Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we’re posting this on a Tuesday to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
Major Bugs FixedEdit
- The "edit this menu" in wiki navigation dropdowns was missing for admins.
- Wikia Labs will no longer appear in the "My Tools" section.
- Photo gallery slideshows were not updating the slideshow position number after flipping to the next image (i.e. It would always say "1 of <number of images>.")
Other Notable ChangesEdit
- We have made some changes to our backend architecture to help with image reuploading. As many of you have noted, uploading a new version of an image does not always regenerate thumbnails. We have added in a system to allow purging to be moderated, preventing a cascading failure. This means that at high load times, there still may be a delay in the new image showing, but this delay will clear and won't cause later issues with all images. If you upload an image and do not see a change immediately, please give it a moment to see if it catches up. If you don't see the proper image in a reasonable timeframe, please contact us with the specific details. To start with, please let us know of any images not clearing after an hour or two (we expect them to clear much faster). We'll be monitoring this closely!
- Based on feedback from a number of users, we've added a label to the Edit Summary box on the Visual Editor to make it more visible.
Select Known IssuesEdit
- The Welcome tool seems to be ignoring custom greetings or pulling the greeting from the wrong MediaWiki message.
- Automatic wiki adoptions on new wikis has stopped working.
- Special:Chat is causing some crashing issues on iPad.
- Chat will stop scrolling if the window isn't selected and an emoticon is used. Thanks to Rappy 4187 and Tm T for working out the triggers for this bug.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.