Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we’re posting this on a Tuesday to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
Major Bugs FixedEdit
- The chat server crashed periodically over the last week, but the underlying issue was found and fixed.
- We also fixed the "Error communicating with MediaWiki server" message that was appearing on chat for some wikis.
- The link on the Community Messages bubble was redirecting to Special:ActivityFeed, not Special:WikiActivity.
- An issue with our analytics software was inserting greatly inflated numbers into the Quick Stats part of Admin Dashboard.
Other Notable ChangesEdit
- The floating toolbar will now also appear on the Visual Editor edit page.
- The Visual Editor will no longer appear on namespaces critical to Semantic MediaWiki functionality - Property, Form, Category, and Concept.
- Wikia Staff has a new tool that will allow us to refresh Special pages if data becomes outdated due to caching issues. Please use Special:Contact for such requests.
- Special:WikiaLabs now redirects to Special:WikiFeatures.
Select Known IssuesEdit
- Private Messages on Special:Chat are not working for a number of wikis.
- Unfortunately, the oft-appearing bug of images not refreshing after a re-upload has returned. Our technicians have identified the underlying issue but a fix is not yet in place.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.
Update: 9/23/11, 5:44pm UTC (10:44am U.S. Pacific):
Chat is currently down. We're working on the issue, and we expect it will take a few hours. Thanks for your patience. (Now resolved.)