pressure on websites.

I whitelisted Wikia, already had the option to show less ads enabled. It's doable, there's just ads on the main page, and I rarely go to main pages anyway.

Loading editor
    • The only problem I encounter with the ads is not really when the whole background of the wiki changes for them, but when the one in the right column of the main page changes size. It's just horrible, there's a 50/50 chance that a main page will show as expected, or totally wrecked. And, generally, when I see a wrecked main page, I don't dwell farther into the website. Even there, I don't use Adblock.

Loading editor
    • FrenchTouch wrote:
      The only problem I encounter with the ads is not really when the whole background of the wiki changes for them, but when the one in the right column of the main page changes size. It's just horrible, there's a 50/50 chance that a main page will show as expected, or totally wrecked.

This is the worst ad on Wikia (though the background ad is close). A number of wikis forget to design around the changing height of the ad (or minimize its impact) creating very long right rails unintentionally.

Loading editor
    • I've used the space on the main page to concieve a very square main page, where everything is tidied, and this ad just kills it. So, between that, and the content not showing up so you have to tell all the contributors not to panic and just purge the cache, there's really some way to have the community run off to a new horizon.

Loading editor
    • "Why I started using ad-blocking software on Wikia"

Wikia3

Ads between images in lightbox

Wikia4

ads after clicking an external link

Wikia2

ads between sections

Wikia1

ads destroying the personality of a wiki

These screenshots should be enough. Seriously, they slow down and crash the page, even on a fast computer.
        Loading editor
    • You can select "don't show all the ads" in your preferences. It removes the ads on all pages except the homepage.

Loading editor
    • I had forgot these were so destructive for readers.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, especially the main page ads are intrusive, because they quite often show a different subject/franchise than the wikis is for.

<average reader impersonation>Pokemon? I wanted roller coasters, this is useless. I'd better close this tab now without reading any more of it.</average reader impersonation>

Loading editor
    • This impersonation is pretty much what must happen everyday everywhere here. Seriously, with that many ads, if that was me, I'd probably think the whole website is just a big home for PUPs, PUMs and all sorts of adware.

Loading editor
    • sigh, having complained to staff over the memory leaks. Rappy blamed FireFox and Chrome for memory management despite receiving the standard message that "the flash player has crashed". now how does the flash player crash if the ads are not causing it in the first place? if its the ads then they need to actually check the ads for memory leaks before making them live.

without blocking the ads, you get a memory leak crash with multiple tabs open [less than 10]. this is with other website tabs open say youtube with the ads there blocked.

seeing the ads replace the entire background is really unfortunate. a lot of work went into creating some of these either by experienced editors or by the community development team.

Loading editor
    • Well, I can run multiple tabs on Newgrounds, Armor Games, and Kongregate at the same time, but can't keep up with a few Wikia pages. Firefox has problems with memory management, but this is not the only thing.

Loading editor
    • Jeremy Corbyn wrote: "Why I started using ad-blocking software on Wikia"

Wikia3

Ads between images in lightbox

Wikia4

ads after clicking an external link

Wikia2

ads between sections

Wikia1

ads destroying the personality of a wiki

These screenshots should be enough. Seriously, they slow down and crash the page, even on a fast computer.

I'll say that's enough. It's extremely sad when there have to be ads in the background, a banner at the top, an ad running down the side, and an ad in the middle. That should be considered a sign of poor business (as in companies that have that many ads clearly don't make money any other way).

Loading editor
    • I don't think so, otherwise the ad revenue must be miserable. On the MARVEL Database only, there are around 14 million visits per month. So, with all the wikis out there, I doubt that so many people use Adblock.

Loading editor
    • I use Wikia sites a lot and would gladly *pay* to use the site similar to the way that Nexus Mods does. They take a donation and your account doesn't show banners any more.

I run an ad blocking tool because ads aren't just annoying -- they are one of the primary vectors for malware. Even the major ad companies have a miserable track record at vetting the ads that pass through their sites, and I've seen "reputable" ad networkds deliver nasty payloads because they're not competent at stopping unscrupulous advertisers that use them.

If I paid $5 a year to use Wikia it would still generate more CPM revenue for the pages than if I saw ads anyway -- since I wouldn't click on an ad.

It should be an option, so we can contribute.

Loading editor
    • Nexus Mods though, has the worst memory management I've seen. I can't keep two tabs up for more than half an hour before having to kill my browser.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      You can select "don't show all the ads" in your preferences. It removes the ads on all pages except the homepage.

I only made this account so I could post the images, I now just dip in and out of Wikia so the ads are really offputting. You shouldn't have to login or use an adblocker for the website to run at an acceptable rate. It's deppressing to see people's wikis covered over by adverts like this.

If Wikia scaled the ads back to the sidebar, footer and above the article, I think that would convince more people to turn off their adblocker.

Loading editor

I was fine with text and image ads, then websites started having popups, so I blocked popups. Then websites started having autoplaying flash ads, so I disabled flash in my browser, probably before wikia even existed.

I specifically use ad-blocking on wikia to improve page loading speed, and due to all of the tracking scripts that are loaded on every page view. I've tested wikia with and without my adblocker enabled: it's faster with the adblocker enabled, therefore I enable it. Every now and then I disable my adblocker to check that wikia hasn't snuck any ads into the content area, and every time I do I notice pages load much slower.

I'm sure the revenue gained by other people viewing my content far outweighs the ad revenue lost by me not seeing the ads.

Besides which: any time I see an ad on a non-shopping website, I actively choose to avoid that product. If there are Coke ads everywhere, I will choose Pepsi. If Wikia defaces the wiki I edit with intrusive ads for another franchise: I will never play that game. So, by me not seeing the ads, the subject of the ad actually benefits, because I will only consider buying products I have not been pestered about. I was interested in seeing The Force Awakens, but due being constantly bombarded with ads everywhere, I'm no longer going to bother seeing it.

I use ublock origin, and haven't seen the anti-ad-block notice. I imagine that my custom filters and blocking whichever script they're using to show that message, so if you see the message I suggest adding these to your custom filter:

*.doubleclick.net*
      *.facebook.com/connect/*
      *.google-analytics.com*
      *.googletagservices.com*
      *.qualaroo.com*
      *.quantserve.com*
      *.scorecardresearch.com*
      *.wikia.com/__are*
      */mercury_ads_js
      */mode-css.js
      */mode-javascript.js
      */theme-solarized*.js
      */worker-css.js
      */worker-javascript.js
      *VideosModule*
      *abtesting*
      *ad_mix_experiment_js
      *bam.nr-data.net*
      *beacon.js
      *beacon.wikia-services.com*
      *community_page_entry_point_js
      *community_page_new_user_modal_js
      *connect.facebook.com*
      *connect.facebook.net*
      *controller=Optimizely*
      *ext.syntaxHighlight*
      *facebook_client_fbtags_js
      *facebook_client_xfbml_js
      *fandommetrics.com*
      *flow_tracking_create_page_js
      *getThumbImages*
      *global_footer_js
      *globalshortcuts_js
      *insights_module_js
      *jserrorslog.wikia.com/*
      *loggly.com*
      *newrelic.com*
      *optimizely.com*
      *platform.twitter.com*
      *portable_infobox_builder_template_classification_helper_js
      *portable_infobox_js
      *template_classification_in_edit_js
      *videos_module_js
      *videos_module_js*
      *visit_source_js
      *visual_editor_tour_experiment_js
      *wikia-beacon*
      *wikia_in_your_lang_js
      speed.wikia.net/*
      speed.nocookie.net/*

I forget which ones are specifically for wikia, but there may be things in this list which don't apply. Due to a recent change wikia made, one of these filters now blocks the visual editor from loading, but I don't use it anyway, so I have no reason to figure out which one it is. If you choose to use these filters, and want to use visual editor, I suggest removing lines one-by-one until visual editor loads. (Obviously the twitter and facebook domains are for blocking embedded content and aren't the source of the ad-block message, but others may like to block them anyway.)

If someone else wants to try these one-by-one to find which specific script loads the anti-ad-block nag, please share your results.

Edit: Thanks for your concern 68.41.43.52. I doubt their message is software specific, but since I haven't seen it, I haven't looked into it to find out how it works.

The best thing they could do to attempt to circumvent script blocking is to merge all their scripts into a single file - which is something they should already be doing, as it would improve loading time.

In any case, they're unable to determine the cause of half of my bug reports unless I work it out for them, so I'm confident that I'm better at playing whack-a-mole than anyone employed by Wikia.

Loading editor
    • 452 wrote:

not sure its such a great idea to tell staff which software you are using, only gives an opportunity to add that to the list for displaying said "anti ad blocker" message. too late now...

Loading editor
    • in any case, Optimizely and Nocookie are the most incriminated in the absymal pageload speeds of Wikia.

Loading editor
    • nocookie.net is Wikia's cdn. If you block nocookie, you're going to block every image in File: and every JS and CSS file loaded through ResourceLoader, including site files in MediaWiki: and personal common and skin files in User:. Good luck with that.

Loading editor
    • I'm not going to block it, it was a comment on the serious pageload issues that some Wikia pages have. See, I've even installed custom backgrounds in page elements and I've (with guilt) added some requests to Nocookie for the image files - my thoughts are as to whether my customisations have made the wiki I edit at slower.

An edit: online advertisements in their current form in general are pure cancer. They have become intrusive (see popups and website messages), malware/PUP vectoring, visually unintuitive and worstly irrelevant. How difficult is it to serve adverts in terms of their relevance to each hub?

Loading editor
    • Oh yeah, did anyone remember Wikia removing ads from communities for a relatviely small nominal monthly fee (I think it was £50 $50 monthly for a largish wiki)? I'm not sure how far back this was but I've seen this before.

EDIT: American companies deal in dollars not pounds facepalms.

Loading editor
    • I think it's still the case, ain't it?

Loading editor
    • Any concrete evidence of this would be welcome seeing as this is an option for some here. In any case, Chrome and Firefox do have a lot of memory leaks with external ad loading - but that's thanks to the terrible practice of using an iframe or nested iframes for all your ads along with JS scriptin (two limiting factors with pageload speeds as well).

Loading editor
    • I think that Uncyclopedia did pay to have no ads.

Loading editor
    • The programme that Speedit refers to was discontinued not that long after it was introduced. There was a page about it (as well as a blog) but I cannot find it.

In regards to the OP: I use adblock everywhere. The ads are the number one source of malware and they just slow down my system for no gain. My browsing experience is far better with ads blocked.

Loading editor

It appears to have been introduced in 2010, and staff were still mentioning it in 2013, so I wouldn't say "not long after it was introduced".

Ad-free wikis: We have just begun a trial program, where qualifying wikis can pay $19.95 a month to remove advertisements. To learn if your wiki qualifies, please visit our Ad free wiki page.
      ~

User_blog:Sarah_Manley/Spring_2010_Update

Ad free wikis was blanked with "This program has been suspended. Please check back later" sometime between February and July 2014, then deleted 2015-05-12, but here's an archived version.

Some comments mention there being a blog post about it, but I can't find an existing one, and the deletion log has nothing related deleted around the same time.

Loading editor
    • Yes, this is it. That horrible feeling of deja vu.

PS: 20000 pageviews a month? Small wikis exceed that on the weekly.

Loading editor
    • $239, a month? For that price, you could have your own domain, easy.

Loading editor
    • Any comment on "You May Also Like" - apparently that seemed to have hammered the pageviews for a few days on the traffic statistics.

Loading editor
    • ! wikia annoying google surveys

I suppose it's not an advetisment as such but it's extremely annoying having the first page of each wiki you visit be blocked. I bet some people will turn back without answering the survey as they don't want their data mined by Google.

Loading editor
    • Yeah, that counts as an advertisement because I'm sure Wikia gets revenue for that. I made a separate topic complaining about this. I have no idea who thought it was a smart move to literally block our wiki content unless people answer a survey or explicitly click "Skip survey" at the bottom. How many people will see that very screen and decide to turn away?

Loading editor
    • A good point is that "You May Also Like" is easily improved by moving it to the right rail where it does not obstruct the article but still commands a good position on the page.

Loading editor
    • Massive advert
      The You May Also Like isn't showing up for me anymore. However when I logged out I was treated to this rather large advert, also being an 18 it's completely unsuitable for a children's website like Club Penguin. Bear in mind also that my screen is 1280x1024 pixels, a good bit taller than your typical laptop screen.
        Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:
      Yeah, that counts as an advertisement because I'm sure Wikia gets revenue for that. I made a separate topic complaining about this. I have no idea who thought it was a smart move to literally block our wiki content unless people answer a survey or explicitly click "Skip survey" at the bottom. How many people will see that very screen and decide to turn away?

Sorry SlyCooperFan I missed that topic - I hadn't seen these surveys before today. 

Loading editor
    • Jeremy Corbyn wrote:

Massive advert
      The You May Also Like isn't showing up for me anymore. However when I logged out I was treated to this rather large advert, also being an 18 it's completely unsuitable for a children's website like Club Penguin. Bear in mind also that my screen is 1280x1024 pixels, a good bit taller than your typical laptop screen.

....that's disgusting.

Wikia Staff, where are the guys on your team who manage advertisements? This is completely out of control and someone needs to answer for this, because there is absolutely no benefit to an advertisement that big, nor is there any benefit to having a PEGI 18 advertisement on a Wikia aimed at children. Even if COPPA only deals in privacy and information-gathering, there's no reason the Club Penguin Wikia should be showing an ad for Just Cause 3. Absolutely no reason.

Loading editor
    • Doesn't that qualify as a bad ad?

Loading editor
    • It qualifies as a bad ad for its content, which I'm reporting right now at Special:Contact/bad-ad. But I want to hear a staff member answer for their bright ideas that blocking page content behind a Google survey and pushing the entire page down to show you a gigantic banner is supposed to be good for the site in some way.

Loading editor
    • Thank you

"Ads that move rapidly and continuously, flash in bright colors, or otherwise disrupt the senses so as to make the article on which it is embedded difficult to read"

From this description, I can conclude that the Google Surveys are also a bad ad, but clearly they are intentional. Would be nice to see Wikia staff respond to this as ridiculous ads seems to be a recurring theme at the moment!

Loading editor
    • Jeremy Corbyn wrote:

Would be nice to see Wikia staff respond to this as ridiculous ads seems to be a recurring theme at the moment!

This isn't just a recurring theme at the moment. Wikia websites have always been riddled with ads. They've only crossed the line just recently with the Google surveys and the forced ones on the attempted Venus theme and the current mobile theme.

Loading editor
    • Potentially Unwanted Programs: You gotta love 'em.

Loading editor

Jeremy Corbyn wrote:

Massive advert

Well that's unfortunate.

I was really looking forward to Just Cause 3, but now that I know that they have defaced a wiki with a huge banner ad, I can no longer pay for this game in good conscience.

Advertising is like rain. We need a moderate amount of both, but too much of either is a very bad thing.

SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

there's no reason the Club Penguin Wikia should be showing an ad for Just Cause 3. Absolutely no reason.

The reason is $$$.

The weird thing is that someone at Just Cause's publisher thought that both advertising to Club Penguin fans, and annoying them by by making them scroll down were good ideas that was worth paying for.

edit:

452 revised:

The weird thing is that someone thought that both advertising to Club Penguin fans, and annoying them by by making them scroll down were good ideas that were worth paying for.
      Regardless of the details, at the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the company to ensure that the people they are paying to advertise the product are representing the brand in a way they are okay with.

It's not reasonable to absolve Square Enix's responsibility due to the involvement of a third party.

Square Enix has paid money to someone which has resulted in these ads being displayed, which means Square Enix tacitly approves of them, even if Mr. Enix himself has never seen the specific ads.

Loading editor
    • The publishers don't choose the wiki their ads are on. If they did, I'm pretty sure that advertise it on the Just Cause Wiki, it would be much more efficient and almost make sense.

Loading editor
    • FrenchTouch wrote: The publishers don't choose the wiki their ads are on. If they did, I'm pretty sure that advertise it on the Just Cause Wiki, it would be much more efficient and almost make sense.

Exactly! The only time I ever saw Wikia or an advertiser do a good job at tailoring an ad was three years ago when I saw Spirit Halloween advertising on the Halloween Wiki. I haven't seen a single sensible ad since.

Loading editor
    • FrenchTouch wrote: Potentially Unwanted Programs: You gotta love 'em.

Jesus, if I have to install Malwarebytes one more time I will rage until the thing is goddamn fixed and sue the advertisement provider.

Loading editor
    • @Speedy, I don't take no shapoopi, I've installed it long ago and it served me well with the ads here.

@Chaky, Some say they are still watching over the ads, to this day.

Loading editor
    • 452 wrote:
      The weird thing is that someone at Just Cause's publisher thought that both advertising to Club Penguin fans, and annoying them by by making them scroll down were good ideas that was worth paying for.
      • Companies (like the game publisher) that want to advertize usually hire ad agencies. Small companies may do ads themselves and skip the ad agency.
      • Ad agencies place ads with advertizing exchanges (like Google ads, etc.)
      • Web sites (like Wikia) contract with ad exchanges to collect money for ads displayed and (possibly) clicked.

So there are parties between companies that advertize and the ad you see on the web. It's unlikely Wikia has any contact at all with the companies whose ads display here. Wikia OTOH has complete control over what kind of ads it gets from the exchange. So if there's a full-page gaming ad, it's almost a sure bet it's there because Wikia wants revenue for displaying it and for people clicking on it.

Loading editor
    • I contacted Wikia Support about the Google surveys. This was the response, from BertH:

The Google survey program is something we're testing out right now. It's specific to users running adblockers, who don't see any of the other advertisements on Wikia.

Wikia is a free-to-use service that is able to run due to advertising. You can disable your adblocker while on Wikia, or whitelist wikia.com in the adblocker, if you don't wish to continue seeing the surveys. You also won't see the surveys if you are logged in.

That being said, I also reported the Just Cause 3 ad on the Club Penguin wiki, and they're going to look into that one as well as other targeting issues similar to that.

Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote: I contacted Wikia Support about the Google surveys. This was the response, from BertH:

The Google survey program is something we're testing out right now. It's specific to users running adblockers, who don't see any of the other advertisements on Wikia.

Wikia is a free-to-use service that is able to run due to advertising. You can disable your adblocker while on Wikia, or whitelist wikia.com in the adblocker, if you don't wish to continue seeing the surveys. You also won't see the surveys if you are logged in.

That being said, I also reported the Just Cause 3 ad on the Club Penguin wiki, and they're going to look into that one as well as other targeting issues similar to that.

I haven't seen this survey yet. But if I do, I won't be filling out any survey of the likes of Google.

Loading editor
    • Frankly, if you use an Adblock on Wikia with an account and its not because your computer is a potato, then you probably deserve the survey (as much as I hate those things). Ads are only served on the mainpage and tbh, you only need the content on other pages to appear unobstructed as an editor.

Loading editor
    • This doesn't make sense. The editors don't matter as much as the readers. And if the readers can't have an acceptable experience, then the whole thing is a mess, and this isn't facultative.

Loading editor
    • FrenchTouch wrote: This doesn't make sense. The editors don't matter as much as the readers. And if the readers can't have an acceptable experience, then the whole thing is a mess, and this isn't facultative.

This is why I have worries about how advertisements may evolve on Wikia. To be fair, editors do not have a reason to use Adblock in general on pages that actually do not have ads as there are zero ads to block - which is thus 99%+ pages on the domain. But I'm not impressed by the people who leave the adblocker on for no reason and its possible to deactivate Flash for the domain if that's the issue.

Knowing that the anonymous readers are getting served tabloid trash on all the pages (these magazines also have zero respect in Britian and everyone in my uni laughs at them) is pretty bad. Especially considering that it directly obstructs the "Read more" section and thus decreases the pageviews across the site (and Wikia's CPM revenue). Or convinces users to delist Wikia on their adblocker.

This is the only way I can explain the sudden decrease in pageviews to 75% on a Thursday, followed by a sudden boost to 110% compared to what it was before. Acceptable Ads please.

Loading editor
    • Well according to Wikia, I am a Member of the Royal Family, have a taste for redheads and like to invest in small-time portfolios while stroking my gold-plated watch.

I don't even know what to say anymore. -_-

Loading editor
    • I do not see ads very often, I'm not sure if it's because I use Google Chrome, or because I only view a few wiki's sporadically. I have never seen any ads, and I will consider using a ad blocker, of course.

Loading editor
    • If you're logged in, there's an option to remove most ads. It will just leave the ads on the main page, and if that's not your landing page, you can go for days without seeing a main page.

Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:
      If you're logged in, there's an option to remove most ads. It will just leave the ads on the main page, and if that's not your landing page, you can go for days without seeing a main page.

I usually land on all the mainpages, it's the first place I go before determing "Should I join this wiki"?

Loading editor
    • Most wikis keep the mainpage well-maintained as well as a priority - as opposed to Special:WikiActivity and Project:Community_Portal which are left vanilla on some communities.

As a note, the ads are voted for by users reading but that is showing to have mixed results as the creator of the ad program notes here. [1]

PS: Did I mention that I also own a free S6 from a website? Because royals are also cheapskates and the agency Wikia uses has excellent ad filtering.

Loading editor
    • For anyone interested in Wikia's current ad sales, you can check out http://www.wikia.com/mediakit.

Some of the available ads purposefully block content from being viewed, especially Scrollstitial. All of them in some way or another provide an abhorrent mess that invades on content space, and distracts the viewer. Never mind the performance impact and "I'll find this information somewhere I'm not assaulted by ads" impact it undoubtedly leaves on 99% of readers.

Don't feel bad about blocking them.

Loading editor
    • Taboola's widget had officially replaced the Read More section as of Thursday 10th 2015. But editors are still served the module so we were essentially duped into believing that all readers are served the module when this was not the case. This was not included in Wikia's Technical Updates either. Log out and check the bottom of an article on your wiki. It will have no "Read more" module.

EDIT#1: Unless this was a glitch. I'm doubting that very strongly tho.
      EDIT#2: Lol at "XL Video Pushdown" @http://www.wikia.com/mediakit.

Loading editor
    • Speedit, I'm not sure what you're talking about. The "Read More" section at the bottom of articles, below the page's comments, is still there for me. I even paused AdBlock and it's still there.

Loading editor
    • Were you logged in? ... The layout changed for anonymous readers.

Loading editor
    • Ah, I see it now. Yeah, Taboola has replaced the Read More links regardless of AdBlock being on or off.

Wikia, why are you screwing this up more and more? Why are you antagonizing people who view our wikis for not being logged in?

Loading editor
    • This has reached a new level of backward and philistine website programming - where the serving of advertisements has superceded the navigation and accessibility of the site. A very unproffesional and backward developement which stinks of incompetency.

If Wikia wants to commit hara-kiri with its pageviews and its CPM then carry the hell on because a great job is being done already. If people aren't actually navigating the site, then how the flying fish are the ads sold and the content of the contributors served?

Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote: This has reached a new level of backward and philistine website programming - where the serving of advertisements has superceded the navigation and accessibility of the site. A very unproffesional and backward developement which stinks of incompetency.

If Wikia wants to commit hara-kiri with its pageviews and its CPM then carry the hell on because a great job is being done already. If people aren't actually navigating the site, then how the flying fish are the ads sold and the content of the contributors served?

Exactly! I would rather Wikia go out of business than continue with such poor ad tailoring and site design. If Wikia and its fans don't want to start paying to use Wikia in exchange for seeing no ads, then clearly there aren't that many truly dedicated Wikia fans. And then some people want to talk about being a freeloader...

Loading editor
    • OK, I'm gonna go for a Special:Contact/bug, in the interest of either getting this fixed or confirming that its not a bug.

Loading editor
    • The staff have already responded to my request (TIL BertH is a ninja?) and its on the Product Team's list for next week seeing as everyone's on a well-deserved holiday. It seems like the missing module was a collateral of the rearrangements made for the advertisement update - and there's more coming up next week. I think I remember suggesting that the module be moved to the right of the rail where its less obstructive - I think that happened on a mixed basis with the other advertisement schemes they've got up so I've got my fingers crossed here.

Loading editor
    • Every year, wikia increases the number and obtrusiveness of their in-page ads a lot on Christmas, just for that period.

Don't be so innocent to think they just made some rearrangements prior to their well-deserved holiday, and something went wrong which caused more ads to be present on pages. That's totally intentional. See for example, User blog:Ciencia Al Poder/December update - New ad formats for your visitors, quoting Sannse: the end of the year is always a heavier time for ads

Loading editor
    • "The end of the year is always a heavier time for ads." It is, and to be very honest with you, I don't doubt that any issues with adverising changes are coincidental - its just that none of the updates rolled before the start of December when the Mediawiki namespace went read-only, the Verbatim extension got shuttered and there was a lot to be done. It also seems like any advertisement updates are usually scheduled twice yearly for this time and the summer in general.

At the end of the day, Wikia wouldn't get money if they ran zero ads - but responsible and layout-separate from the article is what should be the case unless bad engineering is at fault. On top of that, any feature that directly hinders existing navigation for ad implementation is not to the site's benefit in any way (like rollover ads vs. wikilinks and content-reccomendation adverts vs. categorical navigation). I'm just unhappy that this update hammered my wiki to -20% the estimated traffic. It's when a new ad update results in 5 less pageviews from every visitor and lost revenue WITH more ads served when I draw the bloody line.

And we wonder why the founder of the Internet named advertisements in their current form as "Internet's Original Sin". Navigation is a necessary benefit while advertisements are a necessary burden - it would thus make sense to prioritise navigation over advertising.

Loading editor
    • It's now back - for whitelisted adblocker users only. Any anons not whitelisted on Wikia get the module removed from the page along with any of the advertisements described only for Taboola ads to appear - seems like Wikia are stepping up their game against adblockers.

Anyone know how to make a message above the article mainspace's comment section to encourage making an account and whitelisting Wikia?

Loading editor
    • Javascript would be the only way for the Oasis skin. Monobook can just use the header message system, though I can't recall the MediaWiki page for it atm.

Loading editor
    • There is MediaWiki:Oasis-comment-header - its not on the whitelist though.

Loading editor
    • For monobook it's MediaWiki:Anonnotice (for anons) and MediaWiki:Sitenotice. Anons normally won't get monobook unless you give them links with useskin=monobook in the URL

Loading editor
    • Leaving Wikia is always an optionBang Smiley

--AStranger195 (talkcontribsguestbook) 12:02, December 29, 2015 (UTC)

Edit: I replaced 20px with x20px, which was what I intended to type.

Loading editor
    • Speedit wrote:
      It's now back - for whitelisted adblocker users only. Any anons not whitelisted on Wikia get the module removed from the page along with any of the advertisements described only for Taboola ads to appear - seems like Wikia are stepping up their game against adblockers.

Anyone know how to make a message above the article mainspace's comment section to encourage making an account and whitelisting Wikia?

I don't see this Taboola thing at all, adblock or no adblock. And do you really think Wikia deserves to be whitelisted considering how restrictive they are and obtrusive with their adverts?

@AStranger195  It's quite difficult for one to simply leave wikia when the wiki they are passionate about is hosted by Wikia.

I'm pretty sure I once wanted to put a sitenotice on Oasis but was told it was against the ToU.

Loading editor
    • @87.115.122.110: Editing the interface of Oasis (including editing it to transclude MediaWiki:Sitenotice and MediaWiki:Anonnotice) is against the ToU... I think.

Anyway, this is what they can do: forking.

Loading editor
    • 87.115.122.110 wrote:

Speedit wrote: ...

I don't see this Taboola thing at all, adblock or no adblock. And do you really think Wikia deserves to be whitelisted considering how restrictive they are and obtrusive with their adverts?

@AStranger195  It's quite difficult for one to simply leave wikia when the wiki they are passionate about is hosted by Wikia.

I'm pretty sure I once wanted to put a sitenotice on Oasis but was told it was against the ToU.

Dunno about whether they deserve whitelisting absolutely - that's why I'm gonna also highlight making an account. I remember roaming Wikia without a login (specifically Narutopedia) for years as an anon - and I suffer with a horrible ISP so loading times were quite painful upon entering the site). Have you tried disabling Flash on Wikia if your computer is a potato? If you do that, it's better than blocking every single ad and less absolute as well. Videos will use HTML5 if necessary.

PS: It makes sense that most people are anonymous for privacy reasons, a one-time perusal or legitimate technical issues with making an account. That I'm cool with - I just want other regular readers to login and hopefully ease them into what is actually the least-demanding usage of the Wikia site for the browser's memory or CPU hog (specifically logging in and whitelisting).

Loading editor
    • I block ads. They get around it I block them again. They burry something in the page I then write a script to scoop it out or simply blacklist the site using another tool so all I see is a white page and I know to move on. They're not getting my ad revenue, they don't get to shove ads in my face, they get to come groveling to me for the crumbs that I give them. If they're good I join, I give my time, and possibly my money. They have zero right to any of it until I say so though. I don't care if they go out of business or lay people off it just means they weren't good enough to keep me. I honestly think most people are the same.

My life is finite. Yours is too. Don't waste time on people who decide to waste yours for you.

Loading editor
    • Precisely! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Loading editor
    • MY BROWSER CRASH IN ONE MINUTE AFTER I OPEN A WIKIA PAGE WITHOUT AD BLOCK AND NOW MY AD BLOCK IS DETECTED BY WIKIA SO I END UP CAN READ NOTHING.

I WANT TO SUPPORT YOU BY ALLOWING ADS BUT 60 ADS IS OVERWHELMING AND SIMPLY TOOOOOO GREEDY.

I WONT ALLOW ADS ON WIKIA UNTILL IT CHANGES OWNER BECAUSE I AM TILTED.

and i know you dont give a shxt to one single user.

Loading editor
    • As an admin who has to deal with the garbage anonymous users vandalize my wikis with, if ads drive anons away, then good. Ads driving registered users away is bad, but anons who complain can stuff it. We only allow anons to edit on WoWWiki, because the community (the registered part) wanted to allow it. If I had my choice, anon edits would be disallowed like they were for most of WoWWiki's existence.

Loading editor
    • There are many people who can't be bothered making an account/logging in, or want to try editing before making an account that you will lose if you block anonymous users from editing. The post above yours is obviously a troll, however I have seen many more sensible posts from anonymous users complaining about the ads.

It's very easy to revert vandalism. It's not easy to attract editors, especially those put off by creating an account

Loading editor
    • Talking about wowwiki, I can't explain it better than this video: https://youtu.be/x94jOMMIGJM (note that I did this with flash disabled, so I probably see less flashy ads than usual)

Loading editor
    • Ciencia Al Poder wrote: Talking about wowwiki, I can't explain it better than this video: https://youtu.be/x94jOMMIGJM (note that I did this with flash disabled, so I probably see less flashy ads than usual)

Again, this video is the anon experience. Tough sh!t.

Loading editor
    • 80.229.116.230 wrote: There are many people who can't be bothered making an account/logging in, or want to try editing before making an account that you will lose if you block anonymous users from editing. The post above yours is obviously a troll, however I have seen many more sensible posts from anonymous users complaining about the ads.

It's very easy to revert vandalism. It's not easy to attract editors, especially those put off by creating an account

Said the anonymous coward. If it's so easy to revert vandalism, why don't you go around and do it for us?

Loading editor
    • Great, one of the wikis I visit regularly detects my adblocker while I can access all others. Why?

Loading editor
    • Since Wikia is determined to become even more cancerous and stop people from using the sites altogether if they're running adblock, and redirect people that try to block the anti-adblock elements, I thought I'd leave a little bit of info for people here as a giant 'screw you'. Just disable javascript on wikia sites, and none of their crap can work.

Loading editor
    • 80.193.2.154 wrote: Since Wikia is determined to become even more cancerous and stop people from using the sites altogether if they're running adblock, and redirect people that try to block the anti-adblock elements, I thought I'd leave a little bit of info for people here as a giant 'screw you'. Just disable javascript on wikia sites, and none of their crap can work.

Firstly, I don't think you have to say "Scew you" towards anyone at all.

Secondly, disabling JavaScript is not the best idea. There are a lot of features around Wikia that rely on JavaScript for them to work. If JavaScript is disabled, then the features that rely on it will refuse to function well.

FANMADE Pinkie Pie jumping Pinkgirl234 Message Wall Element of Laughter05:40, December 20, 2016 (UTC)

Loading editor
    • I'm sorry then. I'd rather deal with minor inconveniences like that than see advertisements again.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

Ciencia Al Poder wrote: Talking about wowwiki, I can't explain it better than this video: https://youtu.be/x94jOMMIGJM (note that I did this with flash disabled, so I probably see less flashy ads than usual)

This Tough sh!t anon experience is what the 99% of the visitors of wowwiki (and every other wiki) get. Basically, the target audience of your edits. Of course they're free to seek the information somewhere else.

Loading editor
    • Certain features not working is better than ridiculously intrusive, obnoxious scummy 'DISABLE THIS THING' notifications that completely prevent people from using the site. At least a slightly not-working and accessible site is better than a completely inaccessible one.

Loading editor
    • Can't wikia try doing what Wikipedia does? They ask for donations to keep it running ad-free. From experience on other non-wikia sites, ads just get in the way of me trying to get the information I need. It is money-making nuisance. I very very rarely ever click ads. I wonder how many of our readers here on the wikis actually click on the ads or are put off by the ads and never come back?

Loading editor
    • AChildOfGod wrote: Can't wikia try doing what Wikipedia does? They ask for donations to keep it running ad-free. From experience on other non-wikia sites, ads just get in the way of me trying to get the information I need. It is money-making nuisance. I very very rarely ever click ads. I wonder how many of our readers here on the wikis actually click on the ads or are put off by the ads and never come back?

Wikipedia's giant asking for money banner is exactly why Wikia can't go that route. It doesn't work.

Loading editor
    • Ciencia Al Poder wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

Ciencia Al Poder wrote: Talking about wowwiki, I can't explain it better than this video: https://youtu.be/x94jOMMIGJM (note that I did this with flash disabled, so I probably see less flashy ads than usual)

This Tough sh!t anon experience is what the 99% of the visitors of wowwiki (and every other wiki) get. Basically, the target audience of your edits. Of course they're free to seek the information somewhere else.

I don't like the anon experience either, but anons won't get Wikia's ear and anons won't stop vandalizing. Registered users need to put pressure on Wikia directly, even if they think Wikia isn't listening. Wikia is listening, but they need a tangible threat.

A better course of protest would be to get admins of major wikis to post banners or change wordmarks in protest of Wikia's horrible advertising experience. Anything short of that is likely to do nothing.

Loading editor
    • Fandyllic wrote:

80.229.116.230 wrote: There are many people who can't be bothered making an account/logging in, or want to try editing before making an account that you will lose if you block anonymous users from editing. The post above yours is obviously a troll, however I have seen many more sensible posts from anonymous users complaining about the ads.

Said the anonymous coward. If it's so easy to revert vandalism, why don't you go around and do it for us?

Umm because I have my own wikis to manage. You're the admin. 

Fandyllic, if you cared about making a stand against Wikia, you would have moved to Wowpedia by now. If you keep up the "tough shit" attitude, your anonymous users (and new editors) may move instead.

Loading editor
    • 80.193.2.154 wrote:
      Certain features not working is better than ridiculously intrusive, obnoxious scummy 'DISABLE THIS THING' notifications that completely prevent people from using the site. At least a slightly not-working and accessible site is better than a completely inaccessible one.

I use a mobile and desktop adblocker and havn't been asked to disable it

Loading editor
    • 80.229.116.230 wrote: Umm because I have my own wikis to manage. You're the admin. 

If you have your "own wikis to manage", why aren't you logged in now? It is easier to manage wikis when you have an account, so you should get an account if you don't have one. However, if you do have an account, it is pointless to have it if you aren't even going to log into it.

Loading editor
    • AChildOfGod wrote:

80.229.116.230 wrote: Umm because I have my own wikis to manage. You're the admin. 

If you have your "own wikis to manage", why aren't you logged in now? It is easier to manage wikis when you have an account, so you should get an account if you don't have one. However, if you do have an account, it is pointless to have it if you aren't even going to log into it.

I don't edit Wikia wikis, just other wikis. However the vision of a wikihost that is actually good still interests me, so I still check this site sometimes in the hope Wikia may get better

Loading editor
    • 80.229.116.230 wrote:

AChildOfGod wrote:

80.229.116.230 wrote: Umm because I have my own wikis to manage. You're the admin. 

I don't edit Wikia wikis, just other wikis. However the vision of a wikihost that is actually good still interests me, so I still check this site sometimes in the hope Wikia may get better

Interesting.

Loading editor
    • AChildOfGod wrote:

80.229.116.230 wrote:

AChildOfGod wrote:

Interesting.

Yep, goodbye

Loading editor
    • 80.229.116.230 wrote:

Fandyllic wrote:

80.229.116.230 wrote: There are many people who can't be bothered making an account/logging in, or want to try editing before making an account that you will lose if you block anonymous users from editing. The post above yours is obviously a troll, however I have seen many more sensible posts from anonymous users complaining about the ads.

Umm because I have my own wikis to manage. You're the admin. 

Fandyllic, if you cared about making a stand against Wikia, you would have moved to Wowpedia by now. If you keep up the "tough shit" attitude, your anonymous users (and new editors) may move instead.

I did move to Wowpedia, but if you think Wikia is bad, Curse isn't better, so I came back. Wowpedia is a very good wiki and I have nothing against people going there instead. I don't stay with Wikia because of the corporate side, I stay for the very cool other admins and users that work on Wikia wikis.

I want Wikia to get better, but I'm not going to agree with them if they do BS. I still think the Wikia community needs experienced admins who aren't too inside their system as to be co-opted. I've looked around quite a bit and Wikia is still the best option.

Loading editor
    • If they get rid of the giant ads and the Flash-based ads, I'll like Wikia 50% better. Keep the site usable. Those two things make it unusable.

Loading editor
    • AdmiralMemo wrote:
      If they get rid of the giant ads and the Flash-based ads, I'll like Wikia 50% better. Keep the site usable. Those two things make it unusable.

Seriously. I had two pages open and the Java ads on one of them made the entire page crash and made my browser slow down.

Loading editor
    • 69.21.225.29 wrote:
      AdmiralMemo wrote:
      If they get rid of the giant ads and the Flash-based ads, I'll like Wikia 50% better. Keep the site usable. Those two things make it unusable.
      Seriously. I had two pages open and the Java ads on one of them made the entire page crash and made my browser slow down.

Meant Flash, not Java. Derp

Loading editor
    • I came here to say this. I usually do disable adblockers on sites I specifically want to support, but the background ads crash my browser every single time, it is just not possible to use wikia sites with those enabled. And now, at least for me on Edge, the 'disable your adblock software' message can't be gotten rid of either. So I'm screwed either way and I guess I just won't be using these sites anymore.

Loading editor
    • I find that using private browsing on firefox, with tracking protection enabled, blocks pretty much all ads

Loading editor
    • I disabled Adblock for Wikia for about a week until I got completely fucking fed up with the way ads would ruin the reading experience of a page by drastically altering it's size (we're talking paragraphs squashed into two or three words per line) or cause my entire browser to crash (this happened enough times to really infuriate me), even working on a pretty decent gaming rig. At that point, I decided it's not my job to police bad ads, they can suffer without my ad revenue, and re-enabled adblock.

Now they're hitting me with the "We notice you use an adblock program" popup and after so many of those, they remove the X that allows you to exit out of the window until you delete your Wikia cookies to restart the counter. I will of course find a workaround for this as well.

Wikia, if you want ad revenue, you better get to work and fix your shitty ads that are ruining the experience and crashing peoples browsers. If your site is CRASHING BROWSERS from it's ads, why would we want to support the site via ad revenue? We wouldn't, and we won't. Get with the program. Fix your shit, or adblock we will.

Loading editor
    • Ads on these sites are intolerable.  I'm trying (to go without blocking) but it's brutal.  I don't think I've ever had a site crash out Chrome before but the ads on these pages have run it out of memory a few times now and even when they don't the onslaught of horrific ads makes the pages hideous and perform like crap.

I've been on the subnautica wiki the most lately and with ad blocking the site is attractive, informative, and runs smooth as silk.  Enable ads and it turns into a stinking cesspool of clutter, glitz, and looks and runs like crap.

Using ads can be done without being completely and utterly obnoxious and I allow ads on some other sites I visit that don't make the content secondary to the advertising, which is what these fandom/wikia sites are like with ads on.  There was some VR ad that literally took up 2/3 of the screen (at 1920x1080) which is absolutely not acceptable.

Some games have more than one wiki out there and I assure you that I'd rather not use fandom/wikia with ads enabled or ad blocking policed.

I'd gladly pay a reasonable yearly fee for a quality resource rather than suffer thru advertising and I can't believe there's enough ad revenue per user that makes it worth ruining your site and content.

Loading editor
    • Voqar wrote: Ads on these sites are intolerable.  I'm trying (to go without blocking) but it's brutal.  I don't think I've ever had a site crash out Chrome before but the ads on these pages have run it out of memory a few times now and even when they don't the onslaught of horrific ads makes the pages hideous and perform like crap.

I've been on the subnautica wiki the most lately and with ad blocking the site is attractive, informative, and runs smooth as silk.  Enable ads and it turns into a stinking cesspool of clutter, glitz, and looks and runs like crap.

Using ads can be done without being completely and utterly obnoxious and I allow ads on some other sites I visit that don't make the content secondary to the advertising, which is what these fandom/wikia sites are like with ads on.  There was some VR ad that literally took up 2/3 of the screen (at 1920x1080) which is absolutely not acceptable.

Some games have more than one wiki out there and I assure you that I'd rather not use fandom/wikia with ads enabled or ad blocking policed.

I'd gladly pay a reasonable yearly fee for a quality resource rather than suffer thru advertising and I can't believe there's enough ad revenue per user that makes it worth ruining your site and content.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Agreed on all fronts.

Loading editor
    • 80.229.116.230 wrote:

80.193.2.154 wrote:
      Certain features not working is better than ridiculously intrusive, obnoxious scummy 'DISABLE THIS THING' notifications that completely prevent people from using the site. At least a slightly not-working and accessible site is better than a completely inaccessible one.

I use a mobile and desktop adblocker and havn't been asked to disable it

How would they ask you? You're an anon!

Loading editor
    • Voqar wrote: Ads on these sites are intolerable.  I'm trying (to go without blocking) but it's brutal.  I don't think I've ever had a site crash out Chrome before but the ads on these pages have run it out of memory a few times now and even when they don't the onslaught of horrific ads makes the pages hideous and perform like crap.

Tell it to Special:Contact/feedback, unless you're just venting.

Loading editor
    • I stand by my original comment that adblock logged-in is pointless, but holy cow, as an anonymous user I'm not sure I can stick by that. Got logged out a day or two ago and the wiki's articles were an ad jungle-gym that loaded terribly slow (not an Internet problem either). I'm honestly surprised so many people consider using Wikia (or they are mostly using adblock!).

Loading editor
    • DEmersonJMFM wrote:
      I stand by my original comment that adblock logged-in is pointless, but holy cow, as an anonymous user I'm not sure I can stick by that. Got logged out a day or two ago and the wiki's articles were an ad jungle-gym that loaded terribly slow (not an Internet problem either). I'm honestly surprised so many people consider using Wikia (or they are mostly using adblock!).

This was something glaringly obvious that was staring me in the face yet it took reading your post to realise.

Browsing the wikis was becoming increasingly painful with the adds being pretty intrusive and resource hungry (not entering the discussion on whether that is down to the browser, the adds, neither, both or something completely else) and my first search for a more streamlined way to browse the site led me to this thread.

I must say once you create an account and log in the experience improves considerably, at least on desktop/laptop, on Android is still a quagmire (mobile ads take obnoxious and intrusive to a whole new level.)

Loading editor
    • I keep getting the "disable adblocker" banner on the Wii U.  Situation?  The Wii U doesn't HAVE an adblocker.  It just has a poorly designed browser, so I don't naturally get the ads in the first place.  I might on the computer and phone, though.

Loading editor
    • You shouldn't disable all ads, or Wikia would either go bankrupt or cost money.

Loading editor
    • Disabling the ads the break the site is pretty vital, though.

Loading editor
    • i have an adblock but it is kinda pointless here

Loading editor
    • Ads should remain on Wikia but not be incessant or sexually explicit.

Loading editor
    • I would like to point out that the original post is 20 months old at this point and some of the more recent posts don't really add any useful information. That being said, I have the following replies.

Wikia has/is improving the ad experience as part of the modernization effort. You can read about it on this blog.

The likely reason you are experiencing this issue is that the Nintendo WiiU uses NetFront Browser NX. This is a rather obscure browser and is definitely not on the list of supported browsers.

Loading editor
    • The truth is that Adblock, Adblock plus and UBlock and every anti-ads plugins/software out there are not blocking ads, they are blocking your browser from accessing remove accessed content that are not hosted on the page nor server you're viewing.

There's an really easy way to keep advertisement on your website even for users who uses anti-ads plugins/software: Integrate your own advertisement system into your site archistructure and make it so that it's not loaded from an easy-to-guess link. For example, don't put every ads behind something like wikia.ads.XXXX as this is just too easy to guess. Instead, having something, having something like wikia.com/wiki/ASh2ahjksdh2 for the source of an add should not be blocked.

Now, the reason why almost nobody is doing this is because they don't want to invest in this methods while someone offers a easier and faster methods that can be blocked by anti-ads. They all use APIs that does everything automatically and that's the really bad thing to do.

There are 2 reasons why most started using Anti-Ads plugin/software:

1) Intrusive advertisement which destroy the user's experience from "pleasant" to "a real pain in the butt". Those includes ads that opens pop-up automatically, ads that enlarge, play a video or hide content on the page and even some that change the current page for another (those are the worse as you want to check some information and as the page load, it change to another unrelated page you never wanted to visit.)

2) Threatening advertisement which contains virus, trojan, key-loggers and even WIFI flash script. Basically, with the raise of the Online advertising popularity in the end of the 90's and early 00's, the companies that manages the ads in their servers (which are unrelated to the websites that use the API to load them remotely) started to make things a lot automatic. Instead of having a real person to check for an ads integrity and make sure it's not some scam or infected ads, they started to use bots to do the job. Some don't even uses bots, but instead do a primary scan with a Anti-virus which doesn't load and scan anything remotely accessible in the ads.

Those infected ads might not be numberous (like 0.01% of the ads stored), but whenever someone has that ads appearing and if it's well made it's one user that gets infected with crap that can really destroy his or her week... or even professional life depending on what has to be done with his/her PC afterward.  That's like a bad lottery ticked that, when you win, you got some nasty PC diseases to fix or even have to pay someone else to fix. It's not even something that is related to the website you visit anymore, but instead related to the company that host the advertisement and that's something you can't check before it's too late. It's not like you got a warning on a page that tells you "Our ads are hosted by XXXX. Do you accept these or do you want ads hosted by another company?" That's because websites like wikia and pretty much every websites with high traffic rate in the world uses the Ads hosts that offers the best revenus over said traffics... even if it comes with a small risk for a small % of their users.

The only reason why websites couldn't make their own advertisement system integrated into their structure without using remote access to ads hosts is because their traffic would be too small to be able to attract companies to pay to have their ads displayed. That's not the case with websites like Wikia.com. There are companies that would be willing to pay a good amount to have their ads priorized and managed on the right Wikia's pages instead of just appearing randomly everywhere.

Loading editor
    • I don't think you'd get blocked from Wikia for using an ad blocker. If so, that ain't right.

Loading editor
    • You don't

Loading editor
    • You won't get in trouble if you use a personal ad blocker. However, sometimes they cause issues with actual content. Additionally, Wikia does have (at least in the past; I haven't heard of any recent cases) a routine that may detect your ad blocker and prevent you from viewing content until the ad blocker is disabled.

the real issue is when communities try to hide ads for all viewers. That is a policy violation and Wikia is definitely more likely to take action on that.

Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message