So nothing has been posted about this on Wikia yet so I'm going to go ahead and post it.
The Heartbleed Bug
What is the Heartbleed Bug?
- The Heartbleed bug is a serious vulnerability in the vastly popular cryptographic software OpenSSL. If you're familiar with what OpenSSL is then you can just skip over this next paragraph.
- OpenSSL is an open sourced implementation of the two protocols, SSL and TLS. Basically what it does is it encrypts your connection to a web server. Have you ever seen the little green lock symbol on the left side of your URL bar? That means that the website you are connected to is using some form of encryption to protect you.
What does this have to do with me?
- OpenSSL is used by loads of popular websites such as:
- and more (You can check out a list of which sites are vulnerable and which sites are not vulnerable here, just use Ctrl + F to search for a specific site.
- Although the majority of these websites claim to have been patched now it is still advised that you change your password.
- Luckily for us Wikia is not vulnerable to Heartbleed, so those of us who use a password which is not used on any other sites should be fine, however if you share one or more passwords on different sites (especially on a site which may be vulnerable) you should definately change your password. However it's been suggested that you change all your passwords for things like:
- Bank accounts
- Email Accounts
- File storage
- any other sites you use which might contain sensitive data regardless of whether they share a password with another site or not.
- We should be hearing more about the bug in the next few days, but for anyone who wants more information about Heartbleed you can visit this site.