Community Central
Community Central

Welcome[]

CentralWikiLogo

Welcome to Central Wikia, Acer4666!

We're a friendly community here; most of us are active on an individual wiki, and many of us are active on more than one.

If you're looking for help, a help wiki can be found here, and you're welcome to ask the community questions on the Help Desk. If you need assistance from a staff member, you can contact the Community Team using Special:Contact.

You can get live help from community members and staff in our IRC channel. There are also channels for larger Wikia and their communities. Here you can socialize and get to know your community!

If you have an idea for a new wiki, please create one! Check out our list of new wikis and see if any of them interest you. A directory of existing wikis is also available.

Finally, please keep an eye on the recent changes to see what the community is up to here.

Enjoy! -- Kirkburn (Talk) 13:29, 29 July 2009

Page header bar[]

Hi Acer, I've found the problem. The piece of code before this one has not been closed (There is no } at the end). Add the }, then replace the original code I gave you with this one:

.WikiaPageHeader { border-bottom: 1px solid #D9D9D9; margin-bottom: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px;}

That should sort it for you.    ǝsʞpɐןǝ  (message wall)  15:22, 3/05/2011

Re: Thank you[]

You're welcome :) -- Porter21 (talk) 10:50, June 1, 2011 (UTC)

I am not really sure what you are talking about. Please elaborate. --JW Talk 12:59, July 19, 2011 (UTC)

Gaming the games[]

To reply to your message on User talk:Jirachiwish:

I'd say there's a benefit to giving motivation via a system of goals and awards, even if those systems can be gamed by pointless edits. I've always been proud of my Wikipedia edit count, but could have built that count with bad edits. Of course, I would have quickly been banned if those edits were not genuine, just as can happen here if someone tries to play the system. I see badges as an extension of an edit count or my list of featured articles/images on Uncyclopedia.

The ideal for me is a system that rewards good editing, to help motivate more people who have good things to add... and also a social system that stops those that try to game it by adding bad or pointless things. Better still would be a system that could see the difference between the two automatically... but, of course, fixing a typo and adding an unnecessary space can look the same to an automatic system. But in general, giving encouragement, feedback, and credit for building a wiki can work well as a motivator for contributors. Or it might not work for your wiki, in which case it can be turned off.

The image attribution isn't intended to be a motivator btw, the intention there is for the link to help show visitors that this is a site that various people have built, rather than something created by "Wikia" or "the game company". But again, if it doesn't work for your wiki it can be turned off on request. -- sannse WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 22:46, July 19, 2011 (UTC)

Just to let you know the situation, Bleach Wiki, the wiki where Jirachiwish constantly changes images, has image attribution turned off so so that does not factor in.--GodPray  00:02,7/20/2011 
Many thanks for the response Sannse! I didn't mean to come across overly negative, or to re-hash the old oasis vs old skin debate etc., I just thought I'd point out the implications of the image attribution and how it can encourage that sort of behaviour. It's my personal belief that it is fine to promote the community side of wikis, but done in the right way (ie separate from the content, not mixed in) but this is personal so it's great that we have the choice to opt out of that. I guess I just wanted to point out the flaws in mixing content and community.
In terms of a more representative edit count system, have the staff ever considered having a figure showing how much content you have added to the wiki? Each edit shows a number of bytes added or taken away from the article, perhaps taking all the positive numbers and adding them together. Once again, it would be majorly flawed, and open to gaming, but might give another viewpoint on someone's edit count. Might not be worth all the computing power that would be needed to work it all out--Acer4666 09:53, July 20, 2011 (UTC)

Re:[]

Pro. Point taken. Cook Me Plox 21:57, September 1, 2011 (UTC)

Awesome. Thank you.--Acer4666 21:58, September 1, 2011 (UTC)

Blog post[]

Hi Acer, Just wanted to give you a head's up to a blog post I just posted. If you haven't seen the Technical Update from yesterday, you may want to check out the blog post . I think you'll be excited. ;) Let me know if you have any questions. --Meighan WikiaStaff.png (help forum | blog) 18:35, November 30, 2011 (UTC)

Hi Meighan, thanks for the heads-up. This is definitely a change for the better, I'm glad you (Wikia) have managed to change your minds over this. I'll comment on the specifics of the blog over there :)--Category:Acer4666 12:30, December 1, 2011 (UTC)

Admin Dash[]

Hey Acer, following up from a while ago, I decided to sit down and nuke the rest of the admin dash today. If you still want it completely gone, add this to the rest of the code I gave you before. --GodPray  17:17,12/1/2011 

.AdminDashboardHeader {
  display:none;
}

.AdminDashboardTabs {
}
.AdminDashboardGeneralHeader {
}

Many thanks for doing this Godisme - I have put that onto my global css. I didn't kill the ".AdminDashboardGeneralHeader" as that gives a title to the page, telling you which special page you're on. But very useful, thanks!--Category:Acer4666 18:58, December 1, 2011 (UTC)

Checking in[]

Hi Acer, I wanted to get in touch with you about your comment on the technical blog post. You mentioned that you had to to fix a bunch of things that broke on your wiki - can you tell me in a bit more detail what exactly you needed to fix? I understand your concern with another change - and that it can be frustrating to have to adjust after a product change. I noticed that Wiki 24 isn’t currently using the new nav - have you turned it on and it caused further issues? I would love to hear more from you about it.

The new nav is still in Wikia Labs and we are continuing to collect feedback on it. If you have further thoughts on how you would like to see it improved, please let me know. --Sarah (help forum | blog) 17:35, December 1, 2011 (UTC)

When the divider was removed back in April we (and other wikis) had put icons on the divider. We had to try a few different ways to either restore the divider with css or have the icons push the page content down. We fixed it but we had to check pages with lots of icons, etc. etc., as different things were happening on different pages. The help offered by Wikia Staff wasn't especially helpful. My main point was that we were given rather spurious reasoning for removing the divider, offered up reasoned arguments against it, were ignored, and now you have done a U-turn on the decision with no explanation.
We haven't turned new nav on at Wiki 24, as we don't really want to make it a "testing ground" as it were. I'm guessing this will end up being a mandatory change? The current nav is perfectly adequate for our wiki. I have tried it around wikia, and have left some feedbak somewhere - but basically, my gripe is having two rows of horizontal buttons below each other. When moving (horizontally) along the lower line to get to the desired button, it's very easy to touch the top line which then replaces the lower line with different options. It's something of a "steady hand game" to get to the option I want. Also, I think it is too high up (ie too close to the "entertainment, gaming, lifestyle" bar) so you can often hit that by mistake and up pops that which obscures everything. I think all the extra options are unnecessary (for our wiki), and it would cause usability issues compared with the current nav. But, if consistency is the key to Wikia wikis, I guess we will eventually have to get used to it.--Category:Acer4666 18:58, December 1, 2011 (UTC)
Hi Acer,
Thanks for the further explanation. Customizations using css and js have always been something we allow on Wikia, but we do not provide support when those customizations are broken by a product change. I understand that this can be frustrating since your work hard to create cool customizations - but due to the level of complexity across thousands of wikis its simply something we can’t currently offer support for.
The change to the navigation was done for a number of reasons. One of the biggest complaints we got when we switched from the Monaco to Oasis skin was that the navigation did not offer enough links. The new navigation was designed to offer more links as well as provide more definition (in this case with coloring) to the menu. This design resulted in a horizontal menu for level 1 and 2, and the 3rd level as a dropdown. We are looking into how sensitive the hover state is - I agree at times it feels to move a bit too quick.
We are continuing to collect bug reports and feedback - and have not determined the full roll out of the product yet. Please feel free to share further thoughts. Also, if you would like assistance on re-configuring your local icons let me know. --Sarah (help forum | blog) 01:10, December 2, 2011 (UTC)

Hiding behind a screen[]

Next time you want to leave a message calling me a hypocrite, do it with your actual account. Don't be a sad sap and hide behind your IP address. If you really want to call me a hypocrite when I don't want people editing on my test wiki unless I have asked them. He clearly told me to edit on Wikipedia because I "have a bad attitude", and "shouldn't be on Wikia". And by saying that I'm a hypocrite because I don't want him editing on my test wiki where I don't have people I don't know edit there. The only reason that RT, Sarah, and Rappy messaged me there is because I asked to. Grow up and don't hide behind your IP. – zzi 02:19, January 29, 2012 (UTC)

Jazzi I've never made any attempt to hide my views about a lot of your conduct - recently Wikia has become a lot more erratic about logging people out. The fantastic new message wall makes it impossible to go back and sign a message, so sorry if you thought I was performing the age old sin of "trolling as an IP". My point still stands, and I wasnt gonna sit by and watch you be so hostile to someone. Wikia doesn't allow private wikis. --Category:Acer4666 09:17, January 29, 2012 (UTC)
I wasn't being hostile. I could be hostile, that was not hostile. It's not a private wiki, it's a test wiki. In most people, it's common sense not to edit bomb on someone's test wiki. And I don't know about you, but my test wiki is used for testing and I ask people to help me test things. I don't want people edit bombing when I don't need help with something. – zzi 15:01, January 29, 2012 (UTC)

Your blog comment[]

I edited that message, because that language is inappropriate for Community Central.  Monchoman45  Talk  Contribs  Skystone  00:43,8/18/2012 

The word "pussy"? It means cat. The phrase "since pussy was a cat" is a phrase from the north of england that has been used for hundreds of years, since before it had any rude connotations. And the context of its use clearly illustrates its meaning as cat rather than any inappropriate thing you have in mind. Next you'll be censoring the first syllable of the word "country". It's all about context--Category:Acer4666 00:49, August 18, 2012 (UTC)
Maybe hundreds of years ago it only meant "a long time", but not all of us live in northern England, and to those of us who don't, it appears to be very offensive. Please don't use it here anymore.  Monchoman45  Talk  Contribs  Skystone  01:07,8/18/2012 
Ok, but if I see the word "fanny pack" on this site I'm gonna kick off (jk; I'm aware of other cultures and can recognise when someone's not being deliberately offensive)--Category:Acer4666 01:51, August 18, 2012 (UTC)

Math Wiki[]

Master Acer - I've left a message on your MathWiki talk page.

See you around, figuratively, HiddenVale (talk) 22:04, September 15, 2012 (UTC)

Ok, will check it out--Category:Acer4666 22:11, September 15, 2012 (UTC)

Non-Message Wall[]

Now how, Acer, does everyone know to use your talk-page, which is invisible from a default profile, instead of your Message Wall. OR I should say more than your Message-Wall? HiddenVale 02:38, October 1, 2012 (UTC)

I don't know if people know or not - I have put a note on my profile about my preference. I think message wall has too many faults and shouldn't be encouraged--Category:Acer4666 23:08, October 7, 2012 (UTC)
Ah. That's understandable. HiddenVale 01:11, October 8, 2012 (UTC)