As many of you may know, Puerto Rico and several nearby islands have been devastated by Hurricane Maria. Many of them were already suffering damage from the previous Irma.
- As of today, the entire island's power grid is offline.
- While some places have generators, most do not have sufficient ones.
- Flooding has rendered several towns unacceunssable.
- It is estimated that they will not be able to get power to hospitals for several weeks.
Puerto Rico has limited supplies of food, sanitary water, medical products, sanitary products, and batteries. While the island did have some ability to develop these things; between flooding, massive wind damage, and loss of power; Puerto Rico's stocks have been mostly lost along with their manufacturing capabilitie…Read more >
A little while ago, it was announced that Achievements was being deprecated. Achievements will still be supported, but it will require intervention from Staff to install or uninstall, and development on it has stopped. We do not know for how long this extension will still be supported.
Reading between the lines, I think achievements will become officially unsupported at some point within a few years. This is a major issue. Many smaller wikis rely on achievements as an incentive to get new users and maintain them. That got me thinking: "if achievements is officially abandoned, what other means do we have to maintain a user population and gain new users?". Here are some ideas I've had to maintain a user population with achievements on its las…Read more >
As many of you are already aware, Wikia is disabling verbatim for a handful of cases: mainly for loading .js pages, and for a few other situations. However, I bring ugly news. This is just phase one. Wikia is planning on removing Verbatim entirely. As many of you know, this will mean migrating a lot of code. Some features will be impossible to port. This plan was revealed to me by a staff member who emailed me. Here are the emails:
- Tim Quievryn, Sep 18, 2:56 AM:
- Hello Deadcoder,
- Thanks for contacting Wikia.
- Since the JS restriction was put in place, it does seem as though we have had some wonkiness with Verbatim sometimes failing to load. However, I'm going to level with you - we are removing Verbatim from our servers in the next few weeks. We…
Hello, I'm Deadcoder. Most of you know me for my work and episode review blog on the Code Lyoko Wiki. But today, I'm blogging about a serious matter that's important to every Wikia user, from anon accounts to Wikia staff, to everyone in between: Security. In this post, I'll post 3 additional security tips that you can follow to make your communities safer. If you want more tips, read this post: User blog:Deadcoder/5 Security and Safety Tips For Wikia Users.
0. Have a wiki security policy. This rule is for Wiki leaders. As a leader of your community, you have a duty to ensure the well being of your community, and part of this is protecting user safety. With that in mind, you should have established policies to protect users in your wiki. You…Read more >
Hello, I'm Deadcoder. Most of you know me for my work and episode review blog on the Code Lyoko Wiki. But today, I'm blogging about a serious matter that's important to every Wikia user, from anon accounts to Wikia staff, to everyone in between: Security. In this post, I'll post 5 security tips that you can follow to make your communities safer.
0: Use HTTPS whenever possible. Most links that go somewhere other than the same website start with a set of letters, followed by a colon and two slashes, such as "http://", "https://", or "ftp://". This is the Protocol of the link. Whenever possible, use https instead of http. The difference with https is that the transmission is encrypted and authenticated. This means that third party scum "NSA" h…Read more >