Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we’re posting this on a Tuesday to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
- The profile redesign will be launching this week (probably Thursday).
Major Bugs Fixed
- Updates to the Admin Dashboard: the sidebar will be removed from Special Pages. Wiki navigation will be added back to the view, including "Random Page", the search box, and "Wiki Activity". The "back to dashboard" and "exit" links will be removed from the header to make space for these links (you can return to the dashboard by clicking on the Admin Dashboard title link or the tabs for general and advanced view).
- We added an interstitial popup for pasting text into the visual mode of Chrome, which strips out formatting. This is because Chrome was adding a lot of excessive line breaks on pasting. We know this temporary fix is not ideal, and we plan to improve it.
- Users were unable to edit existing blog posts in Monobook effectively when the new editor was enabled.
Other Notable Changes
- We're introducing a change to the recently-adjusted category links functionality. Now, links that were formerly red links will have class="newcategory" added to their code, so you can change the view to red links in your personal CSS. To maintain consistency across Wikia, however, we will not be allowing this change in wiki custom CSS.
- We've made some changes for iPad users so that the top navigation (both for all of wikia and wiki-specific nav) can be accessed without needing a mouse hover.
- The redesigned editor will now remember if a user has already been shown a notification alert.
Select Known Issues
- Image and avatar re-uploading is experiencing delays. Sometimes it takes a few hours to display the updated version.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.