Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. As most of you know, normally our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we post this update on Tuesday to give you advance notice. However, this week the update will occur on Thursday. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
- In the Wikia Mobile skin, tapping the Search icon will automatically place the cursor in the search field and enable your keyboard interface. Less tapping to do your search!
- Also in the Wikia Mobile skin, when you navigate to a page that does not yet exist, the navigation bar will remain visible at the top.
Major Bugs FixedEdit
- We patched an error where editing on Internet Explorer 8 was not possible. That fix went live as soon as it was completed, but we wanted to confirm this for users of that web browser who may have used other browsers for the last few days.
- Chat module slider now works to show who is in chat.
- Wikia.com should no longer showcase bots or blocked users in wiki promotions.
- The mini editor now retains HTML tags when editing a former post.
Other Notable ChangesEdit
- Anonymous users will no longer see a floating toolbar at the bottom of the page. That toolbar was serving to be the equivalent of the floating toolbar logged-in users see. Wikia does intend to refill in the toolbar area for anonymous users later this year.
- The space between lines in the Editor's source mode has been slightly increased.
- To help distinguish global rights better, the 'staff' and 'authenticated' flag will appear on the user profile in addition to their highest local right. For example, if a Wikia staff member is also a chat moderator on a wiki they are involved with in their free time, you will see both "staff" and "chat moderator" flags on their user profile.
Select Known IssuesEdit
- Revert links are missing for page moves in 1.19 wikis.
- RSS feeds aren't showing results when using the 'short' option.
- Tabber and TabView aren't playing nicely together. Discipline actions are in order.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.
Want to be notified about Technical Updates when they are posted? Then click here to follow this blog.