Google bombing encouragedEdit
Amazing really. The wiki has an official policy to gain as high a rating on Google as possible, by acts which would be considered negative on any other site on the internet. I plan on making the article under my administration as interesting and useful as can be, not trying to go out of my way just to make as many separate pages just to get a search engine's attention. If you believe information should be split into separate articles to make it easier to read, then discuss it, of course. I encourage all feedback from anyone who is interested in the content of the article itself. Dream Focus 18:58, 15 November 2008 (UTC)
Wikias I founded or am an administrator atEdit
- I adopted the Gantz Wikia some time ago, it haven't almost nothing there and almost dead, and have done a considerable amount of work on it, and attracted other contributors as well.
- I am the administrator of the Voltron Wikia which I founded, there nothing but a blank stub there before, I trying to preserve information being destroyed on the Wikipedia.
- I am also the administrator of the Total Annihilation Wikia it almost totally empty, having just one or two pages and a few unrelated images someone had put there before.
- I create the wiki for Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri since I enjoy the game, and no one had made one yet(Probably because it was released more than 10 years ago without any sequels).
- I decided to stop the rampant destruction of manga articles on the Wikipedia by adopting the long abandoned Manga Wiki, it nothing but a redirect since those there had given up on it. I then exported thousands of articles from Wikipedia, to be imported there.
- I created the Taylor Swift wikia since there were a dozen stubs but no actual wiki yet.
- I also become one of the administrators at the Gaming wiki for a short period of time, before loosing that as I irritated a few others by mass importing over every single game related article from Wikipedia, that over ten thousand articles, it now accounting for most of the articles over there. They didn't have much to begin with, so that should've helped. But alas, they didn't see things that way, so whatever. I got other wikis to focus on.
- I am an administrator at the Neon Genesis Evangelion wikia now, and have successfully imported over all the articles from that great series from the Wikipedia. Two are up for deletion now, and the rest are potentially threatened, most of the related articles over there going to be wiped out, like they did to other series in the past. Start with one or two, then take them all out. So its good people can now find that information somewhere else, and the wikia does allow people to expand things out more so.
Removing inappropriate adsEdit
Its been awhile since I went through this. For future reference for anyone out there, if you see something advertised which isn't appropriate, just contact a staff member, and they'll look it over and remove it. I started a topic  and someone suggested I contact them, they not reading the forums that often, and the situation was quickly resolved. I remember when I first started here they were showing some very graphic ads about male enhancements, and I complained , as I'm sure did others, and they got rid of those, never to return. This time around it was another wikia being advertised, it just too bloody and disturbing for young and sensitive viewers. Plus I personally don't like seeing a woman in that position(see link to forum to see the picture). Remember, if you see anything, complain. Sometimes things go unnoticed otherwise. Dream Focus 06:32, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
- They replaced it with another image even worse. More blood in it, still showing a woman with her head to the floor.  So I emailed them, asking them to remove it and look over all the images they have to advertise that wikia. Dream Focus 16:56, November 5, 2010 (UTC)
How to easily make Wikipedia infoboxes work on WikiaEdit
- Go to Wikipedia's export page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Export
- Note that the templates you want are in the category Infobox templates, so enter "Infobox templates" into the top part and hit enter. Click on the "include template" option so you can get any subtemplates. Also get everything from the categories containing anything else you might need, such as the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:If-then-else_templates
- Export that as a file. Then go to the import page on your own wikia, by entering special:Import into the search bar. Choose that file and load it up. Note that only someone with administrator rights can import things to a wikia.
- If a red link appears saying Template:subst: then click it, and create a page there which is totally blank. It may vanish instantly, or take a few hours, since Wikia's servers don't update things instantly.
- If after doing this things aren't working 100% perfectly, let me know at once. I don't mind helping you out with it. Dream Focus 00:11, October 31, 2010 (UTC)
Update on this. You can't just create a blank page. You have to create a page with something on it. Just type a word, or bang the keyboard at random. Doesn't matter. Now save it. Edit that page again, now that it is created, and erase everything in it to make it blank. Then save that. And now it'll work fine. You can do this to eliminate templates you don't like also, to get rid of all those pesky hater tags from articles you import from Wikipedia. Templates complaining about notability, references, fancruft, in universe, and whatnot.
You might want to lock the template pages also so that no automatic bots anywhere can reset your changes, and you don't accidentally import in something newer when you are importing articles along with their templates. Dream Focus 17:22, November 24, 2010 (UTC)
Ever import something from Wikipedia and notice red links appearing all over the bottom of some articles, for categories that you don't seem to call from anywhere? That means they were hidden categories over at Wikipedia. You add in the template hiddencat, which means just put it between two sets of squiggly brackets like any template has, inside the category's page, and it becomes hidden from anyone but an administrator or perhaps those who have the settings to view it in their user settings somewhere. Sometimes these categories are loaded up by other templates, such as the one that tells everyone you have Japanese text in the article, just in case anyone actually wanted to proof read it to make certain someone hadn't changed it to something naughty as a prank. Other times they load up when there is a fact or citation needed tag someone in the article. Some of them might be useful to some people, but you don't want a dozen or so appearing at the bottom of an article, junking it up for everyone who goes there. Dream Focus 17:22, November 24, 2010 (UTC)
Interesting articles about WikiaEdit
- http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2007/03/01/8401010/index.htm Dream Focus 12:21, November 17, 2010 (UTC)