Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we’re posting this on a Tuesday to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
- LyricWiki mobile app is being released to the iTunes App Store this week. We've also released updates for both Game Guides and LyricWiki mobile apps.
Major Bugs Fixed
- We're continuing to fix bugs with the Editor Redesign (available for preview in Wikia Labs). This week, we've improved support for users with JS disabled, fixed a glitch with the "Preview mode" notice, and fixed an issue with edit conflicts. The missing "Back to Page" link will also start displaying again.
- Navigation was having issues in IE9 when not in compatibility mode.
- For some languages (and for words that included special characters) search suggestions were encoded improperly and sending people to blank pages.
Other Notable Changes
- At the request of some of our commenters at Community Central, we're improving the readability of Wikia Labs logs as they appear in Recent Changes.
- Previously, the default setting for welcome messages was for them to be signed by the most recently active admin, helper, or staff memeber. We're changing this behavior so that only admins will sign, unless there are no active admins for more than 60 days.
Select Known Issues
- Clicking the "Share" button on image currently sends a malformed URL to Facebook or Twitter.
- The "Member since" data is still incorrect on a large number of accounts.
- Section titles are missing from the preview functionality in the redesigned editor when you create a new section.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.
Update 7/6/11: We've made a change to our code that has created some temporary layout issues (namely, that the "edit" link is appearing on the left side of section titles instead of the right in some places). This is a temporary layout glitch that should clear itself up within 24 hours; however, if it's bugging you anywhere, you can force it to clear faster by adding ?action=purge to the end of any URL. If you've made any CSS or JS modifications that interact with this code, you need to check those modifications to adjust to this change.