Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we’re posting this on a Tuesday to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
Major Bugs FixedEdit
- On Monobook, we've fixed the layout of article comments.
- Flickr images should now be pulled into wikis correctly via the Special:ImportFreeImages tool. Previously, links in the automatically-generating licensing template were leading to non-exist pages.
- Wikis using the Google Maps extension were reporting that the editor interface to add a point to a map added text right-to-left.
- User profiles (the header, not necessarily the wiki page itself) can now be edited on iPads and other similar mobile devices.
Other Notable ChangesEdit
- We're switching the order of display for names on the top of your Profile to emphasize the name you prefer to be called in conversation. If you prefer to be called by your username, you can leave the alternate name field blank.
- We've added the ability to follow a user's entire wall in Message Wall. Just click the "Follow" button in the toolbar, as you do with any other page.
- Chevrons (little drop-down arrows) are coming to the second level on new Wiki Navigation.
- We've added functionality to the wiki navigation editor in which your menu's width will be checked before you hit publish. Once you are done editing on the wiki's navigation menu, you will hit the next button. This will produce a preview popup which will check the width of your menu. If the menu items is too wide, you will be alerted and asked to edit down the menu. If the width fits, you will be displayed the publish button which you can use the save your changes.
Select Known IssuesEdit
- Edit and Delete buttons are still missing from article comments in Monobook. We're working on it, and it will be fixed soon. In the meantime, you can access those features by adding ?useskin=wikia to the end of a URL.
- We are continuing to deal with intermittent cases where the QuickStats field of AdminDashboard is not pulling in data
- Changes made to a wiki's theme through Special:ThemeDesigner are taking a long time (a few hours) to appear on a wiki.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.