Software Design and Development work. 11/02/2014
Headline text Edit
1. Explain the meaning of intellectual property.
intellectual property is a legal concept which refers to the creations of the mind for which exclusive rights are recognized.
2. What is the difference between copyright and patent?
Copyright is exclusive rights to a particular expression, idea, information or original creation. A patant protects an invention process, device or method, which is deemed useful and new.
3. Explain the following terminologies:
o Software licence: A legal instrument governing the use or redistribution of software. o Reverse engineering: reproduction of another manufacturers product following detailed examination of its construction or composition. o Derivative works: In copyright law, a derivative work is an expressive creation that includes major, copyright-protected elements of an original.
4. What are the differences between the following licence types?
o Freeware: software available free of charge o Shareware: software that is available free of charge and often distributed informally for evaluation after which a fee may be requested for continued use. o Open-source: Software with the source code available to the consumer. o Public domain: Software with no ownership (copyright, trademark or patent)
5. Using the Internet, find and download a software licence agreement. Rewrite the licence agreement keeping the same meaning but using a simpler language.
By moving,loading,running "DOOM 2" on your computer hard drive, ram, or other storage you agree to the terms of this agreement.
1. You own a license for doom2
2. You agree that the software will not be shipped transferred or exported into any country in violation of us law.
3. Modifications to the software will work only with the full version.
4. You shall not: -rent -sell -lease or lend -offer the software on a pay per play basis -distribute software by any means. -commercially exploit the software -disassemble, reverse engineer, decompile, modify (except as permitted by section 3.) -translate -reproduce -publicly display -prepare or develop derivative works based on the software.
4. You may only make copies of the CD-ROM, onto your computer harddrive, onto your ram and one (1) backup copy on a second hard drive. 5. No warranties 6. No warranties, unless there is a defect 90 days from date of purchase.
6. Explain in your own words, the meanings of the terms in the software licence agreement you have examined.
liability: who is at fault