Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we’re posting this on a Tuesday to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
Major Bugs FixedEdit
- The chat server crashed periodically over the last week, but the underlying issue was found and fixed.
- We also fixed the "Error communicating with MediaWiki server" message that was appearing on chat for some wikis.
- The link on the Community Messages bubble was redirecting to Special:ActivityFeed, not Special:WikiActivity.
- An issue with our analytics software was inserting greatly inflated numbers into the Quick Stats part of Admin Dashboard.
Other Notable ChangesEdit
- The floating toolbar will now also appear on the Visual Editor edit page.
- The Visual Editor will no longer appear on namespaces critical to Semantic MediaWiki functionality - Property, Form, Category, and Concept.
- Wikia Staff has a new tool that will allow us to refresh Special pages if data becomes outdated due to caching issues. Please use Special:Contact for such requests.
- Special:WikiaLabs now redirects to Special:WikiFeatures.
Select Known IssuesEdit
- Private Messages on Special:Chat are not working for a number of wikis.
- Unfortunately, the oft-appearing bug of images not refreshing after a re-upload has returned. Our technicians have identified the underlying issue but a fix is not yet in place.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.
Update: 9/23/11, 5:44pm UTC (10:44am U.S. Pacific):
Chat is currently down. We're working on the issue, and we expect it will take a few hours. Thanks for your patience. (Now resolved.)