Every week, Wikia rolls out a new set of site improvements -- a varied blend of satisfying bug fixes and exciting new site features. For our many technical-minded users who like to stay aware of these changes, we're starting a new report to summarize the major developments. Our first one is right here!
Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so our current experiment is to release these technical overviews on Tuesdays to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
Key New Features
- Launched Wikia Labs. You can learn more about Wikia Labs here but keep in mind this product is still being actively tested and developed.
- Redesigned the process for creating a new wiki
- Switched our email system to SendGrid, which will decrease bugs and bounces
- Launched our Game Guides mobile app, now live at the Android App Store (coming soon for iPhone)
Major Bugs Fixed
- Wikia footer was broken on wikis
- Anchored comment linking failed when new page of comments was added
- Special:Contact was showing up in English for German Wikis
- Retroactively awarded founder badges for existing wikis that have enabled achievements.
- Ampersand (&) encoding now works properly in page titles.
Other Notable Changes
- The latest round of A/B Testing is complete.
- We are updating some of our emails to founders and editors of the wiki. We hope you will find them more helpful and informative.
Select Known Issues
(A partial list of things we’re still working on. We appreciate your patience.)
- A very small number of features might still be missing MediaWiki messages. If a MediaWiki message is missing, you might see a title to a page or part of a feature <that-looks-like-this>. Please use Special:Contact to let us know if you see any more, but we anticipate that a select few of these message issues are left.
- Our new email unsubscribe feature has had a few minor bugs, usually relating to the system not recognizing the correct email address for the user. Remember that you can always change your email settings at Special:Preferences if the unsubscribe link attached to one of our emails is not working properly for you.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.