Wikia

Community Central

Comments14

VroniPlag Wiki wins Zedler Award 2012

Avatar July 9, 2012 User blog:Avatar
Revision as of 19:03, July 9, 2012 by Avatar (wall | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Zedler-award

Zedler Award 2012

Last Sunday I attended the Zedler Prize Award ceremony in Berlin, Germany as a representative for the VroniPlag Wiki. The Zedler "Free Knowledge" Award is awarded by Wikimedia Germany to projects which exceptionally support the idea of free knowledge in the last year. VroniPlag Wiki was one of the nominees in the category "External Knowledge Project of the Year" and I'm more than happy to say that VroniPlag Wiki was chosen as the winner!

VroniPlag Wiki is the follow up wiki to GuttenPlag Wiki, which was used to examine and document the plagiarism in the dissertation of the former German Minister of Defense Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg (who resigned because of this scandal). VroniPlag Wiki documented many similar follow-up cases and within its more than 7,300 pages over 25 cases of plagiarism by politicians and celebrities are documented. In almost any case where the universities started an investigation, the person in question lost their title.

The laudatory speech was given by John Hendrik Weitzmann (of Creative Commons and iRight.info) and he emphasized that out of all nominated projects VroniPlag Wiki left the most enduring impression in 2011. The project had the biggest public perception and despite all criticism dealt fairly with this important topic.

The community itself has stated how incredible useful our platform was to enable their work. That left me with an incredible good feeling - congratulations again to VroniPlag Wiki and the VroniPlag community!

A few impressions:

• All Zedler Award winners. Left: me and User:PlagProf:-) (Photo: Raimond Spekking)
  • Pawel Richter welcomes all guests to the award ceremony (Photo: Raimond Spekking)
  • VroniPlag receiving award by John Hendrik Weitzmann (Photo: Raimond Spekking)
  • Zedler Award logo
  • Zedler Award 2012 certificate

Want to receive updates on the latest Staff blog posts? Then click here to follow this blog.

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki